Sam Houston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sam Houston

I hunted SHNF this year for first time and had an awesome time. I scouted alot and really hunted hard but on deer most of the time. Missed bow doe and shot a 4.5 yr old 150 lb. 6 pt. I was as proud of that buck as any I have ever killed!

I haven't seen any SHNF posts. How did everyone else do?

Also, never saw or heard a turkey. Are there ares in SHNF with birds?

Congratulations on the big buck dawg...
    Ive rifle hunted Sam Houston this year and got a doe..i saw a bunch of does and 2 mature 8 point bucks mostly off FM 2025 near Coldspring. I just bought a bow so i am looking to bow hunt this season. what area do you hunt? I would assume the hunting pressure should be less during bow season and the deer shouldnt be spooked too bad during bow season?

Comment

Nice deer dawg. Just started hunting deer on public lands this year. No luck this first year but I did alot of scouting. Applesprings has got some really good looking woods lots of sign

Comment

This thread is pointless without pictures.

Comment

Axix Buck - This was my first year hunting SHNF. I began with the bow season and there was very little hunting pressure. Even so, the deer were incredibly spooky! I had a particular mature doe that I swear was hunting me. She'd come in and I'd swear she was looking for me. I moved stand a number of times but she probably busted me on 1/2 of my hunts. If I hadn't been so far from my truck, I would have killed her during first day of gun season. I found alot of deer but I don't think I ever found "relaxed" deer. When the rut started, movement was better and the bucks were more preoccupied with the girls than me.

Just like anywhere, I found hot white oaks and I found deer.

Comment

gdawg-thanks for the post--Ive always wanted to hunt that forest..thems some thick woods down there, how bad are the skeeters in Oct., been running 45 for years and every time I drive through that area it's about all I can do to not pull over and go exploring...maybe I'll get a chance to this year. Thanks Rick

Comment

I had a lease on the edge of the SHNF near Coldsprings/Evergreen. I saw turkeys pretty regularly during deer season. My uncle killed some nice deer off that lease and I saw a straight up monster chasing a doe about 70 yards away but couldn't get a shot on him. Me, my dad, and a couple brothers have bagged quite a few deer out of there around Lake Conroe and on the Coldsprings side.

Comment

I am told by one of the guys that has hunted the area for years that the TPW feed and set up cameras during off-season to monitor herd. He said they have shown him some absolute monster on film. When scouting starts, they go nocturnal or move into non-hunted areas. The only chance at them is if the have their nose up a doe's bootay during the peak of the rut.

Comment

When does the rut normally occur in SHNF?

Comment

Ive rifle hunted Sam Houston this year mostly off FM 2025. As far as the rut, Id have to say that the activity picks up in Mid october and goes as far as mid november. I totally agree with gdawg that as soon as rifle season starts, they go nocturnal or move into non-hunted areas. I have always seen does and bucks during scouting/bow season relaxed and feeding in clear cuts. Come rifle season, there is still sign of the deer but you wont find them in the open at all. Thats the main reason i bought a bow this year so i can work that to my favor. By the way gdawg drop me a line ..i live 45min from Samhouston..may be we can get together and share some tips
                    Last edited by axisbuck; 04-23-2007, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Where I hunted near Coldspring/Point Blank on the edge of the SHNF, the rut was usually over or near the end when rifle season started.

Comment

Shnf

I found 2 awesome areas during my pre-season scouting, but when bow season started, neither area produced. I saw 1 spike buck that had a nice sized body. He never came close enough for an ethical shot. I did locate 1 area where I found awesome rubs and scrapes, along with a tampon that someone used as a scent wick, so others were hunting this area also. I may return there for bow season as these were gun hunters that had the spot marked {I saw no one there during bow season}. I have 1 more area that is very secluded and difficult to get to. I want to scout it as we move closer to the season. Woody

Comment

Originally posted by woody View Post
                          I found 2 awesome areas during my pre-season scouting, but when bow season started, neither area produced. I saw 1 spike buck that had a nice sized body. He never came close enough for an ethical shot. I did locate 1 area where I found awesome rubs and scrapes, along with a tampon that someone used as a scent wick, so others were hunting this area also. I may return there for bow season as these were gun hunters that had the spot marked {I saw no one there during bow season}. I have 1 more area that is very secluded and difficult to get to. I want to scout it as we move closer to the season. Woody
                          Woody, quit telling everyone where I hunt!!! lol

Comment

Zac, was that your tampon in the tree? shame on you for leaving the wrapper on the ground. Man, whoever hunted this spot had a chance to take a nice buck. The rubs I found {this person marked} were so awesome. The tree bark looked like the outside of a coconut with all the wood fibers splintered. If this is your spot, we might be shatring it during bow season as i have it marked on my GPS. Woody

Comment

Working...
                            X