Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #201
Fishndude
Pope & Young
 
Fishndude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, Texas
Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWRENCH View Post
First year for me looking into this type of camera . I saw a solar panel that has a battery built in , so I would think you also install the batterys in camera . This would give you much more battery life ?? https://www.amazon.com/HCO-Supply-17...ilt+in+battery
Buy the Covert solar panel only!! Don’t try to do anything other than their panel and the rechargeables that go in the camera.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 09:24 PM   #202
Btturbo
Four Point
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Round Rock
Hunt In: Burleson County
Default

Would similar work for Spartan Go Cam?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Btturbo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2018, 06:42 PM   #203
drop dead fred
Pope & Young
 
drop dead fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Willis
Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
Buy the Covert solar panel only!! Don’t try to do anything other than their panel and the rechargeables that go in the camera.
I just purchased the solar panel and was told it works best if ran to a 12v then from there to camera with rechargeables... seems like a lot to get a camera to work with a solar panel.
drop dead fred is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2018, 06:48 PM   #204
Mike D
Pope & Young
 
Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default Covert solar panel + enloops

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post
I just purchased the solar panel and was told it works best if ran to a 12v then from there to camera with rechargeables... seems like a lot to get a camera to work with a solar panel.


You bought the Covert solar panel? Who told you to buy a 12v battery?

On the new covert panels you just buy a 6V feeder battery and put it in the pouch on the panel then plug it into your camera.

You will need at least 4 rechargeable AA batteries in the camera.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2018, 07:01 PM   #205
Fishndude
Pope & Young
 
Fishndude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, Texas
Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post
I just purchased the solar panel and was told it works best if ran to a 12v then from there to camera with rechargeables... seems like a lot to get a camera to work with a solar panel.
Their panel, 12 rechargeables in the camera and done. Why would you wanna mess with another external component that’s not necessary? All 3 of mine are running this way up to 1.5 years without touching it.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2018, 07:05 PM   #206
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young
 
Booner Sooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Corinth
Hunt In: Southeastern Oklahoma
Default

Good info here.
Booner Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2018, 07:18 PM   #207
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
Their panel, 12 rechargeables in the camera and done. Why would you wanna mess with another external component that’s not necessary? All 3 of mine are running this way up to 1.5 years without touching it.



Same here. I have three set up like this I watch and know of 8 others off the top of my head that do the same.. No need for a 6 volt or 12 volt.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2018, 07:19 PM   #208
Easttxhunterr
Ten Point
 
Easttxhunterr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Splendora, Tx
Hunt In: Etoile, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Same here. I have three set up like this I watch and know of 8 others off the top of my head that do the same.. No need for a 6 volt or 12 volt.


Mines an anomaly I guess


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Easttxhunterr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2018, 07:21 PM   #209
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easttxhunterr View Post
Mines an anomaly I guess


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Well you do need sun to be able to get to your panel...
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2018, 07:23 PM   #210
Easttxhunterr
Ten Point
 
Easttxhunterr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Splendora, Tx
Hunt In: Etoile, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Well you do need sun to be able to get to your panel...


Gets plenty of sun at current location. Since I turned on the 24hr delay, it stays at 60%


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Easttxhunterr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2018, 07:25 PM   #211
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easttxhunterr View Post
Gets plenty of sun at current location. Since I turned on the 24hr delay, it stays at 60%


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



all mine are on Real Time..

Last edited by Smart; 06-30-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2018, 07:27 PM   #212
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easttxhunterr View Post
Gets plenty of sun at current location. Since I turned on the 24hr delay, it stays at 60%


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Then an anomaly it is..


Wonder if you have a bad battery in your group. One bad cell will throw off the reading of the whole group.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2018, 07:32 PM   #213
drop dead fred
Pope & Young
 
drop dead fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Willis
Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO
Default

I wasn’t running the covert panel with my eneloops and it didn’t work.. so I bought the panel so when the 12v was mentioned i was like man another component! And i noticed the 6v pouch on the back so i assumed it was true.
drop dead fred is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2018, 07:38 PM   #214
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post
I wasn’t running the covert panel with my eneloops and it didn’t work.. so I bought the panel so when the 12v was mentioned i was like man another component! And i noticed the 6v pouch on the back so i assumed it was true.

You were running the eneloops without a panel?
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2018, 07:41 PM   #215
drop dead fred
Pope & Young
 
drop dead fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Willis
Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
You were running the eneloops without a panel?
Without a covert panel....but a panel yes
drop dead fred is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2018, 07:42 PM   #216
Easttxhunterr
Ten Point
 
Easttxhunterr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Splendora, Tx
Hunt In: Etoile, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Then an anomaly it is..


Wonder if you have a bad battery in your group. One bad cell will throw off the reading of the whole group.


Hmmm might be something to try


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Easttxhunterr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2018, 07:46 PM   #217
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post
Without a covert panel....but a panel yes



Ahhhh ok..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2018, 08:45 PM   #218
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young
 
CastAndBlast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Hunt In: Liberty Co.
Default Covert solar panel + enloops

Am I the only one that thinks coverts solar panel sucks for mounting?

I could see if I had a flat surface to mount it on, but mount/zip tying it to a tree is difficult to get it to face the sun if there isn’t a horizontal branch close enough that the cord will reach.

Granted, during deer season, my cameras/panels move a lot since we are hunting trails. If they stayed at a feeder, I could make something to mount them on. However, if I want to put the camera on a big oak tree, I can’t do anything but hang the solar panel on the tree and hope for the best.

My old moultrie panels mount to a bracket that I could strap to a tree and manipulate the bracket. Maybe I need to fabricate something similar that I can strap the covert panel to.

Unless y’all have a better idea...

Last edited by CastAndBlast; 06-30-2018 at 08:48 PM.
CastAndBlast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2018, 10:43 PM   #219
drop dead fred
Pope & Young
 
drop dead fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Willis
Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastAndBlast View Post
Am I the only one that thinks coverts solar panel sucks for mounting?

I could see if I had a flat surface to mount it on, but mount/zip tying it to a tree is difficult to get it to face the sun if there isn’t a horizontal branch close enough that the cord will reach.

Granted, during deer season, my cameras/panels move a lot since we are hunting trails. If they stayed at a feeder, I could make something to mount them on. However, if I want to put the camera on a big oak tree, I can’t do anything but hang the solar panel on the tree and hope for the best.

My old moultrie panels mount to a bracket that I could strap to a tree and manipulate the bracket. Maybe I need to fabricate something similar that I can strap the covert panel to.

Unless y’all have a better idea...
It comes across cheap made imo i may be completely wrong and i agree it was the first thing that came to mind when i saw it as well. How would someone mount this? Luckily i can lay mine flat on my feeder stand in Mexico.
drop dead fred is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2018, 10:48 PM   #220
Fishndude
Pope & Young
 
Fishndude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, Texas
Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties
Default

I view it as versatile? I’ve got one wrapped around a creosote pole. One hanging from a limb in a tree, and one strapped to a feeder. I Don’t think they’re cheaply made. Better than set inside a cheap *** plastic frame.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2018, 11:08 PM   #221
drop dead fred
Pope & Young
 
drop dead fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Willis
Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
I view it as versatile? I’ve got one wrapped around a creosote pole. One hanging from a limb in a tree, and one strapped to a feeder. I Don’t think they’re cheaply made. Better than set inside a cheap *** plastic frame.
I very well may be wrong, but that was just my first impression.
drop dead fred is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2018, 11:23 PM   #222
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young
 
CastAndBlast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Hunt In: Liberty Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post
It comes across cheap made imo i may be completely wrong and i agree it was the first thing that came to mind when i saw it as well. How would someone mount this? Luckily i can lay mine flat on my feeder stand in Mexico.


I thought the same until I put a few through the ringer. They are strong and durable. I just wish they had different options for mounting them.
CastAndBlast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2018, 11:24 PM   #223
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young
 
CastAndBlast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Hunt In: Liberty Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
I view it as versatile? I’ve got one wrapped around a creosote pole. One hanging from a limb in a tree, and one strapped to a feeder. I Don’t think they’re cheaply made. Better than set inside a cheap *** plastic frame.


The one you have wrapped around the pole catches enough sun?
CastAndBlast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2018, 06:28 AM   #224
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Covert solar panel + enloops

I had my covert panel hanging vertical via zipties from a tpost for a few months and it caught plenty of sun... it’s now flat laying on the roof after I built a box to protect the camera better...1.5 years later still going strong.

Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2018, 06:43 AM   #225
Fishndude
Pope & Young
 
Fishndude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, Texas
Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties
Default Covert solar panel + enloops

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastAndBlast View Post
The one you have wrapped around the pole catches enough sun?

Yes sir


Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2018, 09:53 AM   #226
roysmoke
Ten Point
 
roysmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Hill Country
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastAndBlast View Post
Am I the only one that thinks coverts solar panel sucks for mounting?

I could see if I had a flat surface to mount it on, but mount/zip tying it to a tree is difficult to get it to face the sun if there isn’t a horizontal branch close enough that the cord will reach.

Granted, during deer season, my cameras/panels move a lot since we are hunting trails. If they stayed at a feeder, I could make something to mount them on. However, if I want to put the camera on a big oak tree, I can’t do anything but hang the solar panel on the tree and hope for the best.

My old moultrie panels mount to a bracket that I could strap to a tree and manipulate the bracket. Maybe I need to fabricate something similar that I can strap the covert panel to.

Unless y’all have a better idea...
Here is a pic of mine that has been going for a few years.
The only thing I changed recently is I made the antenna no longer go through the top holding solar panel in place. I just ran a zip tie through. It became a pain in the butt to open up the camera when the antenna was though the top. It did not change my reception at all when I turned the antenna sideways. The most important factor I found on the setups is trying to secure the power cable that goes into the bottom of the camera so that it does not get detached when you are gone. I use bailing wire and zip ties.
Name:  XCzjJ24D-25921590.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  106.3 KB
roysmoke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2018, 09:41 AM   #227
Easttxhunterr
Ten Point
 
Easttxhunterr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Splendora, Tx
Hunt In: Etoile, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
Their panel, 12 rechargeables in the camera and done. Why would you wanna mess with another external component that’s not necessary? All 3 of mine are running this way up to 1.5 years without touching it.
are you able to run yours in real-time?
Easttxhunterr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2018, 09:44 AM   #228
Easttxhunterr
Ten Point
 
Easttxhunterr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Splendora, Tx
Hunt In: Etoile, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysmoke View Post
Here is a pic of mine that has been going for a few years.
The only thing I changed recently is I made the antenna no longer go through the top holding solar panel in place. I just ran a zip tie through. It became a pain in the butt to open up the camera when the antenna was though the top. It did not change my reception at all when I turned the antenna sideways. The most important factor I found on the setups is trying to secure the power cable that goes into the bottom of the camera so that it does not get detached when you are gone. I use bailing wire and zip ties.
Attachment 913840
I need to try this set up
Easttxhunterr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2018, 10:17 AM   #229
Plain Lucky
Ten Point
 
Plain Lucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Hunt In: North central Tx, Kansas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easttxhunterr View Post
are you able to run yours in real-time?
I'm running the same setup as Fishndude and have had the same great results. Mine have been running well over a year without me touching them. Yes, mine run on realtime.

As for mounting the panel, all of my cameras are on T-Posts with T-Mates and I mount the solar panel on the post, just above the camera, facing south at about a 45 degree angle. I wire the top of the panel directly to the post and then I find a stick to wire to the bottom of the panel and the post to create the angle.
Plain Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2018, 10:21 AM   #230
Easttxhunterr
Ten Point
 
Easttxhunterr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Splendora, Tx
Hunt In: Etoile, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Lucky View Post
I'm running the same setup as Fishndude and have had the same great results. Mine have been running well over a year without me touching them. Yes, mine run on realtime.

As for mounting the panel, all of my cameras are on T-Posts with T-Mates and I mount the solar panel on the post, just above the camera, facing south at about a 45 degree angle. I wire the top of the panel directly to the post and then I find a stick to wire to the bottom of the panel and the post to create the angle.
I have mine pointed south on a 45. I started it out on real time with no timers and it constantly drained the battery. Now I have it on 24hr delay and its off from 10am to 5pm and its staying on 60%
Easttxhunterr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2018, 10:32 AM   #231
Plain Lucky
Ten Point
 
Plain Lucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Hunt In: North central Tx, Kansas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easttxhunterr View Post
I have mine pointed south on a 45. I started it out on real time with no timers and it constantly drained the battery. Now I have it on 24hr delay and its off from 10am to 5pm and its staying on 60%
And your using eneloop batteries or some other AA with an aMh rating > 2000?

I don't get too concerned over what percentage mine shows, as long as it stays charged enough to keep sending pics.

The only other thing that I can think of is your signal strength. Are you using a booster antennae? If you don't have a good enough signal, the camera is always struggling to obtain signal and that will eat up battery life.
Plain Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2018, 10:52 AM   #232
Easttxhunterr
Ten Point
 
Easttxhunterr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Splendora, Tx
Hunt In: Etoile, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Lucky View Post
And your using eneloop batteries or some other AA with an aMh rating > 2000?

I don't get too concerned over what percentage mine shows, as long as it stays charged enough to keep sending pics.

The only other thing that I can think of is your signal strength. Are you using a booster antennae? If you don't have a good enough signal, the camera is always struggling to obtain signal and that will eat up battery life.
I'm using amazon basics on Smarts recommendation. signal level at 60% from the last pic taken at 9:40 this morning.
Easttxhunterr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #233
Plain Lucky
Ten Point
 
Plain Lucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Hunt In: North central Tx, Kansas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easttxhunterr View Post
I'm using amazon basics on Smarts recommendation. signal level at 60% from the last pic taken at 9:40 this morning.
I'm using Amazon basics on several cameras and all have been good. My battery level tends to be at it's highest late afternoon (camera has been charging all day and not taking pics) and at it's lowest first thing in the morning (camera has been taking pics all night but unable to recharge due to darkness.)

Between a friend and I, we are running 20 Coverts. For whatever reason, some cameras seem to fluctuate more on battery strength than others. Generally speaking, they average between 40% - 80%. I don't get concerned unless I see consecutive days where strength is below 40%. And that hasn't happened since going to the Covert panel and Amazon Basic or Eneloop batteries. Occasionally I'l have a few days without much sunlight and a camera might get down to 20-30% by dawn. But it still recharges enough during the day to get back up to 60-70%.
Plain Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2018, 11:09 AM   #234
Plain Lucky
Ten Point
 
Plain Lucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Hunt In: North central Tx, Kansas
Default

Think of it like your car battery. It might run average a 70% charge it's whole life. But as long as it is taking a charge and has enough amps to turn over the starter, all is good.
Plain Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2018, 11:09 AM   #235
Easttxhunterr
Ten Point
 
Easttxhunterr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Splendora, Tx
Hunt In: Etoile, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Lucky View Post
I'm using Amazon basics on several cameras and all have been good. My battery level tends to be at it's highest late afternoon (camera has been charging all day and not taking pics) and at it's lowest first thing in the morning (camera has been taking pics all night but unable to recharge due to darkness.)

Between a friend and I, we are running 20 Coverts. For whatever reason, some cameras seem to fluctuate more on battery strength than others. Generally speaking, they average between 40% - 80%. I don't get concerned unless I see consecutive days where strength is below 40%. And that hasn't happened since going to the Covert panel and Amazon Basic or Eneloop batteries. Occasionally I'l have a few days without much sunlight and a camera might get down to 20-30% by dawn. But it still recharges enough during the day to get back up to 60-70%.
yeah I'm at a loss. Its working out for me ok right now. During the season ill turn on real time and turn off the timers as ill be on the property a lot.
Easttxhunterr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2018, 11:16 AM   #236
Tshelly
Ten Point
 
Tshelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Willis
Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
I had my covert panel hanging vertical via zipties from a tpost for a few months and it caught plenty of sun... it’s now flat laying on the roof after I built a box to protect the camera better...1.5 years later still going strong.



How high is your post set? I’m setting up two cameras similar to this is north west Oklahoma. I haven’t been worried about direct sun on the cameras down here in east Texas but I’m thinking it will help out there.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tshelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #237
Mike D
Pope & Young
 
Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastAndBlast View Post
Am I the only one that thinks coverts solar panel sucks for mounting?

I could see if I had a flat surface to mount it on, but mount/zip tying it to a tree is difficult to get it to face the sun if there isn’t a horizontal branch close enough that the cord will reach.

Granted, during deer season, my cameras/panels move a lot since we are hunting trails. If they stayed at a feeder, I could make something to mount them on. However, if I want to put the camera on a big oak tree, I can’t do anything but hang the solar panel on the tree and hope for the best.

My old moultrie panels mount to a bracket that I could strap to a tree and manipulate the bracket. Maybe I need to fabricate something similar that I can strap the covert panel to.

Unless y’all have a better idea...


It’s not that difficult. If you actually need it to be portable just buy some of those cheap tree stand hooks to screw it into the tree and hang it.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2018, 10:29 PM   #238
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Covert solar panel + enloops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshelly View Post
How high is your post set? I’m setting up two cameras similar to this is north west Oklahoma. I haven’t been worried about direct sun on the cameras down here in east Texas but I’m thinking it will help out there.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


My post? The top of the box that panel sits on is about 40” off the ground? The actual post it’s mounted to is 17’ with my extended antenna at the top because I have such poor signal in the hole my blind is in. Had to go up to grab it.


Last edited by Smart; 07-03-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2018, 09:14 AM   #239
Tshelly
Ten Point
 
Tshelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Willis
Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
My post? The top of the box that panel sits on is about 40” off the ground? The actual post it’s mounted to is 17’ with my extended antenna at the top because I have such poor signal in the hole my blind is in. Had to go up to grab it.



Ok that makes sense. Thanks. I’ll probably set a wooden post and build the box ahead of time. We have cell signal there while hunting so I’m hoping I don’t have to manufacture something similar for the long range antenna.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tshelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2018, 11:19 AM   #240
BolilloLoco
Ten Point
 
BolilloLoco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cypress
Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County
Default 2018 Code Black LTE Setup

Got mine activated and sending pics yesterday. Noticed a few discrepancies. Called Covert this morning and girl was no help. Hope I dont regret this decision. I have had zero problems with my Spartan.

1. During activation camera came up as Code Black 12.1. Is this normal?

2. Camera shows up as Code Black 12.1 on app and website. Normal?

3. Camera is set to trigger on PIR ONLY. Time Lapse is OFF. I uploaded the settings to the website/app. App and website show PIR as the trigger mode. But both show Time Lapse is ON with 4 minute Time Lapse Interval. I turn Time Lapse OFF and save on app/website, but Settings default back to ON after I log out. Is this normal?

4. There is no PIR Trigger Delay shown on the app. Is this normal?

5. Battery charge indicator shows 50% on camera.
App shows 100%
Website shows 60%
Is this normal?
Attached Images
 
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2018, 12:21 PM   #241
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young
 
CastAndBlast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Hunt In: Liberty Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
It’s not that difficult. If you actually need it to be portable just buy some of those cheap tree stand hooks to screw it into the tree and hang it.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


I actually tie mine to the tree with paracord. Mobility is not the issue. I just try to angle it up toward the sun. I was afraid that with it just hanging vertical, I would get as much charge.

Other panels I have used can be mounted to a tree arm and the tree arm strapped to a tree. This allowed me to angle the panel and direction I wanted.

With coverts panel, unless there is a limb I can lay it on, it is difficult to get it “pointed” toward the sun.

If any of that makes sense, ha.
CastAndBlast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2018, 12:53 PM   #242
Fishndude
Pope & Young
 
Fishndude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, Texas
Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easttxhunterr View Post
are you able to run yours in real-time?
Yes sir
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2018, 12:57 PM   #243
Mike D
Pope & Young
 
Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastAndBlast View Post
I actually tie mine to the tree with paracord. Mobility is not the issue. I just try to angle it up toward the sun. I was afraid that with it just hanging vertical, I would get as much charge.

Other panels I have used can be mounted to a tree arm and the tree arm strapped to a tree. This allowed me to angle the panel and direction I wanted.

With coverts panel, unless there is a limb I can lay it on, it is difficult to get it “pointed” toward the sun.

If any of that makes sense, ha.


You are way overthinking it. Mine hangs vertical and has been running for 4 years and only gone dead twice. And that was extended periods of being covered in ice.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2018, 01:38 PM   #244
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young
 
CastAndBlast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Hunt In: Liberty Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
You are way overthinking it. Mine hangs vertical and has been running for 4 years and only gone dead twice. And that was extended periods of being covered in ice.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


That is what I’m hearing. Guess I have been missing the boat. I’ll give it a try this season.
CastAndBlast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2018, 02:15 PM   #245
DowneyDigs
Spike
 
Join Date: May 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolilloLoco View Post
Got mine activated and sending pics yesterday. Noticed a few discrepancies. Called Covert this morning and girl was no help. Hope I dont regret this decision. I have had zero problems with my Spartan.



1. During activation camera came up as Code Black 12.1. Is this normal?



2. Camera shows up as Code Black 12.1 on app and website. Normal?



3. Camera is set to trigger on PIR ONLY. Time Lapse is OFF. I uploaded the settings to the website/app. App and website show PIR as the trigger mode. But both show Time Lapse is ON with 4 minute Time Lapse Interval. I turn Time Lapse OFF and save on app/website, but Settings default back to ON after I log out. Is this normal?



4. There is no PIR Trigger Delay shown on the app. Is this normal?



5. Battery charge indicator shows 50% on camera.

App shows 100%

Website shows 60%

Is this normal?


I’ve had my first and only Covert camera, a Code Black LTE, deployed for roughly 2 months. I don’t have a lot of experience with them, but maybe I can help.

First, I have found that Covert tech support is hit-and-miss. You can scroll back through this thread for some of my posts where I have shared some of my experiences. It’s a small family owned and operated business, and I get the impression that everyone in the office is family and they all work “tech support” regardless of their knowledge level.

Second, in my opinion it sounds like they released the LTE models to market too early. They have admitted that the firmware/software has bugs and is still in development. For example, the new cams are advertised to support 64GB SD cards, but they can actually only support 32GB. Next, I have never been able to change my settings remotely from the website or app. I can adjust settings in the app, but I have to physically go to the camera and manually “Download Settings”. Next, the battery percentage does not update on the app, so I have no way of knowing for sure about my battery life. Their response to these issues was for me to download firmware updates as often as possible because they hope to get everything fixed soon.

As for your first two questions about the model displaying as “Code Black 12.1”, mine says the same thing. I have never questioned Covert about it, but I wonder if they are still running 12.1 firmware on these new cameras. Maybe the cameras have all of the hardware improvements, but are still running old firmware due to the new firmware still being in development.

As for your third question about PIR and Time Lapse triggers. Assuming that I understand your question, this sounds like the issue that I have where I can not update my settings remotely.

About the PIR delay, I’ve never noticed it, because the app is useless to me for settings, but there is not PIR delay in my settings either.

Finally, the battery percentage issue, I suspect is again the same known issue where battery percentage is not updated on the app.

I wouldn’t say that the issues we are experiencing are “normal”, but I think Covert is aware of them all and is actively working to resolve them. To-date they have not provided a timeline of when they expect everything to be resolved.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DowneyDigs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2018, 02:21 PM   #246
BolilloLoco
Ten Point
 
BolilloLoco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cypress
Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowneyDigs View Post
I’ve had my first and only Covert camera, a Code Black LTE, deployed for roughly 2 months. I don’t have a lot of experience with them, but maybe I can help.

First, I have found that Covert tech support is hit-and-miss. You can scroll back through this thread for some of my posts where I have shared some of my experiences. It’s a small family owned and operated business, and I get the impression that everyone in the office is family and they all work “tech support” regardless of their knowledge level.

Second, in my opinion it sounds like they released the LTE models to market too early. They have admitted that the firmware/software has bugs and is still in development. For example, the new cams are advertised to support 64GB SD cards, but they can actually only support 32GB. Next, I have never been able to change my settings remotely from the website or app. I can adjust settings in the app, but I have to physically go to the camera and manually “Download Settings”. Next, the battery percentage does not update on the app, so I have no way of knowing for sure about my battery life. Their response to these issues was for me to download firmware updates as often as possible because they hope to get everything fixed soon.

As for your first two questions about the model displaying as “Code Black 12.1”, mine says the same thing. I have never questioned Covert about it, but I wonder if they are still running 12.1 firmware on these new cameras. Maybe the cameras have all of the hardware improvements, but are still running old firmware due to the new firmware still being in development.

As for your third question about PIR and Time Lapse triggers. Assuming that I understand your question, this sounds like the issue that I have where I can not update my settings remotely.

About the PIR delay, I’ve never noticed it, because the app is useless to me for settings, but there is not PIR delay in my settings either.

Finally, the battery percentage issue, I suspect is again the same known issue where battery percentage is not updated on the app.

I wouldn’t say that the issues we are experiencing are “normal”, but I think Covert is aware of them all and is actively working to resolve them. To-date they have not provided a timeline of when they expect everything to be resolved.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for explaining. I will call them again in a few weeks, to see if they have any updates.
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2018, 03:23 PM   #247
Plain Lucky
Ten Point
 
Plain Lucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Hunt In: North central Tx, Kansas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolilloLoco View Post
Thanks for explaining. I will call them again in a few weeks, to see if they have any updates.
I've run lots of their cameras and had an excellent experience overall. One tip I would recommend is to go to their website and use their "chat" support (the annoying pop up on the bottom right) rather than trying to call. They respond within a few minutes and you can do this while catching up on TBH at the same time. I haven't called them in a couple of years but have probably done a dozen "chats" in that same time.

I don't have any of the LTE cameras yet so I can't speak from experience regarding any of the issues they seem to be having. But I would agree to install the firmware updates fairly frequently over the next few weeks as they work out any bugs.

I notice that your pic above shows your camera to be set on video? I don't believe videos can be sent to the app at this point so that may be an issue. Also, for whatever reason, I did notice on my 2017 Verizon cameras that when I first put them out into the field and left them, they automatically reverted to video mode once I switched the camera from "setup" to "on." But once I went into the app and changed it back to photo mode and saved my changes, all was good.

I've run several Spartans (but no 2018 models) and been pleased with them. I prefer Covert over Spartan due to the Coverts being able to run 24/7/365 with just the covert solar panel and 12 good rechargeable batteries.
Plain Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2018, 03:35 PM   #248
BolilloLoco
Ten Point
 
BolilloLoco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cypress
Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Lucky View Post
I've run lots of their cameras and had an excellent experience overall. One tip I would recommend is to go to their website and use their "chat" support (the annoying pop up on the bottom right) rather than trying to call. They respond within a few minutes and you can do this while catching up on TBH at the same time. I haven't called them in a couple of years but have probably done a dozen "chats" in that same time.

I don't have any of the LTE cameras yet so I can't speak from experience regarding any of the issues they seem to be having. But I would agree to install the firmware updates fairly frequently over the next few weeks as they work out any bugs.

I notice that your pic above shows your camera to be set on video? I don't believe videos can be sent to the app at this point so that may be an issue. Also, for whatever reason, I did notice on my 2017 Verizon cameras that when I first put them out into the field and left them, they automatically reverted to video mode once I switched the camera from "setup" to "on." But once I went into the app and changed it back to photo mode and saved my changes, all was good.

I've run several Spartans (but no 2018 models) and been pleased with them. I prefer Covert over Spartan due to the Coverts being able to run 24/7/365 with just the covert solar panel and 12 good rechargeable batteries.
I will try the chat.

I updated firmware right after I activated it. But will keep doing it as they become available.

Camera is set to Picture Mode. App confirms that at top of the checklist and just shows 30 seconds as the video length. Must be default.

I am having good luck with my Spartan running an external 6v 42 ah battery and 2 watt solar panel with controller. Doesn't matter what kind of AA batteries are inside.

Thanks for the advice.
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2018, 03:37 PM   #249
Plain Lucky
Ten Point
 
Plain Lucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Hunt In: North central Tx, Kansas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolilloLoco View Post
Got mine activated and sending pics yesterday. Noticed a few discrepancies. Called Covert this morning and girl was no help. Hope I dont regret this decision. I have had zero problems with my Spartan.

1. During activation camera came up as Code Black 12.1. Is this normal?

2. Camera shows up as Code Black 12.1 on app and website. Normal?

3. Camera is set to trigger on PIR ONLY. Time Lapse is OFF. I uploaded the settings to the website/app. App and website show PIR as the trigger mode. But both show Time Lapse is ON with 4 minute Time Lapse Interval. I turn Time Lapse OFF and save on app/website, but Settings default back to ON after I log out. Is this normal?

4. There is no PIR Trigger Delay shown on the app. Is this normal?

5. Battery charge indicator shows 50% on camera.
App shows 100%
Website shows 60%
Is this normal?

1&2 - Code Black 12.1 is a 3G 2017 model camera. If your camera is 2018 it should say Code Black LTE?

3. No, not normal. The changes should save to the camera as long as you save them in the app.

4. Speaking only from my 2017 and prior cameras, there should be a trigger delay on the app. If not, something is wrong.

5. Doesn't seem normal but I admittedly don't watch battery life very closely so long as the camera is sending pics at the usual times.
Attached Images
 
Plain Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2018, 03:39 PM   #250
Plain Lucky
Ten Point
 
Plain Lucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Hunt In: North central Tx, Kansas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolilloLoco View Post
I will try the chat.

I updated firmware right after I activated it. But will keep doing it as they become available.

Camera is set to Picture Mode. App confirms that at top of the checklist and just shows 30 seconds as the video length. Must be default.

I am having good luck with my Spartan running an external 6v 42 ah battery and 2 watt solar panel with controller. Doesn't matter what kind of AA batteries are inside.

Thanks for the advice.
What solar panel and controller are you using on the Spartan? I've just been swapping out 6V batteries about every 6 weeks so a solar panel would be great.

Last edited by Plain Lucky; 07-05-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Plain Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com