Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-15-2018, 10:19 AM   #101
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyneutrontx View Post
I just ordered 12 eneloop pros hoping they work better that the energizer rechargeable I was previously using.

The first time out of the package I got a few months out of them then everytime I charged them the batteries would read full charge for a day or so then go to down to zero in a matter of days. Even with a15watt solar panel and 12volt feeder battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Energizers are poor unfortunately. What was the MAH of the ones you bought ? Like 1300-1700maH?

Hope your solar panel is as strong as the Coverts brand.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2018, 10:19 AM   #102
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO

Tagged
drop dead fred is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2018, 11:22 AM   #103
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Is it showing any better battery performance set on the minutes mark?

I had no idea you were setting it on ďsecondsĒ. I have found that anytime we set it on seconds it screws with the cameras data processing at lower signal. It takes a few minutes to get a picture though the system depending on the signal and basically it just continues to overlay and never gets a break. Sometimes it skips pics because itís still waiting on processing the first one. Our cameras here local on our pig place will wig out at 20-40% signal using seconds. Very inconsistent. But set them back to 3-4 minutes and they run smoothly. Now neither of the three have given us a battery issue when using seconds but then again we set them back to minutes when we saw what it was doing. Maybe the seconds is for folks with much better signal... like 80-100% which I can get here in my backyard but never tried it. Just a thought.

Are you referring to the delay between pics or something else? I have mine set on 45 seconds currently and have not see any problems but have not pulled the card and looked at those images either.

Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2018, 07:44 PM   #104
jimmyneutrontx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady, Tx

Quote:
The Energizers are poor unfortunately. What was the MAH of the ones you bought ? Like 1300-1700maH?

Hope your solar panel is as strong as the Coverts brand.

Here are the specs on the solar panel Iím using. Thoughts? Is it comparable to coverts

jimmyneutrontx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2018, 09:20 PM   #105
muddyz
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyz View Post
Guy on my lease says he is getting over 3 months from his Covert. Set on 10 min trigger intervals and 24 hour remote delay. I never even tried this I just bought the Amazon 2400's and the solar panel.
Any thoughts on this? Seems like a waste to drop $75 on a panel and rechargeable if he is getting that life on regular AAs.
muddyz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2018, 09:33 PM   #106
Easttxhunterr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Etoile, Tx

Quote:
Is it showing any better battery performance set on the minutes mark?

I had no idea you were setting it on ďsecondsĒ. I have found that anytime we set it on seconds it screws with the cameras data processing at lower signal. It takes a few minutes to get a picture though the system depending on the signal and basically it just continues to overlay and never gets a break. Sometimes it skips pics because itís still waiting on processing the first one. Our cameras here local on our pig place will wig out at 20-40% signal using seconds. Very inconsistent. But set them back to 3-4 minutes and they run smoothly. Now neither of the three have given us a battery issue when using seconds but then again we set them back to minutes when we saw what it was doing. Maybe the seconds is for folks with much better signal... like 80-100% which I can get here in my backyard but never tried it. Just a thought.

Completely dead now FML

Easttxhunterr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2018, 09:38 PM   #107
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Quote:
Any thoughts on this? Seems like a waste to drop $75 on a panel and rechargeable if he is getting that life on regular AAs.
Ya I have a thought. Spend the $75. These cameras run flawlessly with the right batteries(as described by Smart) and their panel. Why even worry about pic count, dead batteries, delay etc?? Just set it and forget it.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2018, 09:44 PM   #108
jimmyneutrontx
Ten Point

Do the covert solar panels plug directly into the bottom of the camera or do the auxiliary cable need to be added to it?

Old 03-15-2018, 09:54 PM   #109
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyneutrontx View Post
Do the covert solar panels plug directly into the bottom of the camera or do the auxiliary cable need to be added to it?

Straight in. Itís their panel for their cameras.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2018, 10:01 PM   #110
jimmyneutrontx
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
Straight in. Itís their panel for their cameras.

Iíve got a different panel just trying to figure out if itís comparable or better than coverts

Old 03-16-2018, 06:04 AM   #111
Easttxhunterr
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
Ya I have a thought. Spend the $75. These cameras run flawlessly with the right batteries(as described by Smart) and their panel. Why even worry about pic count, dead batteries, delay etc?? Just set it and forget it.

I put the amazon basics in on February 23 and itís dead as of yesterday so not every camera is equal. If I run a direct sun test and find out nothing is wrong with my set up, my panel and batteries will be UFS. Iíll be going 12v

Old 03-16-2018, 06:27 AM   #112
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
See FND comment above......plus...10 minute intervals suck. That might get me 5-6 pics on a morning feed by the time they come in and mow it down. And I've seen deer come in and leave quicker than 10 minute intervals. I live too far away to deal with dead batteries..... Set it and forget. $110 buys me maintenance free and about 1.75 years of batteries.....and the panel I only have to buy once.

But....you do you....that's just why I do what I do.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:31 AM   #113
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easttxhunterr View Post
I put the amazon basics in on February 23 and itís dead as of yesterday so not every camera is equal. If I run a direct sun test and find out nothing is wrong with my set up, my panel and batteries will be UFS. Iíll be going 12v

Well technically...if your camera is OK...your spot is the problem. Every camera is more equal than spots are equal. You've already told us you don't have the panel facing the sun and have tall pine canopies.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:52 AM   #114
Easttxhunterr
Ten Point

Default Covert solar panel + enloops

Quote:
Well technically...if your camera is OK...your spot is the problem. Every camera is more equal than spots are equal. You've already told us you don't have the panel facing the sun and have tall pine canopies.

Iím not sure how much sun it gets facing southeast but I would imagine it gets 3hrs at least and we have had some really clear days in the past week. Not to mention I remember reading somewhere (maybe on the package) that the panel is supposed work well even in shady areas. I really hope I find something wrong because I like the simplicity of the setup

And you are right, I should have said setup. I would imagine I can get better results out of a 12v setup in this situation even without a panel. Iím not an EE so I may be wrong

Last edited by Easttxhunterr; 03-16-2018 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:11 AM   #115
muddyz
Four Point

Quote:
See FND comment above......plus...10 minute intervals suck. That might get me 5-6 pics on a morning feed by the time they come in and mow it down. And I've seen deer come in and leave quicker than 10 minute intervals. I live too far away to deal with dead batteries..... Set it and forget. $110 buys me maintenance free and about 1.75 years of batteries.....and the panel I only have to buy once.

But....you do you....that's just why I do what I do.
I've already done it! I'm like you guys, I like 1-3 minute intervals depending on time of year and what I am seeing. I have one that is causing me some problems so last time out I switched the two cameras and panels and now have narrowed it down to the panel. I did notice there may be some coon damage to the wire between the panel and the camera so that may be my issue. I moved it to the best possible light (it wasn't bad before) and it works but just doesn't keep it as charged as the other panels I have. It won't get back above 60% when the others get to 80% every afternoon. Right now I'm not taking a lot of pics but during high traffic time it will drop down to 40% and after that it usually dies quickly.

I guess time for a new panel.
muddyz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2018, 09:30 AM   #116
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
I've already done it! I'm like you guys, I like 1-3 minute intervals depending on time of year and what I am seeing. I have one that is causing me some problems so last time out I switched the two cameras and panels and now have narrowed it down to the panel. I did notice there may be some coon damage to the wire between the panel and the camera so that may be my issue. I moved it to the best possible light (it wasn't bad before) and it works but just doesn't keep it as charged as the other panels I have. It won't get back above 60% when the others get to 80% every afternoon. Right now I'm not taking a lot of pics but during high traffic time it will drop down to 40% and after that it usually dies quickly.

I guess time for a new panel.

Good deal

I had a squirrel chew through one of my wires. Soldered it back and its good as new. Easy fix. Luckily, it was done right before I was headed down anyway.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:43 AM   #117
Stolle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

I've had some issues with my newest camera that sends pictures to the app. Once I set the delay at 24 hours it has run on 6-7 for months. That's taking 100 pictures a day. I'm running the Amazon basics and enelope pros with regular 6 volt solar panel. Might try adding another 6 volt panel to give me more charging capability. I had a deer feeder 6 volt and the enelopes in for a while, but the one panel could not keep them charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2018, 07:43 AM   #118
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Still running 4 coverts flawlessly on my 10w panels, ammo box with cheap 12v and cheap AA rechargeables and 6-12v cord. 100% battery at all time and on 30 second delay and real time

Can make changes or send for pics all day everyday

To me its worth the maybe $90 for the entire setup to not have to worry about it and for it to stay fully charged all day
gingib is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2018, 07:46 AM   #119
Easttxhunterr
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Still running 4 coverts flawlessly on my 10w panels, ammo box with cheap 12v and cheap AA rechargeables and 6-12v cord. 100% battery at all time and on 30 second delay and real time

Can make changes or send for pics all day everyday

To me its worth the maybe $90 for the entire setup to not have to worry about it and for it to stay fully charged all day

So you think this would work in a heavy canopy of pines? You are running 12 AA rechargeable along with the 12v?

Old 03-28-2018, 08:51 AM   #120
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
So you think this would work in a heavy canopy of pines? You are running 12 AA rechargeable along with the 12v?

Did you ever check your camera back at home or in an open spot?
Old 03-28-2018, 08:53 AM   #121
Easttxhunterr
Ten Point

Quote:
Did you ever check your camera back at home or in an open spot?

Not yet. Iím going to move it next weekend to an open spot on a pipeline

Old 03-28-2018, 09:05 AM   #122
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:

Yes I do. Yes to last question.

You will need some sun tho I think. For this issue you really will need a strong high W panel
Old 05-03-2018, 10:35 PM   #123
DowneyDigs
Spike

Has anyone received their 2018 Code Black LTE? I ordered one this week, but it is on back order. Covert estimates 2-4 weeks until it ships. Just curious if all of the connections for auxiliary power are the same. Found this forum while researching external/auxiliary power options. Solar is pretty much my only option, but Iím concerned about the thick pine canopy. Iíll be using mine for security on my driveway. Thick pine canopy with thick underbrush along the driveway. Have a pipeline right-of-way that crosses (West to East) my driveway, and plan to place it somewhere in that area. Will probably mount it 10-15 feet up in a tree, and explore my options for mounting solar panel nearby. Donít want panel to be right next to camera, so that it doesnít draw attention to the camera. Anyone have any experience with extending cables for their solar panel and mounting it away from the camera within a 50 foot radius? Iíve read a lot about squirrels chewing the wires, so I may have to look at running a conduit. Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.
DowneyDigs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2018, 02:36 PM   #124
Easttxhunterr
Ten Point

I finally got around to moving the camera into an open area. got the solar panel pointed south and sitting about 45 degree angle. It has taken 118 pics since I set it up on April 18th. According to the app it says it is at 60% battery and the time stamp says 40%. Pic included to give yall an idea of what my set looks like.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2018, 02:52 PM   #125
Smart
Pope & Young

Call for a picture and check it now that itís been in the sun. The Ap updates the % after a picture is taken
Old 05-08-2018, 02:54 PM   #126
Easttxhunterr
Ten Point

Quote:
Call for a picture and check it now that itís been in the sun. The Ap updates the % after a picture is taken
I just talked to covert and they said my problem was running it in real time. I was just trying to back read to see if you all had a 24hr delay. Covert says the only way around the delay is to run 12v set up.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:56 PM   #127
Easttxhunterr
Ten Point

I know some of you told me to change it but, I was thinking some of you were getting away with leaving it on real time with AA's and covert SP.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:02 PM   #128
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
I just talked to covert and they said my problem was running it in real time. I was just trying to back read to see if you all had a 24hr delay. Covert says the only way around the delay is to run 12v set up.

Iíve been running all three in real time since day 1 of owning them.... same with my buddies who run the same setups.

Name:  IMG_2298.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  36.5 KB

Last edited by Smart; 05-08-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #129
Smart
Pope & Young

Call for a picture and tell me what the new battery percentage is.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:09 PM   #130
Easttxhunterr
Ten Point

Quote:
Call for a picture and tell me what the new battery percentage is.
I wont get it for 24hrs since I changed the setting
Old 05-08-2018, 05:01 PM   #131
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
I wont get it for 24hrs since I changed the setting

Lol you can change the setting back.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #132
Keith
Administrator

Still waiting.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I just sent my old 2012 Covert Black Ops back and they are upgrading it to the 2018 model. They said they are expecting them in late February or early March and will send it as soon as they arrive.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2018, 05:14 PM   #133
Easttxhunterr
Ten Point

Quote:
Lol you can change the setting back.

Covert says once you change it, it takes 24hrs to Chang back after the command is sent

Old 05-08-2018, 05:22 PM   #134
Easttxhunterr
Ten Point

Quote:
Covert says once you change it, it takes 24hrs to Chang back after the command is sent

I put it back and sent a real time photo command and I didnít get anything back so I guess they are right

Old 05-08-2018, 06:46 PM   #135
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:

I guess Iíve never even considered going on a 24 hour delay. I think the most I ever tried was 30 minutes. And just went right back to real-time since mine work fine with it.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:35 PM   #136
Easttxhunterr
Ten Point

Quote:
I guess Iíve never even considered going on a 24 hour delay. I think the most I ever tried was 30 minutes. And just went right back to real-time since mine work fine with it.

Make sense. If I find it annoying that itís not on real time Iím just going to break down and buy the 12v set up

Old 05-08-2018, 10:27 PM   #137
DowneyDigs
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Still waiting.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
I received my 2018 Code Black LTE (AT&T) today. I havenít powered it up and configured it or played with it yet. At first glance the only disappointment is the antennas. All photos show the old rubberized antenna with metal hardware. The antennas on the unit I received are cheap looking hard plastic, wide and flat, with plastic hardware where it screws to the camera body. Still trying to read forums to decide if I need to go Solar, 12V, or Solar+12V.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:06 AM   #138
DowneyDigs
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowneyDigs View Post
I received my 2018 Code Black LTE (AT&T) today. I havenít powered it up and configured it or played with it yet. At first glance the only disappointment is the antennas. All photos show the old rubberized antenna with metal hardware. The antennas on the unit I received are cheap looking hard plastic, wide and flat, with plastic hardware where it screws to the camera body. Still trying to read forums to decide if I need to go Solar, 12V, or Solar+12V.

After further reading, the hard plastic antenna may actually be an improvement over the old-style rubber coated antenna. Have read many reports of the rubber antenna being damaged by squirrels, cows, mice, etc. Perhaps this is Covertís solution to that issue. I would still prefer metal hardware where the antenna screws to the camera body. I also question how water tight these new antenna will be. They fold down and there is a large gap at the pivot point. The antenna wire is exposed in the opening and I canít imagine how this connection is completely waterproof. I am new to covert cameras, and havenít powered this one on yet, so this is just my initial observation. Pics attached for reference.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:45 AM   #139
Smart
Pope & Young

Itís an antenna.... no waterproofing required. Iím sure Covert with years and years of research wouldnít leave something exposed if it mattered.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:54 AM   #140
Easttxhunterr
Ten Point

last pic from last night. App says 80 and looks like a 4 on the time stam

Old 05-09-2018, 07:21 AM   #141
DowneyDigs
Spike

Quote:
Itís an antenna.... no waterproofing required. Iím sure Covert with years and years of research wouldnít leave something exposed if it mattered.

Iím definitely not concerned about the antenna itself. My only thought was that water may be able to get inside the antenna, follow the path of the antenna wire down to the pin/connector, drip down through the point of connection, and ultimately into the camera body. I have faith in Covertís product and warranty, otherwise I would have bought another brand. A great deal of research went into my decision to go with Covert, and I am confident that they produce a superior product.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:25 AM   #142
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowneyDigs View Post
I’m definitely not concerned about the antenna itself. My only thought was that water may be able to get inside the antenna, follow the path of the antenna wire down to the pin/connector, drip down through the point of connection, and ultimately into the camera body. I have faith in Covert’s product and warranty, otherwise I would have bought another brand. A great deal of research went into my decision to go with Covert, and I am confident that they produce a superior product.

Good....then you shouldn't worry about an antenna ..... Put it in the field and enjoy.

I have three I monitor from my ap....one with the older rubber antenna in the vertical position....probably have 5-6 squirrels on the camera at a time at times. No problems..

Last edited by Smart; 05-09-2018 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:28 AM   #143
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
last pic from last night. App says 80 and looks like a 4 on the time stam

Well at least you now its charging right and sounds like the canopy was an issue at the other place.. It sure what the time stamp issue is.

Last edited by Smart; 05-09-2018 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:31 AM   #144
Easttxhunterr
Ten Point

Quote:
Well at least you now its charging right and sounds like the canopy was an issue at the other place..

Yeah and it doesnít seem to like to be in real time on the particular camera

Old 05-09-2018, 07:37 AM   #145
Smart
Pope & Young

It has caught up battery wise so check your percentage by calling for a picture in real-time around 4 or 5 when the sun has been directly overhead.

Mine will be at 50-60% after all night of taking pics over cottonseed and animals running through the view for the water trough. It stays there and sometimes even lower after the AM feeding of corn is gone . Then I can call for a pic in the middle of the afternoon and itís back to 80-100 after reading 40-60% all day from the last morning pic.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:39 AM   #146
Easttxhunterr
Ten Point

Quote:
It has caught up battery wise so check your percentage by calling for a picture in real-time around 4 or 5 when the sun has been directly overhead.

Mine will be at 50-60% after all night of taking pics over cottonseed and animals running through the view for the water trough. It stays there and sometimes even lower after the AM feeding of corn is gone . Then I can call for a pic in the middle of the afternoon and itís back to 80-100 after reading 40-60% all day from the last morning pic.

That makes sense if my panel is working properly

Old 05-09-2018, 07:41 AM   #147
Smart
Pope & Young

Had a buddy text me saying something is wrong with my camera...Itís not charging. Sent me a screenshot at 2pm with it reading 40%. He got his first picture at 2:05 since that morning and the camera updated his percentage to 100%. He texted... never mind..
Old 05-09-2018, 07:42 AM   #148
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
That makes sense if my panel is working properly

Yes... hopefully it is.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:46 AM   #149
Smart
Pope & Young

Also make sure your batteries are all facing the right direction. One backwards line of batteries throws off the whole mix
Old 05-09-2018, 07:50 AM   #150
gingib
Pope & Young

My coverts are still holding strong at 100%.

It never leaves 9 all day erday