Laguna Atascosa 2015/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bloodhound View Post
    You're going to love this place, Helim. Once you get the lay of the land, you're going to love it.
    I'm thinking that your right bloodhound, I have one of my customers who works the refineries keeping an eye out for a trike in the bone pile.

Comment

Just called LA, and they said archery hunt #1 still had about 20 permits available. Hunt #2 100+ and hunt #3 about 30 permits. If anyone hasn't sent their apps, now is the time!!!

Comment

Originally posted by elchamp View Post
        Just called LA, and they said archery hunt #1 still had about 20 permits available. Hunt #2 100+ and hunt #3 about 30 permits. If anyone hasn't sent their apps, now is the time!!!
        Surprised there's still that many

Previous years the 1st 2 hunts usually didn't last past a couple of days

Comment

yup pretty crazy.

I'm still trying to decide whether to buy a permit or not. I'm not sure I'll be able to come down from school for the hunt..

Comment

I called and got a voicemail today. It said that the 2nd archery hunt is by computer drawing only. I just checked the website however and the info said its first come, first served like always. I was shocked when I heard that voicemail, but it's apparently incorrect.

Comment

I got my permit for hunt no. 3 and I am pumped. I am trying to virtually scout using the paper maps and Google Earth. A question for you veterans...the maps show a lot of roads going through the refuge, but are they open to motor vehicle traffic during the hunt? I don't know if I can drive on some of the smaller roads or have to hike or take a mountain bike.
              Also, what kind of help, if any, can you expect if you shoot a nilgai and have to pack it out? I have shot one before and know what it takes to move one of those critters. I cannot imagine dragging it more than a few hundred feet by myself. Even loading it into a cart would be near impossible alone.

Thanks.

Comment

Cars/trucks only on the main road to go in. You have to hike/bike once off the main drive. You can use a cart and maybe ask another hunter for help if you drop something. If its a nilgai, you may have to quarter it before moving it out. You can call the hunt station (9563710773) to see if one of the USFWS guys can help you out.

Comment

found out why i didn't get permits!!!!!

they sent them to johnny, we're in for third hunt.

keep thinking of putting in for hunt 2 since no hunts between.

Comment

Elchamp, me and a couple buddies are hunting the third dec 10-14 hunt. If you get something down and need help holler, be more than happy to lend a hand.

Comment

Hey, helim! Appreciate the offer and if you all need any help, don't hesitate to ask. I signed up for 1st and 3rd hunt. Still thinking of 8 pointer I missed last year at 40 yds.

Comment

see ya'll out there Dec 10-14th...yippee!

Comment

Anyone know if Laguna is getting any rain?

Comment

Originally posted by T-Bolt View Post
                            Anyone know if Laguna is getting any rain?
                            Aren't you just around the corner over there

Comment

Any one get drawn for Laguna Atascosa? First time hunting the area, I'd like to attempt to take a nilgai. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Drawn for Nov. 20-24.

Bowtech Tomcat, 70# draw, Montec 100 Grain broadhead.

Thank you,
                              Hammy
                              Last edited by hammyhamilton; 09-04-2015, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hammyhamilton View Post
                                Any one get drawn for Laguna Atascosa? First time hunting the area, I'd like to attempt to take a nilgai. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Drawn for Nov. 20-24.

Bowtech Tomcat, 70# draw, Montec 100 Grain broadhead.

Thank you,
                                Hammy
                                The November 20-24 hunt is the first archery hunt. Get away from the roads. Sectios 2 and 3 are off the beaten track. Eat your wheaties cuz if you get one, it's a chore to get it out. Take advantage of the scouting weekends. Look for piles of nilgai scat. They tend to dump in the same spot. Good luck. I'll be hunting the 1st and 3rd hunts.

Comment

Working...
                                X