Sam Houston hunting area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sam Houston hunting area

I am new to Texas and live in Katy. Is there any good hunting at Sam Houston or is it overcrowded and overhunted?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

You get out of it what you put into it. If you scout, put in the legwork, use your GPS, hunt smart....you can be successful every year. If you drive up there opening weekend, park your truck, and walk into the woods, you'll go home tired and hungry. Buy a map from the forest service, maybe get a mountain bike fixed up for riding the roads that don't allow trucks, and start scouting early before it gets to hot. Rubs and some scrapes will still be visible. Acorns/Oaks are always a good start. Water is a good start. Transition areas between thick areas and clear cuts are a good start. Good luck!

Comment

I was wondering the same thing.... not to steal the thread, but are there any Turkeys on SHNF?

Comment

Yes! Big easterns! Not a lot, but they are there. I've seen them in two different places and had them coming onto my lease which bordered the SHNF near Coldspring. Not an easy target, but they are there.

Comment

There are a few birds but they are scattered and hard to get on.

My take on SHNF, is that it is over crowded with too many hunters that have no respect or ethics. If you want to hunt it, you have to hunt hard and find areas other hunters arent willing to walk into. There are deer and in the general area I have seen some nice deer taken and I believe there are some bruisers, its just that they are smart from years of hunting pressure.

Comment

Ive hunted Sam Houston for the past two years and heres what i learned
            Hunting pressure is low during bow season so the deer are unpressured, normal feeding times, pattern them easily. After rifle opener the hunting gets really tough as deer move to thicker stuff or go nocturnal.
            You have to be prepared to go atleast a mile in away from the crowds during gun season and get a climber for sure and get inside the thick stuff.
            That being said there is some good deer to be taken considering its public land and license+permit=$80 and an hour away from houston.
            Email me raj.bairamadgi@gmail.com if you are going out there its always good to have hunting partner.
            Hope this helps
            Raj

Comment

climbing stand and good thing to get ive hunted (about 5 years ago and took bucks,does,gobblers.....with my bow ,its a awesome place to hunt ~! ask the oldtimer around they will help ya out...but leg work will get er done-----> (X)

Comment

do they allow atv's or ohv's out there?

Comment

Originally posted by hand grenade View Post
                  do they allow atv's or ohv's out there?

they have ATV trails but cant take them off the trails. actually you probably cant get them too far off the trails its usually too thick

Comment

Working...
                  X