Pat Mayse WMA info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pat Mayse WMA info

I'm headed to Pat Mayse this weekend for a youth hunt with my nephew, my buddy and his daughter. We've never been there before so anyone with any advise or info would be greatly appreciated. We'll be hunting from Ground Blinds most likely.

ttt....no deer at Pat Mayse? Help a brotha out. Its for a kid!

Comment

I've hunted PM once or twice every year since 1990,mostly bowhunting,decent deer population on the area. The turkeys they stocked a few years ago really "took well" to the place. You need to take advantage of the fact that you're rifle hunting(as opposed to bowhunting) and set up in a spot in the woods where you can see(and shoot) a good distance through the woods...stay out of the thick stuff,otherwise a deer could walk by forty yards away and you would never see it! Report back after the hunt and let us know how you did.

Comment

I dont think PM WMA is gun hunting it is Archery only but in my Map Booklet you get when you buy the Type2 license. It says archery only but I may be mistaken anyways my buddy got a nice 10 point about a 21 inch spread at PM off of 1499. But there is alot of deer in there gotta make sure you sit quietly and still and they will come try to get on a trail. Also there is some bobcat out there I got 1 with my bow 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Wow 10 point with 21 inch spread.Pretty impressive for public land.Got any pics?

Comment

They have special drawn gun hunts on the Pat Mayse WMA. There are lots of good places in the WMA to hunt, but the real bread and butter is on the other side of the lake at what is called the pump station. Aside from the WMA, and anywhere inside 150yds of "improved recreational areas", all of Pat Mayse is open public hunting land. No Type II Permit required. The pump station is a huge section of land behind Camp Maxey - which sees far less hunting pressure than the WMA. The only drawback is that it's not archery only, but during archery only season, hardly anyone hunts it. It will fill up during the regular season however. HUGE deer in them woods too...

Comment

I am gonna have to scout that some I only knew of 1 spot and I have been hunting it all year and seen many many deer but cant get them close enough for a confident bow shot.well thanks for the info I will have to check it out next years archery season.

Comment

I grew up hunting the pump station and the land across the street between there and Sanders Cove Rec area, the biggest 8 pt i have ever taken scored 139 or so came from in there, seem to be lots of 8pts. Buddy of mine killed a nice 8 pt over there this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Oneway Archery View Post
                  I grew up hunting the pump station and the land across the street between there and Sanders Cove Rec area, the biggest 8 pt i have ever taken scored 139 or so came from in there, seem to be lots of 8pts. Buddy of mine killed a nice 8 pt over there this year.
                  Thanks for the info but you do realize how old the original post is, don't you? Nice job on your post count, though.

Comment

Shock Value,
                    I did not look at the date, i guess i should have, just eager to help a brotha out. If you have time I would like to show you some great spots, I know that they are hard to come by.

Comment

Originally posted by Oneway Archery View Post
                      Shock Value,
                      I did not look at the date, i guess i should have, just eager to help a brotha out. If you have time I would like to show you some great spots, I know that they are hard to come by.
                      No worries! I'd like to get up their again and spend a little more time. When we went on this hunt with the kids it was cold, wet, and nasty. Miserable hunting for adults, much less the kiddos.

We saw a few deer and came really close to getting his first on a doe at 25 yards. She busted us though before he could get the crosshairs steady and pull the trigger.

Comment

Man, Talk about exciting and frustrating! Those two in any dose will cause heart attack! There are some really good places to hunt there but also on the Corp of Engineers around the rest of Pat Mayse as well!

Comment

Working...
                        X