Who keeps a “ dirty/ seasoned “ bbq pit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was reading this article about some bbq joints keeping filthy pits, but the really good joints keep the pits clean , so I was wondering who cleans their pits
    Or likes them “ seasoned

Seasoned makes the best bar b Que.

Comment

I just cleaned mine for the first time ever. Never cleaned a smoker out but I did this weekend. Used a pressure washer and it was a PITA. I use my pit at least two days a week and didn’t realize how bad it had gotten under the heat dissipating plate.

Comment

Interesting.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
          Interesting.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
          Did you read the article? As it seems like some of the places that I really like seem to keep the creosote/ greasy mess cleaned out regular

Comment

Never have and never will clean mine
            It’s about 30 years old. No rust in the barrel
            Will have to replace the fire box eventually though
            Cooks like an oven

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Never clean mine, like the seasoned pit. To me, met just tastes better when the grill / smoker is seasoned well, just like a good cast iron skillet.

Comment

Lots of places clean their pits to make sure they don't have a grease fire and burn their place down, not to make their food taste better.

Comment

Never cleaned mine. Every now and then I will build a hot stick fire to burn off a little build up but that’s the only cleaning it gets

Comment

IMO, anything BBQ-related written by Texas Monthly is suspect. Liberal Mag full of BS.

Like previously mentioned, they have to clean the pits for liability reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
                      Lots of places clean their pits to make sure they don't have a grease fire and burn their place down, not to make their food taste better.

Exactly!

I make sure the racks are clean and the bottom is clean so that the fat can drain out but I will never clean the cooking chamber it’s self

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
                        Exactly.
                        I’ve had this happen twice. Load up a 500 gal smoker with 50-60 pork butts.....that’s a lot of fat rendering down. When I went to bed and my buddy took over, he let the fire get too hot. Even with the cooker tilted and properly draining, it’s still a lot of grease. Mix that with a really hot fire and it’s a bad deal.

Comment

“Clean” doesn’t actually mean clean. Just clean out the excess grease and burnt crap. Don’t clean it with actual soap.

Comment

I scrape mine out every few cooks but I wouldn’t call it clean. Mainly just getting excess grease out.

Comment

Seasoned!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X