Film Cameras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Film Cameras

Does anyone here use a film slr. I have a Nikon D60, but thought it would be kind of fun to play around with a film slr. If you use one, how do you like it? any recommendations?

My wife used a Minolta for about 8 years and fell in love with it. She had an 18-55 and a 75-200 lens and tried to wear it out so that she could get a digital, but couldn't bust it. She now has a Canon Rebel digital with the same lens set up and takes 10x the pics she used to. I personally like her film over digital because the flash washes out the digital very easily and you tend to wait for the better picture with a film than a digital, but we have saved a lot on processing. She enjoys it though, so that is all that matters. I think the only time I would be able to get her in a blind to shoot anything would be with her camera.

Comment

I shot w/35mm for years, but I much prefer digital now. I like film and everything, but the expense of the film and the processing forces you to take fewer pictures. You also don't know if you got the shot right until after you get the film processed. By then, if you missed it, then it's too late.

With digital, I can take as many trial or "practice" shots as I want before taking the "keeper". It doesn't cost me anything, and the feedback is immediate. As a result, I have learned WAY more about getting a good exposure and framing the shot well by using digital than I ever did with film.

I would probably do much better with my film camera now, but with the quality of digital pics and prints these days, why pay for film and processing? The nostalgia of it is cool, and I do think about taking some pics with my old Minolta sometimes. I just never do.

Comment

Thanks guys. I think I may see if my folks have an old film camera I can play with, just for the heck of it. There is no way i'm giving up my digital camera, but i may play with film every now and then.

Comment

All my old Nikon film cameras are just conversation pieces now.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
            All my old Nikon film cameras are just conversation pieces now.
            I took my old Nikon 2000 out of the hard case last weekend, popped the 70-210mm on it.. <sigh> ... it's shame seeing such a nice camera collecting dust. I dropped alot of coin on that thing 22yrs ago. I just cant see ever getting rid of it.

Comment

Nikkormat FT2, Two-F2AS photomics, and an F3. They all still work too! Nostalgia can be sad.

But a new D3 would make me feel a lot better. Any one want to contribute?

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                Nostalgia can be sad.
                I hear ya brother!

Comment

Working...
                X