6mm vs. .243

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rar15usa1 View Post
    will probably be easyer to find 243 ammo anywhere you go than 6MM .
    Yea no one has any 6 mm ammo

Comment

6mm or .244 Remington is virtually dead as a factory loaded round, very hard to find being sold retail under ideal circumstances, .243 Winchester is widely available. The .244/6mm Remington is now primarily a handloader's cartridge, much like the .257 Roberts and 7mm Mauser, which all are based on the parent 7mm Mauser casing. The .244/6mm case offers slightly less than 10% greater internal capacity than the .243, so handloaders can squeeze a tad bit more performance out of the older cartridge. In factory loaded form, the offer virtually identical ballistics.

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by dswaim View Post
        Yea no one has any 6 mm ammo
        It won't do you any good today, but Cabela's or any online supplier have quite a bit and selections to pick from. You can have it by NEXT weekend.

Comment

I shoot a 6mm. It is a HCR custom. I chose the 6 over 243 because I am a reloader and the bigger case and longer neck of the 6mm gives you more flexibility when reloading. You can get some really smokin fast loads. I reload anywhere from 55 gr to 100 gr bullets. It is an awsome rifle for varmints and deer. If you don't hand load you do not have near the the choice when purchasing factory ammo. Horniday does make some good 6m stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Cottonfish View Post
            6mm or .244 Remington is virtually dead as a factory loaded round, very hard to find being sold retail under ideal circumstances, .243 Winchester is widely available. The .244/6mm Remington is now primarily a handloader's cartridge, much like the .257 Roberts and 7mm Mauser, which all are based on the parent 7mm Mauser casing. The .244/6mm case offers slightly less than 10% greater internal capacity than the .243, so handloaders can squeeze a tad bit more performance out of the older cartridge. In factory loaded form, the offer virtually identical ballistics.

Stu
            I like to work with cases that have longer necks. That is a big reason I love the 6. I can get alot of reloads out of the same case. My 70 grain hand load is so fast and accurate it is my favorite thing to shoot. It's scarry

Comment

Originally posted by Boomerang View Post
              It won't do you any good today, but Cabela's or any online supplier have quite a bit and selections to pick from. You can have it by NEXT weekend.
              Yea I'm not really going to need it for a couple of weeks, but was wanting to go ahead and shoot a few rounds the next few weeks until then....

Comment

6mm is a bit better balistically than .243, but us Americans are too metric phobic, so the .243 gained popularity 0and the 6mm is a hard gun and round to find.

Comment

Working...
                X