Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7mm-08 subsonic, 308 subsonic or 300bo subsonic????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7mm-08 subsonic, 308 subsonic or 300bo subsonic????

Anyone have experience hunting close range with subsonic 7mm-08. Considering 7mm-08, 308, or 300bo for close range hunting jobs. Shots should be within 30 -50 yards. Have all 3 and just want to be the most effective as possible with a subsonic bullet suppressor combination. Out of the three calibers mentioned what would you recommend and which bullets? TIA.

No expert here, but the 7mm would be out for me because you can get heavier bullets for the 30 cals. Might as well shoot the heaviest bullet that you can since it’s moving slow.

Comment

I've killed a pile of deer (maybe 100??) with my 308 up to about 125 yards with subs. It's fun stuff. Been shooting 168gr A-Max. They don't expand at all, but have punched right through every deer. I think more manufacturers are offering sub-sonic ammo now so I might look into something else. But these shoot really good out of my rifle and the deer don't go far at all.

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
        No expert here, but the 7mm would be out for me because you can get heavier bullets for the 30 cals. Might as well shoot the heaviest bullet that you can since it’s moving slow.
        I would agree with this, bigger is better

Comment

A 230+ grain lead pill at 1000fps would be some bad medicine for piggies or bambi with proper shot placement. I'm testing some 200gr lead pills from my Remmy 300blk and so far results are very promising. With the 150gr Hornady SST bullets I am getting under 1/2" groups at 100yds.

Comment

300BO was designed for it.

Comment

My 5 shot group with the Hornady SST 150gr bullets. Lead pills aren't as good, but show very good promise.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                I've killed a pile of deer (maybe 100??) with my 308 up to about 125 yards with subs. It's fun stuff. Been shooting 168gr A-Max. They don't expand at all, but have punched right through every deer. I think more manufacturers are offering sub-sonic ammo now so I might look into something else. But these shoot really good out of my rifle and the deer don't go far at all.

Hey Chance, where are you hitting them and how is the blood trail?

Comment

It doesn't matter which caliber you use, subsonic is subsonic. You're not going to get more energy or "knockdown power" out of a 308 vs a 300BLK. They're moving the same bullet at the same speed.

We are beginning to see some subsonic performance bullets. Lehigh and Lapua make some for the 300BLK, my buddy is experimenting with them now. There are probably more as well.

Comment

Originally posted by J Wales View Post
                    Hey Chance, where are you hitting them and how is the blood trail?
                    Behind the shoulder or in the shoulder. Really tears them up inside. Not much blood trail at all, but usually can watch them fall.

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
                    It doesn't matter which caliber you use, subsonic is subsonic. You're not going to get more energy or "knockdown power" out of a 308 vs a 300BLK. They're moving the same bullet at the same speed.

We are beginning to see some subsonic performance bullets. Lehigh and Lapua make some for the 300BLK, my buddy is experimenting with them now. There are probably more as well.
                    I chose the 308 because I can still shoot regular stuff, and not be limited to just sub-sonics. I've never been a 300 Blackout fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post

Thanks for the input and insight guys

Comment

I used a .300 BO for 7 years at my hunting ranch as a finishing gun.
                        I used Leigh defense bullets and it did a fine job.
                        The 194 grain bullet opens up into 4 petals and cuts about a 1-1/4" hole.
                        I killed everything I shot with it up to and including red deer.

There are a lot of good loads out there for the .300 sub.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	gun.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	24547142

Name:	363.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	24547143

Name:	a4.jpg