Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another black boar bites the dust!

Went out last weekend and missed a chip shot at this one's sidekick

Headed out late yesterday evening with bow and video camera to try and redeem myself. Got settled in about 7pm and started the wait. Ran something off when I got to the stand but figured it or something else would soon be back as the game camera was showing them to be arriving right around dark.
    I heard a hog in the brush right after dark but he went behind me about 50yds and disappeared into the woods. About 30min later I could hear the main group coming from the opposite direction. They were not happy about the light being back on the feeder (neighbor's cows had been on my place last week and had it aimed at the sky and the game camera turned around backwards) but the shoats are too inexperienced and they charged in and started eating up the corn. Mama was voiccing her displeasure but she reluctantly headed in too. I had decided before I left the house that I was holding out for a boar or a coon so I just let them eat and shined the red light on them to see how they would react. They paid it no mind and I soon heard another pig coming in the woods.
    I knew it was probably one of the boar hogs that have been hitting the feeder so I started to prepare for a possible shot. The landscape light does nothing for the video camera and the weak DIY "pig light" that I made is bright enough to see the 20yds to the feeder but not really bright enough to find in the viewfinder of the camera. I gave up on the filming part pretty quick as the corn was being sucked up quickly. I got the camera pointed in the general direction and came to full draw, turned the light on and came down on the boar, settled my 20yd pin about halway up the body in the crease with him angled away and squeeeeezzzeedd the trigger.
    He dropped like a sack of rocks and the rest headed out like a heard of elephants going through the woods. He started kicking and spinning and had a cloud of dust so thick I could barely see my lighted nock. Got down and finished him with a .22 behind the ear rather than waste another arrow.
    Guessed him around 120#

This is the one I shot at last week, right before I took the shot

Added him to the TBH total, he was 3839

Nice write up!! Congrats! KAP!!

Comment

Nice read Congrats! KAP!! all of them

Comment

Congrats nice job.

Comment

great job on the hog

Comment

Good write up! Congrats!