What a Weekend!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a Weekend!

Just gotta share. Started early Friday am with a flight from Houston with final destination to Lubbock to catch my nephew Kyle’s graduation from Tech on Friday evening (Masters in Accounting). The young man is going to be a CPA like his uncle and we are very proud! Then Saturday I traveled back to Houston and my wife and I attended an old friend’s party/celebration of his son’s high school graduation and acceptance into Notre Dame (no small accomplishment)! The evening went late and several cocktails were consumed. Sunday I slept in and then had a great lunch with my wife and mother in-law (she treated) at noon. After lunch I bolted up to our place in Polk County. Last check showed the Live Oak trees on our tree farm to be alarmingly dry, plus I needed to finish cutting the grass.

I arrived in Barnum under threatening skies. Not wanting to get started on cutting the grass I decided to go to back and bring in an old tripod that we are scuttling. As I approached the tripod I noticed some odd dark shape things rooting in the green field next to the tripod. Violating an East Tx policy, I was caught neck deep in rooters unarmed. I put the truck in reverse and slipped back to house where I quickly armed myself with my A-Bolt and headed back to the scene of the crime.

I parked the truck further back and still-hunted up to the green field. Sure enough, the sounder was still there and I had the wind. I lined up on a monster sow and then remembered a friend recently put in a request for a whole roaster. My sights turned on a 35 pounder and off we went.

I was able to load the tripod and the dead roaster (happy the entire time I did not take the monster sow) into the back of the truck as the clouds started looking pretty dark. I wasn’t back in the barn with the roaster hanging 5 minutes when it gave loose. What timing. Not only that the Live Oaks got watered and all chances of grass cutting were officially out the window.

Right about when I had the roaster on ice the rain stopped so I went back out to sit over the only feeder we are running. Sure enough, at 7:00 pm a totally different sounder consisting of 15 or so roasters pops out. I lined two up with an attempt to pull the old East Tx “2 fer 1 special”, but in my haste I failed to compensate for small limb that dangled in front of my barrel. The limb took a 30-06 pruning and the sounder caught a break. I felt like I gave up a no hitter in the 9th! Irregardless, what a great weekend!

Click image for larger version

Name:	8334699F-6C96-40AF-BD81-0FC7E70CCA83.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	25147447

Welcome to the real world!

Click image for larger version

Name:	05C8499F-DFBC-4C7D-94D7-14BAC94EEB06.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	25147448

The Roaster
    Last edited by Anvilheadtexas; 05-20-2018, 11:21 PM.

nice................

Comment

Working...
    X