mess of greens - how do you cook them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mess of greens - how do you cook them?

Looking for something different to try. Let's see how you cook them?

Thinking of trying sauteed collard greens tonight

decided to try the sauteed greens followed this recipe:

collard greens and turnip greens, stemmed and cut into 1-inch ribbons
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1/2 cup low-sodium broth (chicken or vegetable)

1. To prep the collards, fold each leaf in half and slice off and discard the stem. Stack all the leaves together, and thinly slice them crosswise. Prep the garlic.

2. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. When it's hot and shimmering, add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Add the collard greens and stir to coat with the garlic and oil. When the greens begin to wilt, add the broth and a sprinkling of fresh ground pepper and cover. Simmer until the greens are tender but still bright green, 10-15 minutes.

They are simmering right now.

Comment

Don't you need chitlins?

Comment

Boil em

Comment

Sounds good! Think I'll give them a try

Comment

follow up on the sauteed greens, cut back on the sauteed garlic. I'd probably cut it to 1 clove minced. They soaked everything up and the garlic was VERY potent. I smelled like garlic for 2 days after eatting them..

Other than that it was good and something i'll consider again in the future. Probably because of ease of fixing them, I'll just continue to buy the canned greens and nuke them.

Comment

Cook 2lbs bacon to super crispy but not burnt. 1lb is for snacking so you don't cut into your bacon supply for the greens. Crumble the remaining 1lb bacon.

Sautee one large yellow onion in the bacon grease. Drain and set aside.

Wash greens and pluck stems. Fill up a big pot with the raw greens and add 1/2 cup water. Bring to a simmer. Add onion and a handful of brown sugar the size of a chicken egg. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

Once greens are wilted, add bacon. Cover and simmer another 5-10mins.

Add a dash of cayenne, stir, and taste. Repeat as necessary.

I have yet to find anyone that doesn't go back for seconds with this recipe!

Comment

I like to boil some link sausage for about 20 minutes, remove the sausage (leaving what has now become sausage broth in the pot), put the greens in the pot, cover and steam until desired tenderness.

Easy and good.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                  Cook 2lbs bacon to super crispy but not burnt. 1lb is for snacking so you don't cut into your bacon supply for the greens. Crumble the remaining 1lb bacon.

Sautee one large yellow onion in the bacon grease. Drain and set aside.

Wash greens and pluck stems. Fill up a big pot with the raw greens and add 1/2 cup water. Bring to a simmer. Add onion and a handful of brown sugar the size of a chicken egg. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

Once greens are wilted, add bacon. Cover and simmer another 5-10mins.

Add a dash of cayenne, stir, and taste. Repeat as necessary.

I have yet to find anyone that doesn't go back for seconds with this recipe!
                  I know thats good.

Comment

All greens and tomato dishes can be bitter.
                    I always add dark brown sugar to taste. It makes greens more palatable.

Comment

Cook 'em with salt pork, bring to rolling boil, then boil 'em low and slow for a bit, then add your white wine, boil low and slow until the stems are tender. Then eat 'em.
                      Good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuz View Post
                        Don't you need chitlins?
                        I can't quit laughing at this one.

Comment

You feed them to a deer or rabbit then eat the deer or rabbit. It really improved the flavor of the greens!

Comment

Working...
                          X