"Big Catch" for the Lil Lady...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Big Catch" for the Lil Lady...

We've been spending a lot of weekends down at our house in Crystal Beach and getting out fishing whenever we can. Last weekend, Felicia hooked into and landed this 34" Black Drum after a 20 minute fight. Her guide (yours truly) forgot to pack the landing net so she had to get him to the bank where I waded in and scooped him out. (I was waiting on that $30 Walmart rod set up to pop at any moment which I would have never been forgiven for, lol!) We tried to release him after a couple of quick pics but unfortunately he didn't survive the battle. I was able to filet him and get some good drum steaks for the grill.

Earlier in the month, we got into the sand trout and had an impromptu fish fry for some friends that were coming down later that night. It's been a lot of fun and I gotta give a "Shout Out" to our very own "Mexico" for the generous gift of free saltwater rods/reels as I transitioned to saltwater fishing. I told ya I'd put them to use, brother !

Tight lines..and just 18 more days til Bow Season opens!!!

K-Man
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Kamoman; 09-10-2019, 02:33 PM.

Nice catch !

Comment

Great photos and congrats on the fish.

Rwc

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Awesome. You can’t get a better weekend than that!

Comment

Looks like fun!

FYI im not trying to be an internet game warden but just letting you know... your not supposed to keep black drum over 30 inches. Dont bother me none just trying to keep you out of trouble.

Comment

Very nice!
              The fish looks good too.

Comment

thanks for the feedback Cullbuck. This is/was a gray area. Like I said...We tried to release it but it went belly up after trying to swim off and just floated back to the shore line? This is one of those "Newbie" ethical questions: Should I have just left it there on the rocks to rot? Experts chime in as I surely don't want to break any rules.

Thx
                Last edited by Kamoman; 09-10-2019, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Some good eats there!
                  Great pics! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

That fish appears to be exactly 30".

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kamoman View Post
                      thanks for the feedback Cullbuck. This is/was a gray area. Like I said...We tried to release it but it went belly up after trying to swim off and just floated back to the shore line? This is one of those "Newbie" ethical questions: Should I have just left it there on the rocks to rot? Experts chime in as I surely don't want to break any rules.

Thx
                      Safer to leave it on the rocks from a legal standpoint. I think you are correct on the "ethics" angle, but the position is problematic as game wardens always hear that story even when not true.

Did the drum have worms in the flesh? I have cleaned some larger legal drum that were loaded with worms. I generally will only keep the puppy drum at the bottom of the slot now.

Great pictures. Looks like a blast!

Comment

Congrats on some nice fish!

Comment

Very nice. Congrats.

Comment

Nice congratulations to y’all

Comment

RR314...Thanks for the advice...and so noted. Like you, we typically only keep the smaller fish too and release the few big ones that we caught. To my surprise, there were a few worms down near the tail area but he rest of the filets were fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X