Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Strategy Question on mid season move

Okay guns here the situation.
    1st year on the place, found a good spot right off a thick creek. Threw hand corn initially and had some good quality deer showing up on camera. Then I put up the feeder and bam! Only half the deer are showing up anymore and of course the bigger bucks haven't shown up since.....

I ventured around a bit in the thicker part of the creek and its fairly open on the bottom with lots of traffic (trails) everywhere.

So initially I thought my spot would be perfect for pulling deer out of the creek to grab a bite or just to pass by. Though now, with the buck and overall deer numbers down, I'm thinking of making a mid season move. Throwing a hanging stand dead in the heart of the creek bottom in the open area to see if I can catch a wonderer walking a trail. I would resort back to hand corn also for some attractant.

Thoughts?

I initially didn't do this because I thought I would be going to deep into the bedding area possibly and walk through to much "deerish" area to get to the spot and was afraid of pushing the deer out. However now I'm thinking this might be the ticket to sticking a better deer.

What are your guys thoughts?

The pin is the feeder and I want to move roughly 200 yards to the right and set up on a heavy traffic area
    Last edited by 150class; 11-19-2013, 11:12 AM.

Why not? Id say go for it

Comment

Rifle or bow set up?
      If you go to the right 200yds how far in does that put you, the edge in the middle of the wooded area?
      My initial though would be to go north where the cover gets pinched down some more if your bow hunting.

Comment

Assuming that pic is north at the top and south at the bottom and the pin is the west side. You might be in a bind trying to get in there at the pinch point. I have a similar set up that I can't hardly hunt unless I have any east wind. You might be Ok with a south wind. My set is 2 dry creek beds that come together and run north the bedding area is to the south. I'm all for hunting the creek beds, especially at pinch points. But, I have to pay close attention to the wind.

Comment

Alright, threw something together for yall to give a better idea.

Compass in the top right
          The blue line is the creek itself
          Green circle is my target area
          The black circle is, in my opinion a no go. Very sandy and muddy area and very narrow. Also it is probably to thick to set up in.
          Last edited by 150class; 11-19-2013, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Orange is the predicted deer movement
            Maroon is the fenceline
            Green is the target set up once again

Im thinking if I get up high enough i can keep the scent elevated for awhile to prevent from getting busted in the pinch point. Obviously if a deer is near the feeder I could possibly get busted.
            Last edited by 150class; 11-19-2013, 11:51 AM.

Comment

If those deer are anything like our deer in Oklahoma, they won't go near a traditional feeder except at night, at least the big ones won't. Take a strap and strap the feeder to a tree and they'll keep coming, I guess it's something about the legs to the feeder.

As far as the move, I don't know. The only problems is do you have a silent method of entry and exit and with a south wind, you're gonna blow your scent to the bedding area. It'll work with a north wind though.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post
                If those deer are anything like our deer in Oklahoma, they won't go near a traditional feeder except at night, at least the big ones won't. Take a strap and strap the feeder to a tree and they'll keep coming, I guess it's something about the legs to the feeder.

As far as the move, I don't know. The only problems is do you have a silent method of entry and exit and with a south wind, you're gonna blow your scent to the bedding area. It'll work with a north wind though.
                Theres a big trail coming from behind my feeder that makes for easy access to the area. I believe they bed to the south (bottom portion of picture above)

Comment

if does are still coming to feeder follow their trails and figure out where they are bedding. try and find multiple doe groups bedding in different places and setup on a trail going from doe bed to doe bed thats where big daddy will be traveling in search of a hot doe. big ones are usually too smart to come to a feeder this time of year. unless they are all over a doe

Comment

Out of my 5 sits this year these are the 3 trails and patterns I've seen the deer use.
                    The top and middle trails are how they come into the feeder.
                    The bottom trail is a pattern I've seen multiple bucks use that don't even acknowledge the feeder. They simply just pass through.
                    That's the one that really has my attention and curious about.

I have a group of 3-5 does coming in but never seen them besides on camera so I'm not positive to where they are coming from

Comment

Bump...

Bow setup by the way
                      Last edited by 150class; 11-19-2013, 05:19 PM.

Comment

A few questions…

How big is the bend in the creek where your target area is?
                        How deep is the creek?
                        Are there any definite crossings, or is it shallow to where they just cross it anywhere?
                        Is there any difference in topo, like a ridge or anything?

Comment

Hunting Strategy Question on mid season move

Originally posted by BtechDestroyer View Post
                          A few questions…

How big is the bend in the creek where your target area is?
                          How deep is the creek?
                          Are there any definite crossings, or is it shallow to where they just cross it anywhere?
                          Is there any difference in topo, like a ridge or anything?
                          I'm thinking 200 yards from side to side.
                          Shallow creek but a few definite crossings I would say
                          Flat bottom besides the creek itself.
                          Just south of the green circle is a inch of thick brush while the rest is thick tree wise but the bottom is really open.

Blue-creek
                          Black-area I think they might be bedding, way to thick to set up in
                          Red- crossings I remember that we're pretty well used
                          Maroon-fence line
                          Last edited by 150class; 11-19-2013, 05:34 PM.

Comment

From what I can see, your green circle looks ideal.

Centerpoint through several travel routes, alongside a creed bed, but whats even better, is that you're in the bend of a creek, with known crossings close by. Thick cover to the north n south, and you're deep in cover also.

If it were me, I'd leave the feeder where it's at, keep it running, and if you have another feeder, put it just to the northeast of your targeted area in that open space also. This will get the flow of traffic going all different directions. They are going to feel safe in that cover and should make for a productive spot.

Comment

bump
                              Thank you for the input so far guys

Comment

Working...
                              X