Deer vanishing ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer vanishing ?

One of our wheat fields we call the East, is 77 acres or so. It is only 300 yards wide but it is 1800 yards long best we can measure. We have blinds on both ends and the middle. The first 10 years on the place we would see 20- 80 deer per sit. The last 2 seasons were lucky to see 5 deer. A lot of times we get skunked.
    The neighbors don't hunt. Our wheat is good this year. Last year it sucked.
    What could the problem be?

We’re not seeing nearly the amount that we normally see west of Junction either.

Comment

Well it looks like it's east Tx. It's gettin poached.

Comment

Wheat field is being eaten by cows and turkeys. Zero deer on it. We even placed our biggest box blind there. Nada

Comment

Russians maybe

Comment

They switched to a gluten free diet

Comment

Likewise here. Worse season we've had in 12-13 years. Lost our 10 acres of food plots to army worms, but regardless, have protein and corn feed re out all over the place. Keep 7 trail cams out. Combined, we've put a couple hundred hours in the stands and not seen 1 doe and no mature bucks. But we've seen more coyotes and bobcats on the game cams this year year than all of the previous years combined. It's so bad that one of my grandsons has been carrying a 30-30 to his stand just for the predators. We are bow only. He's killed 2 coyotes and 1 bobcat in the last 2 weeks.

Comment

Crazy weather. Lots of green stuff. No real cold weather last couple of years. I've been hearing that from a lot of guys. Do you think they are feeding at night

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Is somebody hunting the place when you aren't there?

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I might be asking the same question DRT. The other thought is that there is food everywhere for them this season. Normally the persimmon crop is about done when archery opens, but there were still plenty of them at the rifle opener, AND acorns are still falling. Like above. No real winter so to speak and lots of natural food. Best season I have had, but I went to the trails and found bedding and natural food corridors, feeders have not had desirable results. Hope the best for you.

Comment

Coyotes and bobcats could be it. I have fewer yotes this year and definitely more fawns. Three sets of twins on 217 acres. Coyotes had mange bad last year. I think it killed some of them. I generally kill two to five yotes while deer hunting and I haven’t seen one since early spring.

Comment

Someone else is feeding too and that's why you aren't pulling as many as past years. Just my theory.....either that or you had a major die off.

Comment

Above average temps, good rains, great pasture conditions mean the deer just don't have to move. Seeing it on all the ranches I manage. Most pics are nocturnal.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                            One of our wheat fields we call the East, is 77 acres or so. It is only 300 yards wide but it is 1800 yards long best we can measure. We have blinds on both ends and the middle. The first 10 years on the place we would see 20- 80 deer per sit. The last 2 seasons were lucky to see 5 deer. A lot of times we get skunked.
                            The neighbors don't hunt. Our wheat is good this year. Last year it sucked.
                            What could the problem be?
                            Try feedin corn in shootable spots ..If that works maybe a couple feeders next year...Maybe neighboreing property got better goodies than you...Maybe 10 years of same place stands has programed the deer...Change up...

Comment

I'm having a similar problem.
                              The answer to the question is all the above that was listed.
                              Temperatures too warm, too much for them to eat, predators, etc. etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X