Commuter car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commuter car

I changed jobs from about a 12 mile a day commute to 90. I’m racking up miles on my truck and as I’m about to have to get new tires it’s made me thinking more about what makes the most sense. It’s a 2015 diesel and I’m seeing about 19 on the computer but more concerned about putting 2500 miles a month and killing the value. When I bought this truck I had planned on keeping it 10-15 years.

Looking at a cash car $5kish, would have to have a fun factor if I’m going to spend two hours a day in it. And would love to find something I can put 50k miles on and not change the value of the car. Understand maintenance etc.

Does all this make any financial sense or just stick to racking up miles?

Diesels were made for racking up miles and they don’t depreciate quickly. You might spend a few extra bucks on fuel than you want, but unless you’re getting rid of the truck, buying an extra vehicle rarely makes financial sense. Think insurance and maintenance for two vehicles vs. any potential fuel savings.

Comment

I have had 2 vehicles for many years. Had a diesel VW for years. Got 54mph driving it like it was stolen. VW bought it back for $1500 less than I paid for it and I put 100k on it in 4 years. Now I drive a Prius - Paid cash for both. Still have my 2001 2500 to row with. I even drive my commuter cars on hunting/fishing trips when I don’t need the space.

Comment

Commuter car

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
        I changed jobs from about a 12 mile a day commute to 90. I’m racking up miles on my truck and as I’m about to have to get new tires it’s made me thinking more about what makes the most sense. It’s a 2015 diesel and I’m seeing about 19 on the computer but more concerned about putting 2500 miles a month and killing the value. When I bought this truck I had planned on keeping it 10-15 years.

Looking at a cash car $5kish, would have to have a fun factor if I’m going to spend two hours a day in it. And would love to find something I can put 50k miles on and not change the value of the car. Understand maintenance etc.

Does all this make any financial sense or just stick to racking up miles?

I have a 2017 F-250 that I bought in March of 17 and it now has about 19k on it. Most of that mileage is from trips to South Texas at about 1000 miles round trip. I also bought 2013 infinity G-37 with 25k on it in 2015 that now has 100k on it. I went with the G-37 because it’s nicer on the interior and the car is quick(fun factor). The smart thing to do would be to get rid of the both and buy an eco boost or the new diesel F-150 and go down to one car but I just hate racking up the mileage on my trucks. I average around 40k a year in mileage between both vehicles and wouldn’t want to put that many miles on a truck as much as they cost. It also helps that I get a car allowance for the car.

I spent 25k on my commuter car so I would spend the 5k in a heartbeat to keep miles off my diesel.

This is what Kelly blue book says the difference is on 5 year old F-250 with 100k vs 200k.

Looks like the truck would be worth 13k less not to mention the extra maintenance cost of the diesel for those 100k miles. Tires, oil, brakes, and fuel are a lot less on the car than the diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Black Ice; 09-28-2018, 10:04 AM.

Comment

In my opinion, as well as fact, ANY vehicle you put miles on, diminishes the value.

That said, I agree with you on getting a 5-8 thousand car, and driving it till the wheels fall off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

same here. my work car is a 2013 impreza gets 32 mpg and i also take it to the deer lease when i need to make a quick trip

Comment

Bought the diesel to haul horses so trading towards a more fuel efficient vehicle doesn’t work.

Looking to find something like my new that I put 15k milked and sold it for $3000 more than when I bought it. But something pretty sporty that has hit the bottom of depreciation and would maintain or increase if I do basic upkeep/improvement.

Comment

Sporty is the problem. Get a commuter car. Honda Civic, VW Jetta, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Prius, you get the point. Nothing sporting other than the 30 plus MPG.

Comment

Working...
                X