7.62x39 vs 300 blackout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7.62x39 vs 300 blackout

In a dilemma here, I am looking at getting one of these.

Discontinued 2021. Perfect for use with a suppressor, this handy little 527 has a 16.5" barrel and is chambered in 223, 6.5 Grendel or 7.62x39.

Problem I am having a hard time deciding on is between 7.62x39 or .300 Black out. I am really leaning towards the 7.62 for pure ease of access to ammunition and decent ammo is becoming more readily available now. It will eventually wear a suppressor at some point down the road if that matters? Never really hunted with either one much but basic point of the rifle would be a bug out and truck rifle. It will be shot at pigs, whitetails, and muleys. Really torn between them and not sure what route to run so figured I would get thoughts of the green screen as well and get another perspective on it that I may not be thinking of.

I will say if they offered this dude in a 6.5 grendel we wouldn't have the need for this discussion, but that is currently not an option.
    Last edited by westtexducks; 05-31-2018, 10:04 PM.

I have had both in ar platform.

I prefer the 7.62x39 for one reason...... ammo cost for the 154 gr sp is around $250 for 1000 rds. But as far as hunting goes I like the heavier bullet pushed hard vs subsonic and suppressed.

300 blk is just a more expensive option that in a bolt gun has no real advantage

Comment

.300 blackout is worthless unless you are shooting everything 50 yards and closer. I shot two axis does in the head at 100 yards with a .300 blackout and it just knocked both of them out. Went in the skull and stuck then after a few minutes they tried to run off so we had to finish them with a 22 pistol in the ear. They were a fad but the alternative is much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Quanah11 View Post
        .300 blackout is worthless unless you are shooting everything 50 yards and closer. I shot two axis does in the head at 100 yards with a .300 blackout and it just knocked both of them out. Went in the skull and stuck then after a few minutes they tried to run off so we had to finish them with a 22 pistol in the ear. They were a fad but the alternative is much better.

This is a joke right? I have plenty of animal kills that day unless you were shooting subsonics then this has to be a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Unless you reload AND your gun is suppressed I would take the easy route and go 762x39

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
            This is a joke right? I have plenty of animal kills that day unless you were shooting subsonics then this has to be a joke.

They were on a suppressed bolt action. That’s why we went with it. To thin the axis herd at night and not cause a loud mess. They were Subsonic. We later put regular bullets in the case and loaded them without the suppressed and they weren’t bad but we went back to the Ruger ranch rifles in 7.62x39 for the rest of the thin out.

Comment

I also consider 300BLK a 50 yard cartridge, and wouldn't dream of shooting an axis with it subsonic at any range!

If you'd rather have it in grendel why not get the Howa mini? You could have it chopped, crowned, and threaded and still save money over the CZ.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                I also consider 300BLK a 50 yard cartridge, and wouldn't dream of shooting an axis with it subsonic at any range!

If you'd rather have it in grendel why not get the Howa mini? You could have it chopped, crowned, and threaded and still save money over the CZ.

50 yards subsonic I agree, supersonic I disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post

I am partial to the cz rifles. I have loved all the ones I have ever dealt with so see no need to change. Can always rebarrel later if needed to get it into grendel if I feel the need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

you'll love that gun. CZ makes nice stuff

Comment

When Hillary gets elected, black market ammo will be 7.62x39, you gotta think ahead.

Now the good thing about all that is we’ be able to pick up a quiver full of RPG’s real easy, and all the kids will have them.

7.62x39

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                        50 yards subsonic I agree, supersonic I disagree.

What ammo you running out of the blackout? I am thinking the 110 barnes ttsx would probably be the ammo to run. If running 7.62x39 looks like basically stuck running the 123 gr sst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

He has about a dozen kills with a 300 blackout..75-150 yrds....
                          Attached Files

Comment

If your conparing 300 blk out supressed to regular 7.62 your comparing apples and oranges.

If you are comparing them supressed they will be the exact same. Both are 30 cals and would be moving at the samw speed. Advantage to the 300 blk out because there are tons of bullet manufacturers making subs in 300 BO. It feeds through an AR great.

If you are conparing full speed then the 7.62 will take over at about 150 yards. I have seen a 300 BO with 110 gr tac-tx smoke deer and hogs DRT at 150. I shot a coyote quartering to me at 100 yards through the nose came out it’s chin then entered again at the shoulder breaking that, it eventually made and exit between his balls. That dog jumped up and flopped down.

I am partial to 300 BO if you need to shoot further than 150 there are better rounds than the 7.62.

Comment

The only thing you need to consider when using 300 BLK to hunt with is that it offers a limited range, 200 yards for supersonic ammo and 150 yards or less for subsonic ammo.

Comment

Working...
                              X