Buck Down in Walker County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's been an emotional season for me. Ups and downs. I guided my brother on his first archery kill, guided my nephew for his first deer, and could not recover my biggest buck ever a couple weeks ago.
    This deer means alot to me. Hes not my biggest ever, but he is my biggest low fence deer.

This afternoon in particular, wasn't really even a hunt. The land owner asked me to check on a fence line after work. So as soon as i made it home, i had 30 minutes of light to finish his task. I decided to swap memory cards in my camera before the weekend hunts after i got done with the fence. When pulling up to the top of the hill by the big box stand, i shut down the 4wheeler and spot a large pig down the power line easement. Walked to within 200 yards of him and used a telephone pole to steady my aim.
    In the fading light, i switch the safety off then i catch movement.
    This buck literally stepped into my scopes field of view between me and the pig. And he was close. 100-115 yards close. Boom.
    Funny thing is, he came out on the exact same trail i hit the previous big buck a few weeks ago.

Light was too far gone by the time i walked down to where he was standing after waiting 10-15 minutes. So i went home, got my light, and brought the FIL and wife for the track.
    Found blood but it was scarce. Tiny specs is all we could find but there were bubbles and it was light pink color. I knew he wasn't far. But i brought out Charlie, our beagle to track. In minutes, he found him. Without that dog, i probably would not have found this deer. The last 50-60 yards had no blood on the ground at all.

Turns out, the shot was perfect. Quartering away slightly, double lung but a little high on entry and lower on exit. He is a nice 10 pt with a split brow tine that i got a single pic of at my feeder back in October.

This deer was a gift from above. I thanked God for the great year i have had so far, and giving me a second chance to bag a good deer. I just know Dad is smiling down on me tonight.
    Deer #4 is in the freezer and i am officially tagged out in Walker co. I never even changed out of my office clothes.

Hopefully i can secure this place again next season. While out checking the fence in the far back, i found 3 scrapes no more than 30 yards apart next to a thicket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats that’s a nice buck

Comment

Great buck Congrats!

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats on the buck and good read.

Curious- what caliber and what ammo?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
              Congrats on the buck and good read.

Curious- what caliber and what ammo?
              Thank you,

It was Federal Fusion 165 grain .308

Last edited by bloodstick; 11-17-2017, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Congrats bud!

Comment

Nice job!

Comment

congrats!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Boom goes the dynamite

Comment

Great buck, congrats.

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                              Thank you,

It was Federal Fusion 165 grain .308

Good to know, my .308 pistol is sighted in with that same ammo.

Comment

Working...
                              X