Duck weed help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duck weed help

I just bought a house with a small pond (30'x60') surrounded by trees and covered in duck weed. I'm assuming the pond is dead. I've read on here different chemicals to use (more expensive than i want to pay), or using tilapia or carp. I think im going to go the tilapia route.

My question is how many do you think i would need for a pond my size, and when should i try to remove as much of the weed as i can? Should i start trying to get it out now, or wait till winter is over, since i wont be buying the fish till spring anyways.

Buy them in the spring, as the ducks should be along soon to clean it up for you

Comment

Duck weed only grows in healthy water.

Comment

Koi eat duckweed like crazy. Whenever we buy pond plants that have some on it, our koi go around eating it up like candy. I used to grow some up in the top of our filter to scoop out and feed them as a treat every now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
          Duck weed only grows in healthy water.
          Yes, but from what i understand (someone correct me if im wrong) once it takes over it depletes the water of oxygen. Thats the reason i think its dead. It is literally a blanket over the entire pond right now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Trust me on this one. I would try and manually remove as much as possible with a pond rake right now, preferably on a windy day to push it towards you on the bank. Next season, early in the spring put the proper amount of Sonar in the pond. I just battled pond weed this past year and I tried herbicides,etc. That sonar RTU is expensive but it works! Pond was completely covered early in spring and it was perfectly clear about 45days after application of sonar.

Comment

Cut a hole out, throw decoys, and shoot em in the face!

Comment

Do a search someone wanted some. I would give him all he wants!

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas guys. Keep them coming. Im open to all ideas. This was about 2 months ago. Its fully cover now.

Comment

Originally posted by Codypatt1 View Post
                    Trust me on this one. I would try and manually remove as much as possible with a pond rake right now, preferably on a windy day to push it towards you on the bank. Next season, early in the spring put the proper amount of Sonar in the pond. I just battled pond weed this past year and I tried herbicides,etc. That sonar RTU is expensive but it works! Pond was completely covered early in spring and it was perfectly clear about 45days after application of sonar.
                    This! I've battled duckweed twice and used the RTU Sonar. Make sure you spray the bank edges where the water may have receded, leaving the weed to regenerate with rain or the pond refills.

Comment

Duck weed help

Originally posted by Part Timer View Post
                      Thanks for all the ideas guys. Keep them coming. Im open to all ideas. This was about 2 months ago. Its fully cover now.

My cousin did our pond with a net on several windy days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Part Timer View Post

That looks like a wood duck heaven

Comment

Originally posted by G5-Maniac View Post
                          That looks like a wood duck heaven

Exactly what I was thinkin!

Comment

I bought an asphalt rake Nd raked mine out a couple hours at a time each day until I got it cleared. I have also sprayed mine before. Both work good. Good Luck! You might just wait for it to get cold and it all dies off, I've seen it do that before as well.

Comment

Working...
                            X