What fixed blade for Elk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going on my first archery elk hunt in CO this year and the ranch only allows fixed blades. I’m thinking a three-blade with decent size diameter and thick blades. 0.040” seems to be toward the thicker end when comparing.

Experiences /stories welcome here!

Four blades have higher mechanical advantage and typically out penetrate their 3-blade counterparts for whatever it’s worth. That being said for a 3-blade in like VPA’s and QAD Exodus and Smoke Ramcats. Don’t forget the 4-blades or overlook 2-blades for ultimate penetration and terminal performance. Good luck, a ton on choices!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

4 blade Slick trick

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
        4 blade Slick trick
        This

Comment

After a lot of research and listening to hours of podcasts, I’ve decided that my top choices for this year will be slick trick standard, exodus swept, and iron will. The swept isn’t legal in all states so you need to check. Slicks are great and I shot them last year on whitetail but bent the ferrule on one hitting the spine on a deer. It they are accurate and will penetrate when the shot is well placed. Exodus are tough as can be and accurate as well in a 3 blade. Iron will kind of speak for themselves as a two blade with bleeders. They appear to be bomb proof to an extent and have the best warranty. But they are pricey.

Comment

Slick Trick

Comment

Killed mine with a 4 blade Muzzy 100 grain.

Comment

slick tricks are great broadheads for sure.
                Ever consider silver flames or Massai's

Comment

Originally posted by parkchief100 View Post
                  Killed mine with a 4 blade Muzzy 100 grain.

Missy trocar is another great head

Comment

Either of the exodus heads are fantastic. I like slick trick magnums and vipertricks but have killed elk with standards. I love iron wills and will be taking them on my Roosevelt hunt in September. Any good fixed blade will work. I killed my Arizona bull with a wac’em. Terrible shot but it worked. I think muzzy trocar would be a decent choice. I killed my first elk with a 4 blade magnus stinger and my second with a montec. I guess what I saying is shoot what flies well and you have confidence in.

My top three choices:
                    Qad exodus
                    Slick trick vipertrick
                    Iron will

Comment

QAD Exxodus

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
                        Either of the exodus heads are fantastic. I like slick trick magnums and vipertricks but have killed elk with standards. I love iron wills and will be taking them on my Roosevelt hunt in September. Any good fixed blade will work. I killed my Arizona bull with a wac’em. Terrible shot but it worked. I think muzzy trocar would be a decent choice. I killed my first elk with a 4 blade magnus stinger and my second with a montec. I guess what I saying is shoot what flies well and you have confidence in.

My top three choices:
                        Qad exodus
                        Slick trick vipertrick
                        Iron will

In that order Doc?? [emoji1303]

Comment

Slick trick

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                            In that order Doc?? [emoji1303]

Not really in any order. For me the exodus fly the worst. I think they are a fabulous head but I can only get them to group consistently with field points out to 60 yards or so. The vipers fly well for me to 80 yards. No problem shooting iron wills to 100 yards. I always or usually carry a variety of heads in my quiver so I want everything to hit the same. A slick trick standard is another that will fly like a dart at all ranges.

Comment

QAD Exodus with swept blades.

Comment

Working...
                              X