Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #51
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

From their web site

The adopted surveillance rule requires a total of three eligible mortalities to be CWD tested
and valid test results submitted to your local TAHC region office on or by April 1 of every
year. Eligible mortalities include hunter harvested exotic CWD susceptible species or
natural mortalities that occur on the premises. This requirement applies to all high and low
fenced
premises where exotic CWD susceptible species are located and is not dependent
on movement.
Mortality Record Keeping
The adopted mortality record keeping rule states that the owner of a premises where an
eligible mortality occurs must maintain a mortality record. The mortality record must be
submitted to the TAHC central office on or by April 1 of every year.

Last edited by Buff; 02-13-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 01:35 PM   #52
Buff
Pope & Young

Knowing that not only would I have to bare the expense of this every year going forward but also the knowledge that If they ever found a CWD animal on my place they would kill everything on my farm, is one of the main factors that made me decide to sell out.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:07 PM   #53
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
From their web site

The adopted surveillance rule requires a total of three eligible mortalities to be CWD tested
and valid test results submitted to your local TAHC region office on or by April 1 of every
year. Eligible mortalities include hunter harvested exotic CWD susceptible species or
natural mortalities that occur on the premises. This requirement applies to all high and low
fenced
premises where exotic CWD susceptible species are located and is not dependent
on movement.
Mortality Record Keeping
The adopted mortality record keeping rule states that the owner of a premises where an
eligible mortality occurs must maintain a mortality record. The mortality record must be
submitted to the TAHC central office on or by April 1 of every year.

Wow.. Like I said in a previous post.. The average hunter, one who doesn't keep up with this ever changing "crisis", has no idea how complicated things are about to become..
I try to keep up and this is news to me.. I have a feeling it's news to a lot of folks. Even the folks who have these animals on their property..
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 02:07 PM   #54
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Knowing that not only would I have to bare the expense of this every year going forward but also the knowledge that If they ever found a CWD animal on my place they would kill everything on my farm, is one of the main factors that made me decide to sell out.
Selling out was a great idea....
Old 02-13-2018, 02:36 PM   #55
Buff
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Selling out was a great idea....
some days I almost tear up missing it
Old 02-13-2018, 02:38 PM   #56
RodinaRanč
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bastrop & Mason Cty
Default More CWD info

Quote:
Knowing that not only would I have to bare the expense of this every year going forward but also the knowledge that If they ever found a CWD animal on my place they would kill everything on my farm.

TAHC, to my knowledge, has never said either.

The rules/statute don't state specifically who covers the testing expense. I have been advised to submit an invoice to both them & the USDA for reimbursement.

As far as coming in & killing everything....that is still rumor/speculation at this point with folks assuming TAHC/TPWD will follow the same protocol for exotics as they do for whitetail.

Slight hitch in the giddy-up there:

1) exotics are livestock, whitetail are not.

2) Some exotics have proven incapable of contracting CWD (e.g. Axis, Fallow, et.al)

3) exotics are largely privately owned livestock & as such is USDA reimbursable, whitetail are not.

4) free ranging exotics both susceptible & non-susceptible species fall under who's purview?

So...as you can see, the rules/statue/s passed aren't exactly comprehensive are they?

Last edited by RodinaRanč; 02-13-2018 at 02:43 PM.
RodinaRanč is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 02:39 PM   #57
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
some days I almost tear up missing it
I bet so...

I have a feeling you won't be the the last one that is "regulated out" before this fiasco is over.. That's if it's ever really over..
Old 02-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #58
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

So from what I've just been told this^^^^includes Sika deer too..
Old 02-13-2018, 03:23 PM   #59
Buff
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodinaRanč View Post
TAHC, to my knowledge, has never said either.

The rules/statute don't state specifically who covers the testing expense. I have been advised to submit an invoice to both them & the USDA for reimbursement.

As far as coming in & killing everything....that is still rumor/speculation at this point with folks assuming TAHC/TPWD will follow the same protocol for exotics as they do for whitetail.

Slight hitch in the giddy-up there:

1) exotics are livestock, whitetail are not.

2) Some exotics have proven incapable of contracting CWD (e.g. Axis, Fallow, et.al)

3) exotics are largely privately owned livestock & as such is USDA reimbursable, whitetail are not.

4) free ranging exotics both susceptible & non-susceptible species fall under who's purview?

So...as you can see, the rules/statue/s passed aren't exactly comprehensive are they?

I guess you worked with a better guy than I did.
He told me to pay for the Vet to pull the sample and send it in and told me If they found it I could expect they would kill everything they could to test them as well.

I asked what the fine would be If I refused to do the testing and he told me that he did not know as of yet.

Last edited by Buff; 02-13-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:47 PM   #60
RodinaRanč
Eight Point

Yeah, hear ya...field staff like to give their opinion which isn't necessarily the law.
I went directly to our TAHC director....even he stuttered when confronted with fact
Old 02-13-2018, 04:11 PM   #61
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

So to be devil's advocate. If you just let a the exotics die and they have CWD they then infect your ranch but at least you and the state don't know about it. I really question some of the thought process that goes into the rules and regs. This is a complex subject that is above my pay grade and I am not sure what the best avenue is to take but it really seems like it is going to be something we have to deal with rather than avoid.
Take Dead Aim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 06:32 PM   #62
RodinaRanč
Eight Point

Default More CWD info

As far as i'm concerned, i've tested 100% negative on all exotic samples sent in for testing. If I pop positive in the future, my position will be the state's whitetail both inside/outside my fence & the state's entities chartered to steward that resource are to blame, & i will pursue that to the fullest extent i can financially ....including diminished property value for the next _______generations of my family

I didn't work my butt off to be able to build what i did for myself & my family just to let some politcal horse's arses ruin it b/c they choose to play games as opposed to doing the work

Last edited by RodinaRanč; 02-13-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:10 PM   #63
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodinaRanč View Post
As far as i'm concerned, i've tested 100% negative on all exotic samples sent in for testing. If I pop positive in the future, my position will be the state's whitetail both inside/outside my fence & the state's entities chartered to steward that resource are to blame, & i will pursue that to the fullest extent i can financially ....including diminished property value for the next _______generations of my family

I didn't work my butt off to be able to build what i did for myself & my family just to let some politcal horse's arses ruin it b/c they choose to play games as opposed to doing the work
I'm backing you all the way but good luck filing a lawsuit against the State.
Take Dead Aim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 07:28 PM   #64
STGS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

The "what if" risk factor is why I don't understand those voluntarily testing deer. There is absolutely no upside to a landowner to cooperate without a clearly defined protocol in the event of a positive test.
STGS is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 08:03 PM   #65
RodinaRanč
Eight Point

Default More CWD info

Ppppffft...even involuntarily...what is the protocol for exotics w/ positive results? As far as i know it's whatever "they" decide & structure into rules/law after the fact to cya themselves....

there is no leadership/accountability in their processes/program mgmnt, it's embarrassingly apparent...

yet folks that love to put holes in critters have an "oh i'll jump up when it affects me personally" attitude..."this is a landowner issue not a me as a hunter issue". I don't get why folks have to be slapped in the face with reality before the hampster get's on its wheel

As a producer/steward...i hate it & will do anything i can to help the owner & the hunter; as a fellow hole puncher, i have what's coming to me if I don't stand up & say STOP....enough is enough, either do your job or get the hell outta the way ....or.... just tell the truth....it's here to stay, get used to it

Last edited by RodinaRanč; 02-13-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:19 AM   #66
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

I just listened to episode 70 of the Meateater Podcast on CWD with Bryan Richards of the National Wildlife Health Center in Wisconsin. Lots of good information for anyone to listen to.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2018, 11:44 AM   #67
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
I just listened to episode 70 of the Meateater Podcast on CWD with Bryan Richards of the National Wildlife Health Center in Wisconsin. Lots of good information for anyone to listen to.
Is it? There is a lot that disagree with his thoughts, especially in it causing long term populations decreases.

We have higher densities on lower CC habitat then ever before, then a lovely fire comes through and boom population explodes. Weird, who would of think it.
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2018, 12:04 PM   #68
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans42 View Post
Is it? There is a lot that disagree with his thoughts, especially in it causing long term populations decreases.

We have higher densities on lower CC habitat then ever before, then a lovely fire comes through and boom population explodes. Weird, who would of think it.
He stated over and over that it has caused long term decline in local areas only and had not shown a regional impact yet.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2018, 12:53 PM   #69
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
He stated over and over that it has caused long term decline in local areas only and had not shown a regional impact yet.
Local areas are burned areas, that’s the way fire works...local areas have migration areas that’s how winter works.

Again local populations have hit peak CC in many areas. That CC is in general a downward slope, because the change in natural habitat management occurances have been stricken from the land scape.

Every population has destinct increases and decreases do to Mother Nature, as habitat shrinks and densities increase, it’s need become more apparent.

Define long term? 80 years ago elk and mule deer had just barely come back enough to finally have a limited hunting season in a hand full of states.

So local areas are declining to match carrying capacity or is because predators are CWD resistant or snowfall or loss of winter range or.... blah blah blah.

Blaming a disease that has a longer gestation then normal life expectancy is a stretch especially when you ignore the most obvious and more apparent reasoning. Hell its obvious for population declines everywhere that CWD hasn’t been observed or had a positive test.

Re-listen and hear Steve start and then bite his tongue on these very same topics. CWD is not good, neither is anthrax, EHD etc. Extinction via disease is an interesting topic, if we lived on an small island and not a continent then this conversation would be much different and indeed dire.
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top