Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-04-2018, 10:11 AM   #101
krausejmk
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
Are there any good areas to ruck around Tomball/Cypress/Montgomery area? I would like to start doing weekend rucks, I miss living in Arizona where I could go do hike all the time!
I use some mountain bike trails off of cypresswood. They are cypress creek mountain bike trails ( You can park between Grant and Jones road on Cypresswood ). Have some good up and down elevation built in and I live right there. Can get about an 8 mile loop without repeating too.
krausejmk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 10:12 AM   #102
krausejmk
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by popup_menace View Post
My favorite workout to do by a long shot is throwing 60# on my back and just walking. Turn on a podcast and I can go for days. It comes in handy when you want to hunt and pack out your deer without dragging anywhere.

Attachment 882201
Is that an EXO pack? If so which one and how do you like it?
Old 01-04-2018, 10:23 AM   #103
popup_menace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Back yard, stand, or my dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by krausejmk View Post
Is that an EXO pack? If so which one and how do you like it?
Yes itís an Exo. It is the k2 3500. I am very pleased with the overall capacity and performance. I use it at least 3 times a week with about 60# in it for backpack cardio and I have never had an issue with discomfort. It is easy to load up and the load stays in place with minimal tweaking while you walk. The frame articulates very well which keeps my hips from hurting.

As far as hunting, I can fit enough clothes in it to go to deer camp for up to 5 days if I donít put any cooking stuff in it. I have yet to take it to Colorado, but Iíd feel comfortable backpacking in for at least three days with it if I had the right gear. As you can see in the pic, it has changed the way I look at hauling out deer.

The people at Exo are also some of the nicest folks Iíve talked to. They sent out a Christmas card and another sticker last week, and I can always get a hold of the owners when I have questions or even suggestions. They are not a large company, but the quality is definitely there.
popup_menace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 10:42 AM   #104
krausejmk
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by popup_menace View Post
Yes itís an Exo. It is the k2 3500. I am very pleased with the overall capacity and performance. I use it at least 3 times a week with about 60# in it for backpack cardio and I have never had an issue with discomfort. It is easy to load up and the load stays in place with minimal tweaking while you walk. The frame articulates very well which keeps my hips from hurting.

As far as hunting, I can fit enough clothes in it to go to deer camp for up to 5 days if I donít put any cooking stuff in it. I have yet to take it to Colorado, but Iíd feel comfortable backpacking in for at least three days with it if I had the right gear. As you can see in the pic, it has changed the way I look at hauling out deer.

The people at Exo are also some of the nicest folks Iíve talked to. They sent out a Christmas card and another sticker last week, and I can always get a hold of the owners when I have questions or even suggestions. They are not a large company, but the quality is definitely there.

Thanks for the info! I have been trying to decide between an Exo or the Mystery Ranch Metcalf or marshall. I have found a few of those on sale lately.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:54 AM   #105
super_dave
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NW Smith County

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeghunts View Post
What do you guys think of this pack for a beginner? It's in the budget and I can pick it up today.

https://www.gtdist.com/red-rock-assault-pack-1.html

Youíre really gonna want a waist strap and I donít see this bag having one
super_dave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 11:17 AM   #106
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever

Quote:
What do you guys think of this pack for a beginner? It's in the budget and I can pick it up today.

https://www.gtdist.com/red-rock-assault-pack-1.html
It is really small. I watched the video (scanned it) and the guy clearly says it is small and compares it to some other sized packs which tells the tale. I am by all means no expert, but I would be worried about the ability to up the weight on it and the straps are probably sized for lighter weight since it is a small pack.

On the flip side... when you have too big of a pack... it is hard to get the weight up higher and you are stuffing it full of stuff to get the weight distribution that is more ideal... so there is that. But lets be honest... in the real world, you rarely find yourself having to pack something dense to your back.. you are often carrying some bulky thing like a bag of corn... or a stand... or a deboned deer...
SwampRabbit is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 11:29 AM   #107
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress

This was a fun Ruck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JTeLarkin08 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 11:46 AM   #108
covedogs
Four Point

Walking does everything you need. I ran for a long time, and now I am paying for it in my knees and hips. Constant pain.
covedogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 08:40 AM   #109
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Look... there is a leaderboard and somehow I am in the top 5 after logging 6 miles from this mornings 65# ruck.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2018, 10:17 AM   #110
BJ DUPLECHAIN
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wood Co

Good job, Swamp! Keep it up!
BJ DUPLECHAIN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2018, 02:12 PM   #111
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dry Creek Ranch-Real County

First ďlong RuckĒ of the training cycle this morning.

Name:  8B7CB93D-98E9-4E53-B4B9-B60DDF849729.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  39.3 KB
1369 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2018, 02:23 PM   #112
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Good job Mark

Putting in 4ish mile tuck between sits right now myself.

Old 01-06-2018, 02:38 PM   #113
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1369 View Post
First ďlong RuckĒ of the training cycle this morning.

Attachment 891106
Were leading the group that rucked through GVTC field today? I was out there with my daughter this morning and saw a group come through.
.270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2018, 04:07 PM   #114
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Well... 4 turned into 5... the 1k challenge is a real good motivator.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:44 PM   #115
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by .270 View Post
Were leading the group that rucked through GVTC field today? I was out there with my daughter this morning and saw a group come through.
Wasnít me, I was in the Stone Oak area. Not familiar with GVTC. Where is that and are they good trails?
Old 01-06-2018, 05:43 PM   #116
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
Well... 4 turned into 5... the 1k challenge is a real good motivator.

Well done! Yea, that number of X miles/day to complete motivates you to try and keep it small.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:03 PM   #117
Ten Point

Quote:
Wasnít me, I was in the Stone Oak area. Not familiar with GVTC. Where is that and are they good trails?
If the gate is open the loop around the field is about 1 mile. I would jog it while my daughter had soccer practice. Then, kinder ranch has some hills. It's the fields on the right when you head north on Bulverde Rd from Borgfeld.

29064 Bulverde Rd, San Antonio, TX 78260
Old 01-07-2018, 05:42 PM   #118
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Finally, after 7 months, I got around to buying a smaller duffel for my heavy ruck. The old one was huge and sagged...

The new one is much better and upped it 10% from 65 to 72#

Last edited by SwampRabbit; 01-07-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:57 PM   #119
Pope & Young

Quote:
Finally, after 7 months, I got around to buying a smaller duffel for my heavy ruck. The old one was huge and sagged...

The new one is much better and upped it 10% from 65 to 72#

That looks like itís gonna be tons more comfortable.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:20 PM   #120
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
That looks like itís gonna be tons more comfortable.
About to go take it for a spin... so we'll see

Old 01-07-2018, 08:06 PM   #121
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Well... I am going to have to get used to the new weight and config.... was bugging my middle back after about 2 miles.

But I did switch out to the 40#er and finished off 4.4 miles with the wife.

So I am at 54.7 miles for the first week. The longest was only 7 miles with the rest 4-5 milers and double header days.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:12 PM   #122
Dave

From someone who has carried a lot of heavy rucks a lot of miles over the years, be careful with that weight. Generally more than 25# is too much if you are doing it on a frequent basis. 25# engages the stability muscles in the back and hips without putting too much strain to cause repetition injuries. There is a reason 35# is the standard for Infantry times road marches. We carried way more than that for field exercises and in combat but only trained with that for weekly ruck marches. The lighter weight will give you the benefits without the chance of damage.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2018, 09:15 PM   #123
jmeghunts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
From someone who has carried a lot of heavy rucks a lot of miles over the years, be careful with that weight. Generally more than 25# is too much if you are doing it on a frequent basis. 25# engages the stability muscles in the back and hips without putting too much strain to cause repetition injuries. There is a reason 35# is the standard for Infantry times road marches. We carried way more than that for field exercises and in combat but only trained with that for weekly ruck marches. The lighter weight will give you the benefits without the chance of damage.
I'm still trying to decide on all this rucking stuff. So, in your opinion, should I just work my way up to 35# and keep it there? Also, what shoes would you recommend?
jmeghunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 12:27 PM   #124
Dave

Quote:
I'm still trying to decide on all this rucking stuff. So, in your opinion, should I just work my way up to 35# and keep it there? Also, what shoes would you recommend?
Yes, start light and get to 35#. Start with a 20# pack. Get your body used to walking miles day after day.

As for shoes/boots I think a lot is up to personal preference. I hike in a pair of Solomon ankle height light hikers. All the guides I work with either use a light hiker or trail runners and when we are working we are carrying a lot more than 35#. Depending on the situation of course, trudging through snow and mud in Alaska I had a calf height treeking boot on. But for Texas and the South West I'm more concerned with my feet breathing than keeping stuff out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2018, 12:44 PM   #125
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Part of being careful is acclimating. I had 100s if miles of walking miles before I started at 15 and worked my way to 40 as my staple weight. It took considerable time and miles to adapt. I actually ended up adapting pretty well to the 55, then 65# load that I used occasionally... and then more regularly. The jump to 70 is my last, as that was the goal and 40% of my body weight. I will back down on volume with that load until I slowly adapt.

My 40# pretty much feels like nothing these days.

Oh, and if you want to know why I am rucking with 70#.... well an Elk quarter weighs more than 35#... or so I am told.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:21 PM   #126
Dave

Quote:
Part of being careful is acclimating. I had 100s if miles of walking miles before I started at 15 and worked my way to 40 as my staple weight. It took considerable time and miles to adapt. I actually ended up adapting pretty well to the 55, then 65# load that I used occasionally... and then more regularly. The jump to 70 is my last, as that was the goal and 40% of my body weight. I will back down on volume with that load until I slowly adapt.

My 40# pretty much feels like nothing these days.

Oh, and if you want to know why I am rucking with 70#.... well an Elk quarter weighs more than 35#... or so I am told.

No doubt, but I'm telling you that there are a lot better and safer ways to build the muscle that will help carry that 70 lbs than just putting on a 70 lbs ruck and walking. Anything over 35 is asking for trouble. Get in the gym, do squats, dead lifts, hours of stair machine all will end up in a better result.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:32 PM   #127
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
No doubt, but I'm telling you that there are a lot better and safer ways to build the muscle that will help carry that 70 lbs than just putting on a 70 lbs ruck and walking. Anything over 35 is asking for trouble. Get in the gym, do squats, dead lifts, hours of stair machine all will end up in a better result.

I do those things as well

Old 01-08-2018, 06:36 PM   #128
Ten Point

Thoughts on this right here? I like the price.

https://www.roguefitness.com/alice-f...YaAhidEALw_wcB
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2018, 07:40 PM   #129
Dave

I wouldn't want to carry an alice pack anywhere. All your weight on your shoulders, pulling you into bad back and spine troubles. I carried one for a lot of miles because the Army said I had to, not never again with any weight in it. I know a lot of people with screwed up spines and knees from those things.

You want a modern pack with a weight distribution belt so you can carry the bulk of the weight on your hips.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:05 PM   #130
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by .270 View Post
Thoughts on this right here? I like the price.

https://www.roguefitness.com/alice-f...YaAhidEALw_wcB
Hey, that is pretty cool. Price isnt bad... Just don't like the price of weights

Old 01-09-2018, 12:48 PM   #131
Pope & Young

For y'all doing the Jailbreak, any suggestions on a place to stay the night before the event?
Old 01-09-2018, 02:21 PM   #132
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
For y'all doing the Jailbreak, any suggestions on a place to stay the night before the event?
After doing a Constellation event... I wouldn't think you would be too choosy

I am about a 50 minute drive, so I am just starting my day an hour early.

There are hotels and such in Baytown... but when I was younger... I would normally head down to Clearlake/Kemah for the hotels, restaurants, and bars/shopping and enternainment.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:09 AM   #133
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Even if just for a few minutes...

Old 01-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #134
Junkers88
Ten Point

Hunt In: searching

Almost 80 miles this year already? Man you are just crushing it!

God bless and happy hunting.
Richard.
Junkers88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 12:16 PM   #135
Pope & Young

Well, it ain't 80, but I'm getting there with training ruck #3 on the books.

Name:  IMG_5440.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  38.9 KB

Name:  IMG_5436.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  43.3 KB
Old 01-10-2018, 09:17 PM   #136
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkers88 View Post
Almost 80 miles this year already? Man you are just crushing it!

God bless and happy hunting.
Richard.
Thanks Richard! It is officially 80 miles now.

Hoping to hit 100 before the end of the week. Weekend plans might mess that up though.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #137
Pope & Young

This popped up this morning...

Name:  Ruck.jpeg
Views: 181
Size:  100.2 KB
Old 01-11-2018, 03:04 PM   #138
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
This popped up this morning...

Attachment 891890
Seriously? Crap! I procrastinated too long Didnt even know they had a quota for the ruck.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:11 PM   #139
Hardware
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, Western US & Argentina

I started last night with 20lbs in a 511 pack for 4 miles!!!!
Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 03:21 PM   #140
kingranch
Ten Point

this is a bad idea from medical standpoint.. your disc in your lower back will tell you that in a few yrs but dont say I didnt warn you, I see it every day... worst are usually middle age ex military guys from training like this
-just get out and use body wt and squats to strengthen legs no more needed..
Slow and steady hauling meat back on pack
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 03:21 PM   #141
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
I started last night with 20lbs in a 511 pack for 4 miles!!!!
Nice! Which 5.11 did you use? I am using the Rush12.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #142
txbowhunter08
Ten Point

Hunt In: public land

Quote:
Did this 4 years ago in the army with air assault load the last 2 mile hill was brutal
txbowhunter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 04:25 PM   #143
Ten Point

Quote:
Nice! Which 5.11 did you use? I am using the Rush12.

Yes please fill me in on the 5.11 packs!!! Look good and affordable via Amazon but I know nothing about how to compare which packs are worth a dern.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:36 PM   #144
JoseyWales82
Six Point

Hunt In: Cypress, TX/Weimar, TX

I really like the all the hiking and mileage that I see getting cranked out. I've read this thread and others like it from Swamprabbit in past. (The ruck fishing trip was awesome)

I'll never understand why people use a "rucksack" instead of a backpacking pack. The backpacks offered by osprey, Gregory, arcteryx, etc, are awesome. Years of research from thru hikers. Super lite and designed to minimize wear and tear on your body. So you are ready for the next day.

I guess I understand (or maybe I don't) that guys from the military want to use a product that they are familiar with. I understand that the "ruck" backpacks are made from a thicker material, hence maybe more reliable in the long run.(durability) But youre not getting shot at and its not a life or death situation if your pack gets a hole in it.(Osprey has a life time warranty, small hole, send it back)

So I guess my questions is......

Why not use the best gear available for your task?
JoseyWales82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 04:38 PM   #145
JoseyWales82
Six Point

I saw this the other day and thought of Swamprabbits ruck threads.

https://houston.craigslist.org/spo/d...438697973.html

Still too heavy (empty) for my likings. But I thought of the Ruckers.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:38 PM   #146
Hardware
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, Western US & Argentina

I have a 511 tac tec plate vest.
Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 04:44 PM   #147
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseyWales82 View Post
I really like the all the hiking and mileage that I see getting cranked out. I've read this thread and others like it from Swamprabbit in past. (The ruck fishing trip was awesome)

I'll never understand why people use a "rucksack" instead of a backpacking pack. The backpacks offered by osprey, Gregory, arcteryx, etc, are awesome. Years of research from thru hikers. Super lite and designed to minimize wear and tear on your body. So you are ready for the next day.

I guess I understand (or maybe I don't) that guys from the military want to use a product that they are familiar with. I understand that the "ruck" backpacks are made from a thicker material, hence maybe more reliable in the long run.(durability) But youre not getting shot at and its not a life or death situation if your pack gets a hole in it.(Osprey has a life time warranty, small hole, send it back)

So I guess my questions is......

Why not use the best gear available for your task?
I see your point, but I don't thru hike, backpack, etc.

I have used a GORUCK GR0 for the past 4 Bataan Death March events and all the training that leads up to those events. I've also used it for other events as well. I also use it as a travel bag for short work trips. I've used it as a range bag. I've used it to haul stuff back and forth to a deer blind. I've used it to hump gear at Disney World and Universal.

I wanted a ruck sack that I could have for multiple uses. Just so happens that I'm also accustomed to it for weighted endurance events as well.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:58 PM   #148
JoseyWales82
Six Point

Quote:

I have used a GORUCK GR0 for the past 4 Bataan Death March events and all the training that leads up to those events. I've also used it for other events as well. I also use it as a travel bag for short work trips. I've used it as a range bag. I've used it to haul stuff back and forth to a deer blind. I've used it to hump gear at Disney World and Universal.

I wanted a ruck sack that I could have for multiple uses. Just so happens that I'm also accustomed to it for weighted endurance events as well.
I do the same with my packs too. 30L for the day stuff described(and some quick summer time overnighters). 65L for multi-day trips.

Seems like more of a "looks cool" then practicality. (Which I'm not against by any means) I mean why have molle webbing everywhere? to attach things? like what?

Just for the record, I think the tactical look is bad ***.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:04 PM   #149
JoseyWales82
Six Point

Quote:

I agree they are cool packs. And versatile.

But when it comes to distance and weight distribution.....
Old 01-11-2018, 05:06 PM   #150
JoseyWales82
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
Are there any good areas to ruck around Tomball/Cypress/Montgomery area? I would like to start doing weekend rucks, I miss living in Arizona where I could go do hike all the time!
Check out the Lone Star Trail.

http://lonestartrail.org/ <------ Really nice maps

Last edited by JoseyWales82; 01-11-2018 at 05:09 PM. Reason: added website