No announcement yet.

GOP House Moves Against Public Lands on Its Opening Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is scary how many hunters are willing to see federal public land get turned over to the states. You think the Federal Gov. hasn't got money to get s**t done wait till it goes to the state, they have even less. What happens when the states get in a financial crunch...they will sell the land to private groups which will certainly cut off access. Lets as a group try to not be so short sided and fight for public lands to be protected.

BTW: the reason the feds cant get anything done on federal lands is not because it is the federal government it is because they enter litigation with every special interest group out there, thus having to go to court, which cost money...this is what restricts the federal government from performing necessary management on those public lands.

Comment

Originally posted by MTaylor View Post
      It is scary how many hunters are willing to see federal public land get turned over to the states. You think the Federal Gov. hasn't got money to get s**t done wait till it goes to the state, they have even less. What happens when the states get in a financial crunch...they will sell the land to private groups which will certainly cut off access. Lets as a group try to not be so short sided and fight for public lands to be protected.

BTW: the reason the feds cant get anything done on federal lands is not because it is the federal government it is because they enter litigation with every special interest group out there, thus having to go to court, which cost money...this is what restricts the federal government from performing necessary management on those public lands.

That in no way is a vote of confidence in the Federal Government.

It's not that the Feds have done a particularly bad job in managing hunting, in Texas, it's that you can't trust them. Your interests may be aligned today, BUT that can change in a second. Then, they are too big to influence.

It simply baffles me of the folks that are willing to give up state sovereignty.

Comment

Originally posted by Txcatsailor01 View Post
        That in no way is a vote of confidence in the Federal Government.

It's not that the Feds have done a particularly bad job in managing hunting, in Texas, it's that you can't trust them. Your interests may be aligned today, BUT that can change in a second. Then, they are too big to influence.

It simply baffles me of the folks that are willing to give up state sovereignty.
        Yeah your right, the state is more trustworthy They all are politicians right

Comment

Yeah your right, the state is more trustworthy They all are politicians right
          Yes, they are ALL politicians. And the closer they are to their constituency, the more reliable they are.

How I see it, TPWD commission meetings are readily posted and easy to attend if you have a beef and you can be offered a speaking opportunity.

Try that with the BLM or USDA and see how quick you pull your hair out.

Comment

This is not a states rights issue, like so many people want it to be. This is an issue of transferring land that we own to others and we don't get anything for it. Most states are by law required to manage their state owned land for the most profit, not for the benefit of the people in that state. That means states like Nevada will sell the land off, like they have done with millions of acres. That means states like Colorado will lease the land out and deny access to all but the lessor.

Also, many states don't have the budget to manage the land for something as common as fires. They literally don't have enough money the fires that are all too common and cause billions in damage every year. How do those fires get put out if states manage the land?

Public lands is one of the things that makes our country great. It is OURS to use and that is so much more than hunting. Camping, fishing, hiking, biking, backpacking, riding horses, the list goes on and on.I'm not willing to give that up for nothing. What exactly do we gain by giving the land away?

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
              I don't know what you are doing wrong but my son and I have been drawn for at least one hunt EVERY year we have applied.
              You've been very d@mn lucky!, years to come your chance to draw again will be slim, we've been applying for these youth draw hunts going on 5 years without a draw.

Comment

Yes, they are ALL politicians. And the closer they are to their constituency, the more reliable they are.

How I see it, TPWD commission meetings are readily posted and easy to attend if you have a beef and you can be offered a speaking opportunity.

Try that with the BLM or USDA and see how quick you pull your hair out.
                Public Comment is available at both the state and federal level when it comes to natural resources. I work with both groups and will say both are okay at times and frustrating at times. This issue really doesn't effect Texan's due to our lack of public lands. In those western states that are 75-90% public land the state already controls tag issuance and tag price. Which is another issue but due to the feds (taxpayers) owning the ground it makes it far more stable and open access for all. I don't want to see that change.

I think folks try to place current political climate/issues on all aspects of the Federal Government when in fact some divisions of the Federal Government serve a very good purpose and can function as they were intended.

I just hope that we can look past the political crap and remember that public lands are good for all Americans. If you have not hunted western public land I suggest you do, it can be very affordable and is amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                  This is not a states rights issue, like so many people want it to be. This is an issue of transferring land that we own to others and we don't get anything for it. Most states are by law required to manage their state owned land for the most profit, not for the benefit of the people in that state. That means states like Nevada will sell the land off, like they have done with millions of acres. That means states like Colorado will lease the land out and deny access to all but the lessor.

Also, many states don't have the budget to manage the land for something as common as fires. They literally don't have enough money the fires that are all too common and cause billions in damage every year. How do those fires get put out if states manage the land?

Public lands is one of the things that makes our country great. It is OURS to use and that is so much more than hunting. Camping, fishing, hiking, biking, backpacking, riding horses, the list goes on and on.I'm not willing to give that up for nothing. What exactly do we gain by giving the land away?

Comment

I think folks try to place current political climate/issues on all aspects of the Federal Government when in fact some divisions of the Federal Government serve a very good purpose and can function as they were intended.
                    Right on

Comment

This is not a states rights issue, like so many people want it to be.This is an issue of transferring land that we own to others and we don't get anything for it.
                      Exactly.

Comment

I couldn't disagree more with your conclusion. Your premise is built upon the belief that if control of a national forest gets turned over to the state of Texas, that Greg Abbott will turn around and sell it to his hunting buddy for pennies on the dollar.
                        The reality is the mission of the TPWD is to: "To manage and conserve the natural and cultural resources of Texas and to provide hunting, fishing and outdoor recreation opportunities for the use and enjoyment of present and future generations." IMO they have a clearer and more precise mission than the USFS. And, it's alot easier, as a hunter, to effect change at the state level vs. the federal level.
                        From what I read, the biggest issue expressed is the size of budget allocated to TPWD land management. We are just one economic downturn(nationally) from that being reversed between TX and the Fed.
                        Is the TPWD perfect, of course not! I don't have experience with other state's policies, but I trust the Texas state government over the Fed's any day of the week.

I'm going to let this go now, but I feel pity for the folks that think the Federal government is their savior.

Comment

I'm going to let this go now, but I feel pity for the folks that think the Federal government is their savior.
                          This sums it up. ^^^^

We (the people) have way more influence on Greg abbott and our local representatives then we ever will at a federal level.

Comment

All about greed in the end

Comment

Texas has the worst access to public land around. Sure they offer some hunting, camping..... but it is all extreamly limited to only on this small section of the property. Or only offering 3 days for an archery hunt on a piece of property you are not allowed to step foot on any other time for scouting, hiking, camping..... While other states let you draw a tag and gives you an entire season to hunt, on top of being able scout, camp, hike, fish...... Texas does just enough to let people think they have access and get to use our land, but other than the very limited access Texas is the worst at limiting access to public land. Just look around at how the federal land around the state lets people use there land. Sam Houston, big thicket, anahuac.... wildlife refuges/national forest, And compare it to the state wildlife management units.

Comment

deffinately need to all stick togeather on this one !

Comment

Working...
                                X