No announcement yet.

Amistad NRA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was hunting out there one day and was watching a nice heavy horned 8 close the distance. When he got 30yds from me I started to draw and heard a noise to my left, the deer took off and a kid comes walking up and said "I'm sorry, I'll bring him back" and walked off. The kid was about 13 years old didn't have a bow and was wearing normal clothes. I was sitting there thinking of how close I had come and at the same time thinking that kid must be mentally challenged or something. I'll be damed if that buck didn't come running right past me 20 min latter. Didn't get a shot off, but then I was thinking DAMMM that kids good.

Comment

I think we are planning a trip Nov 15 weekend. Probably make a 4 day weekend out of it.

So keep the reports coming.....

Comment

Sounds like folks are having a good time out there! Area 5...now this is an area that you need a great pair of hikers/boots or a boat you can ground in one of the coves. Probably the biggest deer I have ever seen was in San Pedro Estates on the west side of the area...probably a 160-170 class mature 6.5 deer. There is a plethora of deer in this area but the multitudes of hunters always drives them away from the highway...go figure as this is where the two gates are. But, if you have a boat you can go ground in the coves farther back and get into some really great areas. And, in the beginning of the hunting year the mouflon will be in the back and then migrate to the front toward January/February. There are black buck in the area as well as some hogs.
        Last edited by Frederick D. Be; 10-12-2014, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Just got back yesterday from a quick hunt. Had some business in the area. It's really green and a tad warm during the afternoon. Deer look good and have plenty of cover.

Comment

What's the lake level like this year?

Comment

Went out again today looking for the mouflon ....walked all the way to the back of 5 didn't see one hunter or any animals not one .... O we'll can't Kill them on the couch.....

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                You the guy with the pontoon boat that comes out with like 12 people? If so please let me know when you go so I can hunt elsewhere LOL. :-).
                Just saw this.... No not me in the pontoon. Never been more than just 2 of use.

Comment

Originally posted by VictorG830 View Post
                  Went out again today looking for the mouflon ....walked all the way to the back of 5 didn't see one hunter or any animals not one .... O we'll can't Kill them on the couch.....
                  Just heard today a lot of the mouflon are feeding on the west side of the San Pedro neighborhood area. There is a large flat that is really green like most of the lake area and being graced by a lot of the mouflon. No one to disturb them out there but sooner or later they will be back in five in large numbers...

Comment

when do the bucks go into rut around Amistad

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunt3 View Post
                      when do the bucks go into rut around Amistad
                      Bucks will start moving really good in mid November. Mid Nov through the 3rd week in Dec is usually really good. And that depends on the weather too.

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
                        Just saw this.... No not me in the pontoon. Never been more than just 2 of use.
                        Dangit, I gotta find that guy and coordinate with him lol.

We had a couple trips where every cove had a guy in it. That wasn't just the pontoon guy though that was him and a few other boats but I'm thinking they all might travel together. That trip I dropped my wife off, then moved to 3 other spots and parked the boat and hopped out at 3 different coves and walked up on guys, only one hit the flashlight at me before I got out of the boat, the others waited until I walked in and got right up on them. I ended up just going fishing as the sun was starting to come up by that time and I didn't want to ruin any more hunts. I did catch 3 nice Bass.

We went down this weekend to scout out some walk in areas. I like the terrain in Area 1, but only saw one deer each hunt and not a lot of trails and sign. One small bodied forkhorn I had at 20 yards but he was really young, I stared at him for a full minute or so trying to decide to thwack him or not and he looked up and took off so I'm claiming I passed him up. We were gonna scout Area 2 as well but never made it up there.
                        Last edited by justletmein; 10-20-2014, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info taking my daughter hopefully she can sling an arrow

Comment

Thanks for the info. We will be going nov 14 and we will be hunting area 4 if the weather permits.

Comment

anyone been out hunting??
                              Last edited by yanta61; 10-28-2014, 01:03 PM.

Comment

The more the merrier!
                                If I didn't know better, I'd say you don't actually hunt the place but rather are trying to lure as many folks out there as you can.

I for one am not a fan of spewing out details about already-crowded public land that USED to be worth hunting.

Comment

Working...
                                X