Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely helps, thanks.

Comment

Well Meredith is definitely a hard hunt. After walking 30+ miles fully loaded with packs and rifles from Friday evening to Sunday morning, this is our reward from our hard work...This is a buddy of mine (new to the greenscreen barichy22) shooting his second deer ever at 285 yards and dropped her instantly. He actually just started hunting I believe a year ago so it made this hunt all the better. It was our second time hunting public land and we hunted it western style, spotting and stalking the entire weekend (hence the 30+ miles, killer on the legs). We had fresh backstrap that night and by the end of the weekend, we were exhausted but had a blast! I'll be up first on the trigger next time. Till next time Meredith!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by TxCreedXs; 11-21-2016, 05:41 PM.

Comment

I'm back in Devil's Canyon today. Didn't get in to my spot till noon. Had whitetail doe come out and walk to within 220 yards.
        The wind was nothing when I got here but it's about 25 mph now.

I'm really looking for mule deer but I can watch the river bottom from where I'm at, do a whitetail ain't out of the question.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fishanhunt View Post
          I'm back in Devil's Canyon today. Didn't get in to my spot till noon. Had whitetail doe come out and walk to within 220 yards.
          The wind was nothing when I got here but it's about 25 mph now.

I'm really looking for mule deer but I can watch the river bottom from where I'm at, do a whitetail ain't out of the question.

Comment

Not sure why it double posted or why crapatalk always turns my pictures sideways.

Comment

Comment

Me and a few other TBHers leased the ranch that has Devil's Canyon on it the last few years. We're not on it this year. Deer numbers were way down from where they were before the drought. We managed to kill a couple decent mule deer, but they were few and far between. Whitetail were even more scarce.

Comment

I've seen more whitetail this year than mule deer but I haven't hunted here much this year. This is my first hunt in Devil's Canyon in probably 10 years or more.

Which ranch did you lease Shane. I was thinking Kritser but maybe not.

Comment

I've seen more whitetail this year than mule deer but I haven't hunted here much this year. This is my first hunt in Devil's Canyon in probably 10 years or more.

Which ranch did you lease Shane. I was thinking Kritser but maybe not.

Kiser.

Yeah, the river has more whitetails than the canyons on private.

Comment

The Kiser is farther north than Kritsers. I think the Kiser have what was once Bud Crawford Ranch.

Do they still lease it?

Comment

The Kiser is farther north than Kritsers. I think the Kiser have what was once Bud Crawford Ranch.

Do they still lease it?

Yeah, it's the Crawford. Another group has it leased.

Comment

We saw more deer in the upper parts of Big Canyon than we did in Devil's Canyon. It's a longer hike from Plum Creek campgrounds though, and I don't know if the public lower end of Big Canyon is any better than Devil's or not.

Comment

We tried a few shotgun/archery areas, but only saw one big Mulie doe and a few coveys of quail. Ran into 9 groups of bird hunters by the end of the day. Most areas had a ton of fresh tracks/scat so I'm not sure if they had moved to a different area or we were just doing a poor job of looking for them.

Comment

We went back out tonight and hunted Saddlehorse Canyon. My buddy shot a little whitetail that had 4 on one side and just a tall spike on the other. I shot a whitetail doe. I saw 5 mule deer does and a fork horn muley.

Comment

I shot a10pt WT that went 136in there a few yrs ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X