Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legal trailer weight/ 3/4 ton Truck TX??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal trailer weight/ 3/4 ton Truck TX??

How much weight can I legally haul on a trailer in Tx?
    I have a regular class C license (actually I have a class B and M, but I know those don't help me with the trailer).
    My truck is a 3/4 ton.
    Assuming that I am not putting more weight on the trailer than it is rated for.
    Thanks.

Depends on your truck. Each is rated differently. Each hitch is rated differently. You have to stay with payload capacity of your truck, trucks tow rating, and trailer ratings all at the same time. Payload is usually your limiting factor. They’ll also be rated differently for goosenecks and bumper pull.

Comment

It's a 2001 Chevy duramax and allison.
      Gooseneck trailer.
      Where do I find that info?
      Yeah, friend of mine got a ticket because everything didn't "match" up.

Comment

With that license, Gross weight of 26,000lb and below.

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
          With that license, Gross weight of 26,000lb and below.
          That's what I thought, but the reg. states farm trailer.
          Was just making sure the trailer doesn’t have to have farm plates??

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
            That's what I thought, but the reg. states farm trailer.
            Was just making sure the trailer doesn’t have to have farm plates??
            Can you post what your referring to?

Comment

To the best of my knowledge the old farm exemptions are gone. Anything in combination needs to be under the 26k mark. If you are worried about a DOT inspection I'd make sure you are legal on your axles and tire weight ratings too. I've gotten that ticket before...

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
                Can you post what your referring to?
                Oops, nevermind that was under the class b.

Comment

Originally posted by grassmaster View Post
                  To the best of my knowledge the old farm exemptions are gone. Anything in combination needs to be under the 26k mark. If you are worried about a DOT inspection I'd make sure you are legal on your axles and tire weight ratings too. I've gotten that ticket before...
                  I'm worried about a DPS trooper inspection.
                  From what I have found my truck can legally only pull 15,000 lbs.
                  Last edited by bukkskin; 06-12-2018, 10:21 PM.

Comment

For you, u have to go by the gross the truck and trailer are allowed to haul total. Dont fo by your class b because your rig isnt allowed to haul that much weight. If u over load it and get stopped by a trooper, he will have a field day with u.

Comment

If it was a Dodge what ever you want because they only pull ghost Trailers.

Comment

It's a 2001 Chevy duramax and allison.
                        Gooseneck trailer.
                        Where do I find that info?
                        Yeah, friend of mine got a ticket because everything didn't "match" up.
                        Every truck is different based on configuration, even when the same models. I’ve heard mentioned that a dealer can look it up by VIN, but I’m not sure how accurate that is. My first spot to check would be the inside of the door panel. It will have payload capacity for sure, but not sure if it’ll have trailer weight.

Comment

I'm worried about a DPS trooper inspection.
                          From what I have found my truck can legally only pull 15,000 lbs.
                          That seems a little optimistic for an 01 2500. It may be correct, but I really wouldn’t expect more than 13,000. I’d be sure to find out before pushing it.

Comment

this thread got me thinking about the travel trailer in the classifieds. It's just ridiculous that anybody can pull around 20,000lb travel trailers with a very high profile, yet we have to sweat what size trailer we can pull, even empty, behind our pickups without a CDL......they must have one heck of a lobby........

Comment

Look inside your driver side door panel. There should be a sticker for your specific truck configuration showing gross vehicle weight. For your truck, I'd venture to say your max trailer weight is going to be somewhere around 11 to 13000 lb.

What is utterly ridiculous is American Tax paying citizens getting tickets for being slightly overweight yet I constantly see Mexicans that are Towing 2 vehicles behind a minivan, all of which they just bought at auction. I'd like to know how many of them get stopped by DPS.

Comment

Working...
                              X