Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2018, 08:10 PM   #1
txpitdog
Pope & Young
 
txpitdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kingwood
Hunt In: Polk Co., TX & La Flore Co., OK
Default My friend just took off for Everest

I hit a buddy of mine up today to see about going to shoot some clays and he said he wouldnít be able to until next month. With kids and work that didnít surprise me, but then he says heís going to Tibet. I know what time of year this is in Tibet so I asked if he was going to Everest and he said yes! What the heck?! You donít just take off to freakin Everest without telling folks! Iím excited for him, I would definitely like to check it out some day. I think he is only going to Base Camp with an opportunity to try for Camp 1 or something, but I bet he tries for the summit in a future trip. Iíve read enough about it to know it gets in your blood and you canít think about anything else. Crazy. I will post pics if he sends me any.
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2018, 08:12 PM   #2
blood-sport
Six Point
 
blood-sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Katy, Texas
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpitdog View Post
I hit a buddy of mine up today to see about going to shoot some clays and he said he wouldnít be able to until next month. With kids and work that didnít surprise me, but then he says heís going to Tibet. I know what time of year this is in Tibet so I asked if he was going to Everest and he said yes! What the heck?! You donít just take off to freakin Everest without telling folks! Iím excited for him, I would definitely like to check it out some day. I think he is only going to Base Camp with an opportunity to try for Camp 1 or something, but I bet he tries for the summit in a future trip. Iíve read enough about it to know it gets in your blood and you canít think about anything else. Crazy. I will post pics if he sends me any.


Best of luck to your buddy, Iíll be following along. Keep us posted !!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blood-sport is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2018, 08:30 PM   #3
texan16
Ten Point
 
texan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fairfield
Hunt In: Freestone/Schleicher Counties
Default

That is crazy stuff. Way cool, but crazy !!!!!
texan16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2018, 08:33 PM   #4
Quackerbox
Pope & Young
 
Quackerbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: The woods
Default

Sweet!!

I'm fascinated with that mountain but have no thought on a summit. A summit takes SERIOUS coin

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2018, 09:27 PM   #5
BTLowry
Pope & Young
 
BTLowry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lindale
Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5
Default

I have no desire to risk my life climbing a frozen mountain

But I appreciate the will and determination of those that do

Good luck and safe travels to your friend
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2018, 09:36 PM   #6
gatt40
Ten Point
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas
Hunt In: San Patricio, Mountain Home & wherever
Default

Wish him the best. I have hard enough time climbing the stairs in my house.
gatt40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2018, 09:57 PM   #7
SwampRanger
Ten Point
 
SwampRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 3rd Coast
Hunt In: Batson, Gulf Coast, Wyoming....
Default

Very cool
SwampRanger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2018, 06:24 AM   #8
Texastaxi
Pope & Young
 
Texastaxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: West of Houston
Hunt In: now accepting invitations!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
I'm fascinated with that mountain but have no thought on a summit. A summit takes SERIOUS coin
I'm with you on that!
A while back, I was infatuated with Everest. I read at least a dozen books, mostly about the tragedy of 1996.
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2018, 08:19 AM   #9
Jamesl
Ten Point
 
Jamesl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: League City
Hunt In: Texas, Colorado, New Mexico
Default

Good for him. I never climb a mountain, just to climb a mountain. Got to have a bow in hand, and a target animal to get me up a mountain. Come on September!
Jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2018, 08:25 AM   #10
Jamesl
Ten Point
 
Jamesl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: League City
Hunt In: Texas, Colorado, New Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastaxi View Post
I'm with you on that!
A while back, I was infatuated with Everest. I read at least a dozen books, mostly about the tragedy of 1996.
I watched the movie. No way Jose!
Jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2018, 08:50 AM   #11
Texastaxi
Pope & Young
 
Texastaxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: West of Houston
Hunt In: now accepting invitations!
Default

I just read on Facebook, that one of my high school friends (two years older than me) is making the trek to basecamp as well. SHE was in the Air Force for a long time, did all kinds of stuff that women don't normally do ... now she's going to Everest!

Godspeed, Leanne Drozd!
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2018, 09:04 AM   #12
hog_down
Six Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Houston, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
A summit takes SERIOUS coin
I've always wondered, how much are we talking? I can guess travel, payment of the sherpas/guides, clothing, etc.
hog_down is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2018, 09:06 AM   #13
txpitdog
Pope & Young
 
txpitdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kingwood
Hunt In: Polk Co., TX & La Flore Co., OK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hog_down View Post
I've always wondered, how much are we talking? I can guess travel, payment of the sherpas/guides, clothing, etc.


I believe it is $60-100k for a summit attempt


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2018, 09:10 AM   #14
Quackerbox
Pope & Young
 
Quackerbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: The woods
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hog_down View Post
I've always wondered, how much are we talking? I can guess travel, payment of the sherpas/guides, clothing, etc.
Like 80k for a summit and 10-15 just for camp 2

4600 for base camp alone

https://www.alpineascents.com/treks/...UaAs7REALw_wcB

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2018, 09:12 AM   #15
Landrover
Pope & Young
 
Landrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Default

Now that is dang kewl!!! I aint mad at him at all........live your life sir!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesl View Post
Good for him. I never climb a mountain, just to climb a mountain. Got to have a bow in hand, and a target animal to get me up a mountain. Come on September!
I am 99% on that page also.....(New Zealand in 60 days).......except Mt. Kilimanjaro! That one might get hiked some day in the future.
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2018, 09:12 AM   #16
elgato
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default

He will have an experience he will never forget. I have been to Everest from the Nepal side. Did the same hike as in "Into Thin Air". Climbed a mountain on the other side of the river from Everest called Kala Patar [ I think that spelling. Been a few years }

I have aways been interested in going back via Tibet plus a number of other countries in the area but alas its pretty intense and best suited to the young.
elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2018, 09:25 AM   #17
BitBackShot
Eight Point
 
BitBackShot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Houston, TX
Hunt In: Llano County
Default

That stuff is no joke. My brother did McKinley a few years back, and 1 guy in his party lost a couple of fingers to frostbite. A few weeks later, a Japanese expedition was completely wiped out by an avalanche in a route everyone takes.

Even if you're the absolute best climber on Planet Earth, there is still a huge amount of risk you simply cannot manage. The mortality rate on world-class climbers is incredibly high.

But hats off to those that have that as a life goal and actually do it. Not for me.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2018, 09:26 AM   #18
flywise
Pope & Young
 
flywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kempner,Tx
Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default

That would be an awesome adventure. Base camp would be far enough for me. Don't care to spend 100k to risk life and limb. But that country would certainly be worth the trip
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2018, 09:44 AM   #19
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor
 
Cajun Blake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SW Louisiana
Hunt In: public & pvt land
Default

Great read about a guy from NOLA who climbed Everest in 2012.

Sherpa took off with his oxygen, goggles fogged up causing him to go blind, and his climbing partner died 150 ft before the summit.

http://www.myneworleans.com/New-Orle...th-of-Everest/
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2018, 09:47 AM   #20
HC Sniper
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Abilene
Hunt In: Fisher county
Default

Good luck to your friend. I will be praying for his safety.
HC Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2018, 10:23 AM   #21
Throwin' Darts
Ten Point
 
Throwin' Darts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato View Post
He will have an experience he will never forget. I have been to Everest from the Nepal side. Did the same hike as in "Into Thin Air". Climbed a mountain on the other side of the river from Everest called Kala Patar [ I think that spelling. Been a few years }

I have aways been interested in going back via Tibet plus a number of other countries in the area but alas its pretty intense and best suited to the young.
The legend of El Gato grows. You sir seem to have lived a great life filled with adventures and big bucks. You're "a year in the life of the farm" thread is the best on TBH.
Throwin' Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2018, 10:25 AM   #22
jshouse
Pope & Young
 
jshouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rockwall
Hunt In: NE Texas
Default

good luck to him, will be back for updates
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2018, 03:57 PM   #23
Jamesl
Ten Point
 
Jamesl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: League City
Hunt In: Texas, Colorado, New Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Blake View Post
Great read about a guy from NOLA who climbed Everest in 2012.

Sherpa took off with his oxygen, goggles fogged up causing him to go blind, and his climbing partner died 150 ft before the summit.

http://www.myneworleans.com/New-Orle...th-of-Everest/
Very interesting read, thanks for sharing.
Jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 11:01 AM   #24
Landrover
Pope & Young
 
Landrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Question

How did his trip turn out???
I just got this email from Global Rescue and it reminded me of this thread.
https://vimeo.com/272755420?_cldee=b...3-005056b04ad6
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 12:14 PM   #25
ladrones
Pope & Young
 
ladrones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NM
Default

I always wondered what they do with all the garbage that the event generates.
ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 01:11 PM   #26
ccbluewater
Six Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Cypress
Hunt In: Freer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Blake View Post
Great read about a guy from NOLA who climbed Everest in 2012.

Sherpa took off with his oxygen, goggles fogged up causing him to go blind, and his climbing partner died 150 ft before the summit.

http://www.myneworleans.com/New-Orle...th-of-Everest/
Wow, that is a crazy story! I may have to read more into the Everest stories!
ccbluewater is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 01:28 PM   #27
Quickstand
Four Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post
I have no desire to risk my life climbing a frozen mountain

But I appreciate the will and determination of those that do

Good luck and safe travels to your friend
X2
Quickstand is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 01:35 PM   #28
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young
 
CastAndBlast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Hunt In: Liberty Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpitdog View Post
I hit a buddy of mine up today to see about going to shoot some clays and he said he wouldnít be able to until next month. With kids and work that didnít surprise me, but then he says heís going to Tibet. I know what time of year this is in Tibet so I asked if he was going to Everest and he said yes! What the heck?! You donít just take off to freakin Everest without telling folks! Iím excited for him, I would definitely like to check it out some day. I think he is only going to Base Camp with an opportunity to try for Camp 1 or something, but I bet he tries for the summit in a future trip. Iíve read enough about it to know it gets in your blood and you canít think about anything else. Crazy. I will post pics if he sends me any.


He has to be back by now!!! Come on with the pics or story at least!
CastAndBlast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 01:37 PM   #29
Duckologist
Four Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Default

I once climbed Mt. Driskill. It was way cheaper than Everest and close enough.
Duckologist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 01:41 PM   #30
PYBUCK
Ten Point
 
PYBUCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rankin, Tx
Hunt In: Upton County
Default

Got a friend that is going too. Probably the same friend you have. Can't be that many going to climb everest.
PYBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 01:50 PM   #31
Wellborn Papa
Four Point
 
Wellborn Papa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Wellborn
Hunt In: Anywhere I can.
Default

My buddies and I climbed to the top of Yegua Knobbs one night coon hunting. Treed a coon right on top.
Wellborn Papa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 02:01 PM   #32
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor
 
Cajun Blake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SW Louisiana
Hunt In: public & pvt land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYBUCK View Post
Got a friend that is going too. Probably the same friend you have. Can't be that many going to climb everest.
Approx. 800 people attempt to climb Everest each year and around 400 reach the summit ... success rate is roughly 50% in recent years. Between 5-10 die annually. Cost is $50,000 +/- a few thousand.
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 02:16 PM   #33
be12hunt
Ten Point
 
be12hunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Lake Jackson, TX
Hunt In: Montell, TX
Default

That’s awesome. In for some kind of an update
be12hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 02:17 PM   #34
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Blake View Post
Approx. 800 people attempt to climb Everest each year and around 400 reach the summit ... success rate is roughly 50% in recent years. Between 5-10 die annually. Cost is $50,000 +/- a few thousand.

Heard a guest speaker that climbed Everest and he said that his expedition group cost Over 100K. I guess it varies but thats a lot of money to freeze your tail off.
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 02:42 PM   #35
txpitdog
Pope & Young
 
txpitdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kingwood
Hunt In: Polk Co., TX & La Flore Co., OK
Default

Totally forgot to update the post. He said the mountain is incredible, beyond words. He said he never understood how the people who lived in the region considered it a god, but after going he totally gets it. He did go to base camp, but the traffic on Everest has gotten so much that they have segregated the base camp area so that summit expeditions are kept separate from the general access area.

Apparently Kathmandu is a complete crap hole. He didnít like it and didnít explore it much. They visited several monasteries and went into the lowlands and also hiked through the jungle.

They had to smuggle BOOKS in certain areas, because they went into Tibet, which is controlled by China. Several of the tour guides and books they brought with them were forbidden in China, so they would stop before getting to a checkpoint and hide them.
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 02:48 PM   #36
txgb
Six Point
 
txgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Edwards County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladrones View Post
I always wondered what they do with all the garbage that the event generates.

I believe most of it is hauled out especially with the commercial expeditions wanting the base camp to be presentable for clients.

Now, up on the mountain and higher camps could be a different story especially with empty oxygen bottles


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txgb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 03:57 PM   #37
WCB
Pope & Young
 
WCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dallas
Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladrones View Post
I always wondered what they do with all the garbage that the event generates.
They leave the dead people so I bet there's a ton of trash up there...
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #38
Pkripper
Ten Point
 
Pkripper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Dallas
Hunt In: East Texas Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgb View Post
I believe most of it is hauled out especially with the commercial expeditions wanting the base camp to be presentable for clients.

Now, up on the mountain and higher camps could be a different story especially with empty oxygen bottles


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Base camp is covered in feces and the upper mountain is covered in trash and bodies. Everry couple of years they do a big cleanup but there is only so much you cam do. There are bodies that you literally step over on the way up. Cost is much cheaper than several years ago but it is an absolute circus. The time to climb it was before into thin air. Huge difference between climbing Everest and walking to base camp.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Pkripper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 05:02 PM   #39
Landrover
Pope & Young
 
Landrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpitdog View Post
Totally forgot to update the post. He said the mountain is incredible, beyond words. He said he never understood how the people who lived in the region considered it a god, but after going he totally gets it. He did go to base camp, but the traffic on Everest has gotten so much that they have segregated the base camp area so that summit expeditions are kept separate from the general access area.

Apparently Kathmandu is a complete crap hole. He didnít like it and didnít explore it much. They visited several monasteries and went into the lowlands and also hiked through the jungle.

They had to smuggle BOOKS in certain areas, because they went into Tibet, which is controlled by China. Several of the tour guides and books they brought with them were forbidden in China, so they would stop before getting to a checkpoint and hide them.
Thx for the update! Glad to hear he and the team made it back safely. I keep Global Rescue but thank goodness have never needed them. Just 75 miles from home and it can be used...ÖÖ.perfect for the deer lease!
Our SCI Chapter President had his live saved by Global Rescue!!!!
https://vimeo.com/183359718/362cf22770
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 05:10 PM   #40
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young
 
Drycreek3189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default

My daddy told me not to get any lower than diggin taters and no higher than pickin corn
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 09:46 AM   #41
ranchdog
Ten Point
 
ranchdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Richmond, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post
I have no desire to risk my life climbing a frozen mountain

But I appreciate the will and determination of those that do

Good luck and safe travels to your friend
Exactly, X2
ranchdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 10:16 AM   #42
Chew
Pope & Young
 
Chew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kingwood, TX
Hunt In: Leon County
Default

Was it Mark Johnson? (Chunky on TBH). He was doing the same thing.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 10:38 AM   #43
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor
 
Cajun Blake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SW Louisiana
Hunt In: public & pvt land
Default

one of the most famous gravesites ... Green Boots
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 10:55 AM   #44
Chunky
Pope & Young
 
Chunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Splendora
Default

It wasnít me, but I just returned from a month in Nepal. 19 hiking days, covered about 160 miles, made it to Everest Base Camp and climbed Kala Patthar. My total cost for the month, guided, air, gear and all... was about 4500. You can do a trek half as long and for half the price and still do EBC and KP.
Chunky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 11:02 AM   #45
BrianL
Pope & Young
 
BrianL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: TX
Hunt In: TX
Default

....

When they get the ski lift installed I might think about it.

Last edited by BrianL; 06-14-2018 at 11:15 AM.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 11:16 AM   #46
Chunky
Pope & Young
 
Chunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Splendora
Default

All the bodies are really high, like above 25 K. You donít see those going to base camp. They think the Green Boots person was a male climber from India. The valley with all the memorials was very moving. I saw the one of the young man from Dallas.
Chunky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 11:21 AM   #47
Chunky
Pope & Young
 
Chunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Splendora
Default

Chunky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 12:10 PM   #48
WCB
Pope & Young
 
WCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dallas
Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
My daddy told me not to get any lower than diggin taters and no higher than pickin corn
Words to live by...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky View Post
Cool pics Mark!!
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 02:13 PM   #49
Chunky
Pope & Young
 
Chunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Splendora
Default

If anyone decides to adventure in that part of the world. I would be happy to give contacts and advice.
Chunky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 10:44 PM   #50
jnd1959
Spike
 
Join Date: May 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitBackShot View Post
That stuff is no joke. My brother did McKinley a few years back, and 1 guy in his party lost a couple of fingers to frostbite. A few weeks later, a Japanese expedition was completely wiped out by an avalanche in a route everyone takes.

Even if you're the absolute best climber on Planet Earth, there is still a huge amount of risk you simply cannot manage. The mortality rate on world-class climbers is incredibly high.

But hats off to those that have that as a life goal and actually do it. Not for me.
My observation is McKinley/Danali is a much harder climb than Everest because you have to pack your own stuff. By the time you've summited you've climbed it three times. Neither appear to be technically difficult. I looked at both very seriously but as I have gotten older I've started getting wonky at elevation so I will limit to 14ers, assuming I get back in shape.

Hope your friend had a good experience.
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com