Career Change/ Firefighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Career Change/ Firefighter

I have been working in the aviation field for the last 5 years and im ready for a career change and become a firefighter. I began my school for this 6 years ago but never finished, I already have my EMT-B i just have to do some CE and retest to get it current.
    Any tips from anyone that has done this before?
    I am 25 right now so i have enough time to get hired before im to old.
    I plan on starting fire academy this summer and finish my fire science degree in 2021

Originally posted by RW2016 View Post
    I have been working in the aviation field for the last 5 years and im ready for a career change and become a firefighter. I began my school for this 6 years ago but never finished, I already have my EMT-B i just have to do some CE and retest to get it current.

Any tips from anyone that has done this before?

I am 25 right now so i have enough time to get hired before im to old.

I plan on starting fire academy this summer and finish my fire science degree in 2021
    Where do you live?

Have you gone to fire school?

In what geographical area do you want to work in?
    -find out the requirements for these departments and eet them.
    -contact these departments and see when they are hiring.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I just switched my career, i got my conditional offer and will be starting fire school the first week of April.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Im in the dfw area, I havent gone to fire school yet, ill be starting this summer after I get my EMT current

Comment

Originally posted by RW2016 View Post
        Im in the dfw area, I havent gone to fire school yet, ill be starting this summer after I get my EMT current
        Look at who is hiring now, i think longview is hiring. Some places dont require you to have a cert and will send you to get it. Start applying NOW (like today). Once you get approved to test with a department find out what kind of test they use and study. There are a lot of good paying departments up there. Look on indeed and the TCFP job posting page.

Comment

Visit https://www.tcfp.texas.gov/tcfp-careers

You can start applying to departments now that don’t require ANY certifications and they’ll send you to school for everything. You just have to put in the time to find out the civil service departments that don’t require certs.

You’re still young enough. I became a FF/P when I was 26 and only regret is I didn’t start sooner (and to lift with my legs).

Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by NannySlayer View Post

You can start applying to departments now that don’t require ANY certifications and they’ll send you to school for everything. You just have to put in the time to find out the civil service departments that don’t require certs.

You’re still young enough. I became a FF/P when I was 26 and only regret is I didn’t start sooner (and to lift with my legs).

Good luck!!

Correction: the website for current departments hiring is https://www.tcfp.texas.gov/jobs

Comment

Good luck!!

Im 34 lol..plenty of time!!!

Comment

Fort Worth hires with no certs and currently physical fitness test is so easy nobody fails

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
                  Fort Worth hires with no certs and currently physical fitness test is so easy nobody fails
                  But, likely have 2000 rest for 5 spots.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                    But, likely have 2000 rest for 5 spots.
                    They hired a couple hundred off current list

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
                      They hired a couple hundred off current list
                      That’s not the norm.

Comment

Never have had a class of 5, 30-50 is the norm

Comment

Denton is hiring 15-18. We had 175 apply and only 38 show up for the exam.

Gotta be FF/P though. And already zoned land for Stations 9, 10, and 11!

Comment

Denton is hiring 15-18. We had 175 apply and only 38 show up for the exam.

Gotta be FF/P though. And already zoned land for Stations 9, 10, and 11!

This is why Richardson went back to regular hires and a rookie school

Comment

If you have a pulse, we will hire you in Houston now.

Comment

Working...
                              X