Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-01-2016, 10:21 PM   #51
Gbird
Ten Point

Hunt In: Robertson & Polk Counties

I have about six years left. I'm thinking about either arson investigator or computer forensics. I have a buddy who owns/runs his own company who does the computer thing and said I could have a job. Best news is that I'll only be in my mid 40's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gbird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 12:44 AM   #52
Mr Sid
Six Point

I retired over six years ago from Corrections, same clientele - just post conviction. I work in my yard, work in my shop, woodworking, knife making, rebuilding my old mowers. I bring my grandkids to school, man I don't have time for another career. I don't know how I ever had time for a job.

Mr. Sid
Mr Sid is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 03:10 AM   #53
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

5 years to go before I become eligible but already planning on what I will do. It would be mandatory in 12 years but I don't plan to stick around that long. If I can manage the finances well enough to be a bum I will do that. There are a lot of waters I want to fish and a lot of arrows I want to fling. Best of luck with your future endeavors.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 06:40 AM   #54
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sid View Post
I retired over six years ago from Corrections, same clientele - just post conviction. I work in my yard, work in my shop, woodworking, knife making, rebuilding my old mowers. I bring my grandkids to school, man I don't have time for another career. I don't know how I ever had time for a job.

Mr. Sid
That sounds perfect.

Nos narro pro silentium
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 06:58 AM   #55
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

I hope I don't have to work when I can finally leave but I know I have expensive habits. As of right now I'm hoping all the schools and training my current assignment is getting me will pay off later.

One thing I don't want is 2 or 3 subpoenas a month after retirement
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 07:24 AM   #56
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
I hope I don't have to work when I can finally leave but I know I have expensive habits. As of right now I'm hoping all the schools and training my current assignment is getting me will pay off later.

One thing I don't want is 2 or 3 subpoenas a month after retirement
That's what I'm worried about. The cases I work take forever to go to to trial. I'm on the stand for 2 or 3 days minimum. Since I'm gonna look like a homeless bum, the Juries may be afraid of me.

Nos narro pro silentium
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 07:29 AM   #57
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
That's what I'm worried about. The cases I work take forever to go to to trial. I'm on the stand for 2 or 3 days minimum. Since I'm gonna look like a homeless bum, the Juries may be afraid of me.

Nos narro pro silentium
And here I was thinking I'd have you drop my name in the hat as your protege and future replacement when you got more serious about leaving.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:53 AM   #58
crxshooter
Four Point

Hunt In: Our ranch and Kansas

38 years in. Moved to the ranch and everyday is saturday. Do a little volunteer mowing at the cemetery and build ramps for handicap folks. Drink really good whiskey, tinker weld and bow hunt them hogs. Oh yeah, did I mention the naps. Lots of naps.
crxshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 08:19 AM   #59
coy-ote
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit county

anybody have a job with a trucking company as a D.O.T. truck inspector, a few years ago while working a post I was approached by a couple of guys that were retired troopers and they were talking bout their retirement and that they both now worked for trucking companies doing D.O.T inspections on their fleet
coy-ote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 09:05 AM   #60
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy-ote View Post
anybody have a job with a trucking company as a D.O.T. truck inspector, a few years ago while working a post I was approached by a couple of guys that were retired troopers and they were talking bout their retirement and that they both now worked for trucking companies doing D.O.T inspections on their fleet
Spoke to one of our DOT guys and he claimed troopers had all that stuff sewed up in my neck of the woods. Our policy also states they can't do it off duty for extra money. Seems kinda stupid to me. No telling what they could stop before it hits the road
Old 06-02-2016, 09:16 AM   #61
big_smith
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady, Rocksprings, New Mexico

I did 21 years and was just tired. An opportunity came up at a Jr College for a full time law enforcement instructor. Best thing that has ever happened to me. My son just graduated highschool, and for the first time in his school life I had spring break off with the family. I get 2.5 weeks off at Christmas, all the regular holidays, plus 2.5 weeks of vacation. The absolute BEST part of the job is no on call. My phone does NOT ring after 5p or before 8am. With all the flooding, I did not have to sleep at the PD, wade through sewer water, get blamed for peoples misfortunes, etc. This is the best job I have EVER had in my life. I might actually live to be 80yoa after all.
big_smith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 09:19 AM   #62
Bisch
Pope & Young

I shoot my longbow a LOT!

I go to a LOT of 3D shoots.

I hunt every chance I can!

It don't get any better, and I don't know how I ever had time to go to work for the 30yrs I did!

Bisch
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 11:53 AM   #63
JP135
Ten Point

I retired at 25 yrs due to an injury. A brother officer who'd retired just before me hooked with up with a teaching job at a local college. When I got where I could get around and rehabbed to some degree, I hired on at a huge auto auction as their security manager - did that for five years. By then we really needed to get out of the metroplex and move to E Texas to be near my family due to my Dad's terminal illness. Drove trucks for a year or so hauling a huge mobile MRI unit all over Tx, Ok and La. Then bought myself a Peterbilt and hauled military freight for a couple of years. The local school district needed a police chief, so I applied. Been here four years now. They treat me good, so I keep coming back.

...and today is the last day of skool!!! So I'll be fishing and hog hunting for a couple of months!
JP135 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2016, 01:38 PM   #64
ptlmg
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dolores, Colorado and New Braunfels, Texas

I continued to fly after retiring as a flying LEO. Other LEOs applied to work as an LEO for an ISD Police Dept. More laid back and a good retirement gig from what i understand. Good luck and congrats on your up and coming retirement.
ptlmg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #65
coy-ote
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit county

Thanks for the input guys my boys are young and have only known me as a motorcycle police so it'll be different when I retire my youngest is going to kindergarten in the fall my oldest is starting the 3rd grade maybe I'll retire to a full time dad

coy-ote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2016, 05:46 PM   #66
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack/Young County

PI and serving subpoenas and other process. Didn't think I would ever work criminal defense but that is about 95% of my case load.

DFWPI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top