Help Me Get Started Welding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Me Get Started Welding

I'm wanting to learn to weld. Any advice on where to start in terms of equipment (I've heard I should look into a wire-feed unit).

My ultimate goal would be to tackle a task such as this feeder build (http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ad.php?t=87462)
    • What do I need to get started (complete newbie here so feel free to treat me like one)?
    • Where do you typically buy raw material and other supplies?
    • Any suggestion on good tutorial sites (in absence of some instructor-led training)

Thanks folks!

This youtube channel is a great resourcs https://www.youtube.com/user/weldingtipsandtricks

Comment

Tuned in I'm interested in getting started as well.

Comment

Honestly if you're wanting to start with a wire feed welder, id have to say start with flux core wire. It works in any welder, and. It'll let you get form down before you go any further. I personally prefer to use shielding gas on my larger welder but on my little 110 portable, it's flux core. You don't need a huge welder, the harbor freight ones aren't bad but personally I'm partial to my Lincoln. They make a good line of small 110 (house plug style) welders and I've done up to 1/4" plate with mine without a problem. I don't even know what they start at anymore. The one I have was ~$600 new, the ones that're ~$200-$300 are just as good.
        Raw material, just find a local metal yard. I don't know what there is in Keller, but absolutely under no circumstances buy from a place like Home Depot, lowes, or anything of that sort for metals. It's close to 3x the price. Grinding wheels, welding tips (cause everyone messes those up), and wire can all be bought at stores like Home Depot and lowes though without a problem. Be sure to always read wire size though, to make sure it's correct. That may sound self explanatory but typically the difference is around .005" and that's a pain to be off by so little.
        That's my $.02 on what I can give you right now! It really all depends what you want to spend on a machine.

Contact me if you have any questions, I can always try to help! I also come across machines for a good deal from time to time so I'll post up any leads if I have them!

Comment

When I first started started welding a friend told me about this website. I found it informative. http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/...ding-tips.html

Jeff

Comment

Honestly if you are going to get into welding buy right. Don't waste money on a Harbor Frieght welder. The Lincoln 140HD from Home Depot is a great start and great welder to have in a garage. Miller makes a nicer one where you don't even have to know how to adjust wire speed and amperage. If money is an issue look into Hobart. They can be found at Tractor Supply. Find a few like like and compare them. Look at run times. But now if you want a ****** multi purpose welder to learn Mig, Flux core, stick, and TIG at a great price look into the ESAB Rebel.

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm no pro by any means, but my HF is doing what I need around the house.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	0606151203-00.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	24439669

Click image for larger version

Name:	mailbox16.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	24439670

Comment

I was in the same boat and read a lot!!! I got a Hobart 140 and it's been great for the smaller projects I've done...that and youtube have gotten me through!haha

Comment

I learned on a torch welder and a cheap 120-volt wire feed welder (flux core wire). Recently purchased an Eastwood welder:

I can now use either flux core or use gas and regular wire, if it's not windy. I like the being able to use it in a 120-volt outlet and be able to use it in the shop or out in the field.
                  Last edited by bgleaton; 04-07-2016, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Having seen my goal project, what level of expertise do these welds require (beginner, intermediate, advanced)...just curious as to how far off something like this would be given practice? Keep the advice coming

Would the suggested welders meet the needs of this project? Suggestions Mig vs Stick for this project?

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ad.php?t=87462

Comment

Sethmac, for the money and you learning to weld I would suggest the Harbor Freight welder. I learned with it myself. You can get them on sale for $99. I have moved on to a Hobart welder but still use the HF. I am not in anyway a Harbor Freight fan but do think this unit will help you get started.
                      My other suggestion for you would be to go to a metal yard and get scrap metal to practice beads on before you start welding a project. Especially anything that is weight bearing. Youtube is your friend!!
                      My first project to build was a hunting blind on 5 ft. tower. It is not perfect but still stands today.
                      My biggest suggestion would be to use a face shield when using a grinder!! Bad stuff can happen.
                      Good luck and be safe!
                      hunter68

Comment

Any quality 110V will do the projects you want. If you really get into it you'll want to trade up but you'll always find a used for the little welder, especially around a lease.

If you want to burn rods we've got a few hundred feet of welds left on a bridge. Won't even charge you for the "lessons"

Comment

Check this guy out on YouTube, https://www.youtube.com/user/chucke2009

Comment

Subscribed. Welding is something I've always been impressed by.

Comment

I started learning on a HF $99.00 welder. It did what I wanted it to and i was just learning so I didn't want to spend a fortune. I now have a Northern Industrial Welder from Northern Tools. It is pretty nice, I haven't used it much yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X