Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 07-07-2017, 08:28 PM   #51
AgBass01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cuero, Brownwood

Tagged

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
AgBass01 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2017, 09:34 AM   #52
gonehuntin68
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria county

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsquared View Post
i just checked ours for fun, last year we were at 20 bucks and 30 does under MLD 3
the harvest estimator for junction put us at an estimated 38 bucks and 68 does...

i guess they want me to make up for all of the deer you guys cannot shoot

in all seriousness, this is based on deer densities for the area and in our case, we remedied that 8 years ago by getting under control.
we will stay on the conservation option and use our surveys to dictate the number of tags... there is no way on earth we could ever get to 68 does...

but, i do appreciate how easy the tool is to use... maybe they are moving in the right direction overall, even with a few initial hiccups.
Why go with conservation program when your getting more then enough tags with the harvest program? The conservation program will cause you more work and you don't have to fill all your tags you get with the harvest program so that means you can manage your deer harvest exactly the way you want to without any interference from a biologist who may or may not know what is right for your property.

It's my understanding that the harvest program is basically taking over for LAMPS and the Conservation Program is taking over for MLDP. If you were on MLDP before, you will more then likely want to go with the conservation program. If you were not on MLDP last year, you probably wont qualify for the conservation program because you more then likely haven't kept good enough records to get on the program this year since I believe they require 2 years of records of deer harvest, deer numbers and surveys. If I remember correctly you had to meet the same standards for MLDP 2 or 3 as you do for the new conservation program.
gonehuntin68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2017, 08:56 AM   #53
yotethumper
Nubbin' Buck

Harvest option is a no go for us. We would only get 2 antlerless tags.
yotethumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2017, 06:26 PM   #54
Stephenska
Four Point

Hunt In: Cass County

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotethumper View Post
Harvest option is a no go for us. We would only get 2 antlerless tags.

County and acres? I'm curious to see what people are getting for different sized tracts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Stephenska is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 08:05 PM   #55
aclark0495
Eight Point

Hunt In: Alto, Texas

Cherokee CTY 565 acres

1 buck
2 Doe

No go for us
aclark0495 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 08:52 PM   #56
TX CHICKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes County, Jim Hogg and Duval County

The system is flawed big time....I went through the online process and it recommended 1 doe and 1 buck for our 440 acres in Karnes county. We have averaged 5-7 doe tags (with the biologist and survey)the last 10 years and take 3-4 bucks a year usually. We are on the edge of Atascosa county and our property is heavily wooded.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
TX CHICKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 09:10 PM   #57
RenoHightower
Nubbin' Buck

460 acres - 1 buck and 2 doe. Cancelled enrollment.
RenoHightower is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 09:22 PM   #58
roadkill54
Four Point

Hunt In: South TX and Western Hill Country Tx

Just completed our LMA registration. Initially quite confusing. After reading it over multiple times and realizing the site did not support I.E. browser yet I switched over to the iPAD and got the initial sign up completed. I looked at both options for our ranch. The harvest option recommended 16 bucks and 33 does. This compares to 16 bucks and 41 does removed last season however the screwy regulations woven into the harvest side were a no go. I called our biologist and both of us got on line at the same time. There are some prerequisites however if you were MLD you most likely already qualify. If you use a 1d1 exemption then you already have the other criteria covered. We signed up and he accepted the conservation option while we were both on the phone. We now do our three surveys, send him the data, they send the tags via email (new this year). You print them out on your home computer. He said make sure and use paper that won't wash out the ink if the tag gets wet. Other than that were done. Unfortunately I think there is a lot of miss understanding still of the new process.

It appears going forward it should now be more user friendly Maybe!
roadkill54 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2017, 10:36 PM   #59
Top Of Texas
Six Point

Hunt In: Panhandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenska View Post
County and acres? I'm curious to see what people are getting for different sized tracts.

Good question. The new system does not calculate Harvest Option tags based on County. Tpwd biologists broke the state up into major habitat types, somewhere between 30 or 40, that they are calling deer management units. Those units were further broken down into more specific habitat types such as Pine Forrest, Cedar Breaks, Rolling Prairie, Mesquite, River bottom, Etc. Then using population data from state survey lines, as well as knowledge of populations in those areas, and bound by statistical limits, they developed population estimates for each of those specific habitat types.

So when a ranch goes onto LMA and draws their property boundary the system calculates the acres of each specific habitat type and plugs in a population estimate for each habitat type and then generates a population estimate for the entire Ranch. Biologists also developed harvest rates for each deer management unit targeting a certain percentage of the doe population and a certain percentage of the buck population. That's how the number of tags are determined.

So two properties that may only be two miles apart and have the same acreage but have different habitats types may be offered a different number of tags.
Top Of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 10:24 AM   #60
yotethumper
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenska View Post

Colorado, 230 acres. We normally get five antlerless tags.
yotethumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 12:33 PM   #61
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

My biologist told me the tags should stay the same. Unless you go with the harvest option which is less tags. Or am I switching them around I forget?
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 02:05 PM   #62
txwhitetail
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
460 acres - 1 buck and 2 doe. Cancelled enrollment.
Probably about right...what county ?
txwhitetail is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 02:46 PM   #63
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Marion County 360 Acres

0 bucks 2 doe

I have not killed a buck off my place, ever but I like to think if I did see one I could shoot it if I wanted to
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 10:25 PM   #64
JANKEII
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Gatesville

Coryell Co
300ac

High fence
3 bucks 6 does
Low fence
2 bucks 3 does

So with the program get 1 or 2 extra bucks and a couple of extra does
JANKEII is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 11:52 PM   #65
RenoHightower
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
Probably about right...what county ?
Cass
RenoHightower is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 03:35 PM   #66
Top Of Texas
Six Point

Maybe if I keep it short y'all will read it.

Harvest Option tags are NOT determined by county. Could potentially get offered different number of tags compared to your neighbor with same acreage. See post#59 for more details.

You can choose to accept only the antlerless tags, don't have to accept buck tags.

Harvest Option has extremely fewer requirements than Conservation Option.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:53 PM   #67
Bowhuntingobsession
Eight Point

Hunt In: Comal & Bee Co.

I hear what your saying TOT and that makes sense but. We hunt 1000 acres in Bee Co. and yes Bee is known for low density but we're in an all brush area with lots of deer. Still we only get one buck and three doe with the harvest option. I'm opting out of both !
Bowhuntingobsession is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 09:45 AM   #68
Top Of Texas
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhuntingobsession View Post
I hear what your saying TOT and that makes sense but. We hunt 1000 acres in Bee Co. and yes Bee is known for low density but we're in an all brush area with lots of deer. Still we only get one buck and three doe with the harvest option. I'm opting out of both !
Copy that. I wasn't trying to sell the program nor give validity to the method, just stating facts for clarity and understanding to the Green Screen folks.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #69
Stephenska
Four Point

Hunt In: Cass County

Well regardless, TPWD accomplished their goal...killing LAMPS and MLD1. If they didn't want to do that type of program they should have saved the tax payers' money that was spent on development of the program and website and issued a simple press release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stephenska is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 08:53 AM   #70
hogslayer78
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Augustine

Well it's gonna be a no go for us also. We were getting 8 doe tags with lamps and now it's gonna be 4 under the new program.
hogslayer78 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top