Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 07-13-2017, 02:49 PM   #1251
KenWood
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano and Runnels county

Thanks for the update! I get this worry in the back of my mind every time I send something. It's there till I know it made it.
KenWood is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 03:08 PM   #1252
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Glad it got there before your shift.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 03:23 PM   #1253
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

No worries Ken!! She made it fine!! Well, a little about me. My name is Ryan Martin and I work here at the local Sheriff's Office in my hometown. I've been a hunter all my life, literally as long as I can remember. I was fortunate that I grew up in the country, with a hunting family, and I don't really ever remember hunting and fishing not being a part of my life. I'm relatively new to traditional archery. When I first joined TBH, I found the trad forum right away and was always very impressed with the trad harvest threads, and in the back of my mind I knew I wanted to try it. But I never really took it seriously I guess, because it looked hard to the point that it was somewhat intimidating.

In 2014, I was at First Point in Uvalde. There was an older guy there named Tom, and I can't for the life of me remember his last name. He was shooting a longbow, and I remember thinking that it was so cool...I really started getting interested, he answered a lot of questions I had, said he'd help me find a bow and get started, and gave me his number, which I of course lost.

But I guess the spark was started there, and it rocked on and I started cruising the trad forum here even more. Then one day on FB I saw a Clay Hayes video, I think maybe Untamed, and it was a done deal then. I posted on here asking questions about getting started, and in December 2015 I bought a Samick Sage. From the first wobbly, horribly placed 5 yard arrow I shot out of that bow I was hooked. It's taken off since then.

I started asking questions, bothering Bisch, Ben, Scott, Jeff, Buff, Rusty, Corey, Rick and probably a few more I missed non stop trying to figure out what I was doing. I finally started getting it all together, got a couple more bows, managed to kill a few critters, and now it's pretty much all I think about. It's been so cool learning about trad up to this point, and I know I'll never stop learning, but I look forward to shooting my bow every day. I've made a ton of new friends through trad, and everybody has helped me so much that I really can't ever begin to pay them back. I've yet to meet a trad hunter that wasn't willing to help, give advice, and try to steer me in the right direction.

With all that said, I got Sacajawea strung up and started shooting almost right away. The same arrows I shoot in my other long bow are flying good, and I'm already shooting some pretty good groups!! I'm looking forward to the next few weeks I'll have her, and we'll try to keep you guys entertained!! I feel honored to be a part of this, and appreciate the chance!!
CRM_95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 03:24 PM   #1254
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2017, 03:35 PM   #1255
caughtandhobble
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Nice write up my friend... I say friend and we have never met in person. You ask good questions and understand shooting. I knew you'd be stacking up critters like cord wood sooner than later.

This little bow has brought many good people together. Thanks again to everybody that has started this thread and those who have contributed.
caughtandhobble is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 03:47 PM   #1256
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

Sharp writeup Ryan.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 04:56 PM   #1257
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

Nice writeup.
Phillip Fields is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 05:43 PM   #1258
spidermonkey
Eight Point

Hunt In: northeast and central texas

Great writeup Ryan! And, as I told ya on the phone... Good Shootin!! As far as my name being mentioned as "someone who helped"... Bout the only thing I may have done is tell ya ALL the ways I mess up, so you can put those on your list of "things NOT to do"! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
spidermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #1259
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Ever since going to Chester with me my son has been shooting trad also...he has an old Shakespeare recurve and he's coming along pretty good. Since Sacajawea is ambidextrous he came over and shot a little with me today and he was able to shoot her pretty good as well.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:29 PM   #1260
DRT
Pope & Young

Nice!

Old 07-14-2017, 05:08 PM   #1261
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM_95 View Post
Ever since going to Chester with me my son has been shooting trad also...he has an old Shakespeare recurve and he's coming along pretty good. Since Sacajawea is ambidextrous he came over and shot a little with me today and he was able to shoot her pretty good as well.

Awesome!!!

Old 07-14-2017, 07:50 PM   #1262
TP3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays, Val Verde co

Wow, I just realized I am next in line.

Which caused me to read the entire thread (again for the most part).

Enjoy your time with her in East Texas, CRM95.
I'm planning on taking her to the West Texas desert come September 1.

What a cool idea this has been.
TP3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2017, 12:34 PM   #1263
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Well I'm off today, so I've been shooting a little this morning. Shot a couple broadheads just to make sure they grouped with my field tips and they did. So, this evening I'm headed to the deer lease. I'm looking for a good spot to hang a south wind stand for deer season, but I'm taking Sacajawea with me because you never know when you may run across some pigs or rabbits!!
Old 07-16-2017, 12:55 PM   #1264
DRT
Pope & Young

Must be nice living that close to your hunting ground's.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:06 PM   #1265
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
Must be nice living that close to your hunting ground's.

It is this time of year, when nobody is down there. It's nice being close during hunting season too of course, but since I'm the lease manager and I'm close every time something breaks in camp I get a phone call too. Most of the members are older folks so I feel obligated to take care of it. Everything from broken water lines to stray dogs to being out of light bulbs in the showerhouse lol. It has it's ups and downs!!
Old 07-16-2017, 02:50 PM   #1266
DRT
Pope & Young

I'm that guy on many of the leases I've been on Ryan. But with my work experience and natural inclinations it was a good way to make up to the other members for me being a natural jerk as well. You're planting good seeds being there for the older members. May God repay you with a younger member to be that guy for you in your later years.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:09 PM   #1267
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Time for Sacajawea to take a little stroll in the pines. Don't get your hopes up, it's a scouting trip...but I don't have any qualms with making it a hunting trip if I see any pigs or bunnies.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:57 PM   #1268
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM_95 View Post
Time for Sacajawea to take a little stroll in the pines. Don't get your hopes up, it's a scouting trip...but I don't have any qualms with making it a hunting trip if I see any pigs or bunnies.

Good luck... hope you scout up something to shoot

Old 07-16-2017, 07:24 PM   #1269
TP3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays, Val Verde co

Good luck, sounds like a nice evening in store for you.
TP3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2017, 09:20 PM   #1270
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Had a great evening with Sacajawea!! Got to the lease and headed to the area where I wanted to put my new tripod. I wanted to set it up for a south wind. I found a spot that I think will work great. I'm gonna shove it back in these saplings.

And then this will be the view looking out. A couple pretty good trails converge right here.

After getting that out of the way, it was off to see what I could shoot. It was slow going because every 50 yards or so I'd have to kick 10lbs of red mud off my boots.

I slipped down to the pond, because a lot of times pigs will lay in the edge of the pond in this hot weather. Didn't find any pigs, but this is a great little place to kill a few minutes.

Then it was back to camp for a water break and to let Sacajawea rest a little bit.

Then I headed down the highline that runs along the county road. I figured I might see some pigs I could sneak up on, or at least a rabbit.

I didn't see anything to shoot, but did slip up on this little guy getting ready to cross the road into our place. We had a brief stare down and I was able to get a quick pic.

Then I cut off into the woods for a little bit itching to sling an arrow. I stumbled across an old water bottle and managed to smack it from about 15 yards.

Then I headed back to the highline in one more attempt to find something to shoot. No critters were out, so I took another break and finished off a can of snuff. Those silver lids make good targets too...

Then I headed back to camp, and heard a rustling in the woods. I crept in and this is what I found. They got a pass though, because for one thing they're hard on arrows, but mainly because I'd had a nice evening so didn't feel a need to ruin theirs. A quick pic and I was back on my way. I had a great time getting out and felt great to be in the woods with a bow in my hand!!

Oh and figured I may as well use the timer on my phone for a full draw selfie!!

Really enjoying Sacajawea!!

Old 07-17-2017, 08:32 AM   #1271
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Old 07-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #1272
Bisch
Pope & Young

Sounds like a great time at the lease!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2017, 07:56 PM   #1273
CRM_95
Pope & Young

I hated for Sacajawea to come to East Texas and not get to see the Davy Crockett NF...and I had an area I wanted to look at a little closer. So this evening we headed out. There was a light rain falling by the time I got there. I waited on it to pass, then we headed out. I marked the gate as a waypoint on my GPS, because these cloudy days it's easy to get turned around in the thick woods. Looked around a little and found a spot that looks promising, snapped a few pics, but the thunder was getting closer so I cut it short. I'm not a fan of lightning storms in these pines!

And of course we found a few targets along the way left behind by other people..I won't call them hunters because hunters don't leave their beer cans everywhere...but anyway, I never missed a shot today!!

I walked up on a bachelor group of bucks in this area and one was a good deer for sure. It's heavily traveled but close to the road. I'm gonna go back and follow a trail back to the backside of it and look around here pretty soon.

All in all another great afternoon in the woods!!! I'm going to start doing this at least once a week. I work out a lot anyway, so this is a good way to workout and unwind and sling some arrows at the same time.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:41 PM   #1274
Bisch
Pope & Young

Looks like an awesome day in the woods!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2017, 05:47 PM   #1275
Bud Ellis
Eight Point

Hunt In: Atascosa, county , Anderson county

Man I think I know that spot !
Lol
Bud Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2017, 06:27 PM   #1276
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Ellis View Post
Lol
Haha you might!! I know a couple guys on here will for sure.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:47 PM   #1277
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Ellis View Post
Lol
It's East Texas... it all looks the same. You've seen one pine tree, you've seen em all

Old 07-24-2017, 09:06 PM   #1278
spidermonkey
Eight Point

Hunt In: northeast and central texas

Looks like a good time Ryan! And some good shootin as well! And I'm like you, I hate being in the deer woods (any woods for that matter) and finding trash some lazy-good-for-nothin left behind! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
spidermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2017, 10:11 PM   #1279
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermonkey View Post
Looks like a good time Ryan! And some good shootin as well! And I'm like you, I hate being in the deer woods (any woods for that matter) and finding trash some lazy-good-for-nothin left behind! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
Leave no trace. A scouting principle we try to hammer in.

As an American I will do my best to be clean in my outdoor manners, to be careful with fire, to be considerate in the outdoors and to be conservation minded.