Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 04-17-2017, 09:31 AM   #1651
elgato
Ten Point

Spraying joint vetch fields with gly today. I've kept these fields regenerating for several years now by lightly discing in the spring and then at the last possible moment before the vetch starts germinating burning the field down. This helps control weeds as best I can though there is always a few weeds in the vetch.

I really like vetch as a feed . As mentioned it can be managed as a reseeding perennial . It's a high quality feed that will last till frost and frequently is the best thing going late summer to frost. Doesn't hurt that the best buck I personally ever took off the farm was seen grazing in a vetch field all summer.
Attached Images

elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2017, 03:49 PM   #1652
BlakeJ
Four Point

I've read you can just top sow the vetch before a rain on bare dirt, do you know if this is possible?

I've got some bare spots from the flood last week in my plots that I'm going to try this with. Joint vetch, buckwheat, and chicory. Supposed to rain Saturday, so Friday I'll spread them out. I gotta try something, my plots look like garbage right now after getting washed out.
BlakeJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2017, 10:03 PM   #1653
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJ View Post
I've read you can just top sow the vetch before a rain on bare dirt, do you know if this is possible?

I've got some bare spots from the flood last week in my plots that I'm going to try this with. Joint vetch, buckwheat, and chicory. Supposed to rain Saturday, so Friday I'll spread them out. I gotta try something, my plots look like garbage right now after getting washed out.
I would assume its possible to top seed vetch. It is a very small [ and expensive ] seed. I would want to believe that a hard rain wouldn't wash it away.Might be best to cultipack it or drag in in if possible. Buckwheat is also easy to establish. However I've always planted chicory in the fall. Never tried it in the spring.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:08 AM   #1654
elgato
Ten Point

Drilling a combo of soybeans, cow peas, sorghum, sunflowers, and Egyptian wheat into the fall cover crop. Its not laying down as well as last year possibly because I planted a couple of weeks later last year and the fall crop was more broken down. I may mow next week.The fall crop of rye, wheat clover and radishes were sprayed yesterday. Would think every bird in La. would be on the wheat seed in this field.

I'll be planting a total of 26 acres in this particular combo.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2017, 10:51 AM   #1655
ChiroHuntR
Four Point

Hunt In: Rookie- still looking!

Loving it! You have the life my friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChiroHuntR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2017, 08:20 PM   #1656
elgato
Ten Point

A year in the life of a farm isn't complete without the full story! This makes it all worth it.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2017, 08:59 PM   #1657
BrokenJ
Ten Point

That boys living the dream, keep the up dates coming sir
BrokenJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2017, 03:30 PM   #1658
elgato
Ten Point

Drilling 15lb/acre sunflowers into a 13 acre crimson clover filed. Hopefully the deer won't eat them all.They have in the past though I have reduced numbers and there are plenty of other options all around. The field was stunning about a month ago but gone to seed now. Should reseed naturally this fall.

Looking for a good dove hunt come Sept.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2017, 08:29 PM   #1659
elgato
Ten Point

Set of sheds from the ranch. 190 3/8. I think 7 yr old.I thought him to be 178-180 in the field. His mass is over 41" and I tend to underscore heavy mass deer every time .
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2017, 08:57 PM   #1660
TxAg
Pope & Young

Wow
TxAg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2017, 09:02 PM   #1661
Puncher51
Six Point

Hunt In: Mason, Callahan, and Stonewall Counties

Wow!
Puncher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2017, 07:20 AM   #1662
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato View Post
A year in the life of a farm isn't complete without the full story! This makes it all worth it.
Now thats an awesome pic! I'm sure the boy has the time of his life out there
Amazing place yall have.
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2017, 07:23 AM   #1663
Hillbilly Rockstar
Four Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Subscribed...great thread!
Hillbilly Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2017, 08:07 AM   #1664
Mex Polack
Four Point

Hunt In: Mexico

Bone Breaker there, Sweet!
Mex Polack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2017, 09:50 AM   #1665
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

Quote:
Set of sheds from the ranch. 190 3/8. I think 7 yr old.I thought him to be 178-180 in the field. His mass is over 41" and I tend to underscore heavy mass deer every time .
WOW Was he on the hitlist and gave you the slip or were you letting him go intentionally?
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2017, 09:54 AM   #1666
ReydonPete
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ok,Tx

Wow
That's a great set of sheds
Impressive
ReydonPete is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2017, 09:13 PM   #1667
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgHntr10 View Post
WOW Was he on the hitlist and gave you the slip or were you letting him go intentionally?
We let him go intentionally.Well known buck we've been watching a couple of years. We asked one of our elderly hunters if he wanted to chase him but he passed.At 8 next year he will attract more attention.Generally we like to save our better bucks for 8-10.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:35 PM   #1668
ethic1
Six Point

Wow!

ethic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2017, 10:38 PM   #1669
Gunner97
Ten Point

Heck of a set of horns Rusty. He should be a dandy next year.
Gunner97 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2017, 11:41 AM   #1670
elgato
Ten Point

2 1/4" last night. Legume mix up looking good.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2017, 06:20 AM   #1671
Bowhuntinonly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Decker Prairie Tx.
Default rain

Glad you got the rain, it has been missing us. Plots are looking good!
Bowhuntinonly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 08:25 PM   #1672
Stephenska
Four Point

Hunt In: Cass County

Sorry I'm behind, on post #446 and trying to catch up. Which publication from QDMA did you go by when establishing your planting program? There are several in their online store.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Stephenska is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2017, 09:32 AM   #1673
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenska View Post
Sorry I'm behind, on post #446 and trying to catch up. Which publication from QDMA did you go by when establishing your planting program? There are several in their online store.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gracious! I hope its worth it to read this whole thread.

My planting program is an amalgamation of years of reading , experimenting, failures and success. Yes I do get some information from QDMA which is very valuable. But I also look at lots of other publications as diverse as 'The No-Till Farmer' to 'Acres' magazine. Plus go on line all the time exploring different options.

There is a good thread on the 'deer hunter ' website by a guy named Paul Knox called the LC thread...I think. He posted a book basically outlining cover crop cultivars and values. I use a lot of that info along with my own experimentation.

happy to answer any specific questions you may have.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:30 AM   #1674
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Wow that is a massive set of sheds!!!
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2017, 11:58 AM   #1675
elgato
Ten Point

It has been the best spring early summer here in La. in 3 years. We only had one brief flood that lasted less about a week and while it covered several hundred acres it was off quickly. We have had regular rains with relatively mild temps and all the plots are doing very well . For the first time in 3 years all the plots are growing instead of being flooded.Here is a 5 acre clover field with understory of Durana, red clover a bit over the knees and you can see the blue chicory blooms in the foreground. These are scattered all over the property.The peas and bean fields are doing super as well and I will post pics of them as they reach full stride.

A terrific start to the year. Cant wait to see what becomes of it.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2017, 12:45 PM   #1676
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Quote:
Good gosh man! Just seeing this guy and the incredible mass. Impressive what y'all have done.
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2017, 08:17 PM   #1677
ethic1
Six Point

Quote:
It has been the best spring early summer here in La. in 3 years. We only had one brief flood that lasted less about a week and while it covered several hundred acres it was off quickly. We have had regular rains with relatively mild temps and all the plots are doing very well . For the first time in 3 years all the plots are growing instead of being flooded.Here is a 5 acre clover field with understory of Durana, red clover a bit over the knees and you can see the blue chicory blooms in the foreground. These are scattered all over the property.The peas and bean fields are doing super as well and I will post pics of them as they reach full stride.

A terrific start to the year. Cant wait to see what becomes of it.

Beautiful!!

Old 06-04-2017, 09:05 PM   #1678
Old Blue
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mexico,

Looking good Rusty. You are real green in Mexico also
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2017, 09:47 AM   #1679
bounds
Four Point

Hunt In: Liberty County, New Mexico, Colorado

Looks great Rusty! Question for you. I've got some low areas in our fields that have held water through the big rains from the last 3 weeks (post planting). When you've had that, what do you do?

Most of the field is off to a great start, but a few places the seeds got drowned. Should I overseed those spots once it dries up?
bounds is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2017, 01:12 PM   #1680
2014FusionM
Eight Point

Hunt In: Jack county, bailey county

Holy cow, what a thread! Elgato you have got it going on!
2014FusionM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2017, 01:41 PM   #1681
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
At a glance, I had that deer at 165. The more i drill down on the numbers, the bigger he gets! I suck at scoring other folks deer from pics. How long are those beams? GIANT frame!
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2017, 07:41 AM   #1682
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
At a glance, I had that deer at 165. The more i drill down on the numbers, the bigger he gets! I suck at scoring other folks deer from pics. How long are those beams? GIANT frame!
That deer isn't an inch over ****in huge ...not sure what hell you're takin about.
Beautiful frame..love it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2017, 04:57 PM   #1683
elgato
Ten Point

The buck carrying these sheds was one of the more deceptive bucks for me in a long time. As stated mass can fool me. It's why I have such a hard time judging deer here on the farm. They tend to be way more massive than S.TX and Mexico.All of his measurements are big...frame, tines, long brows, beams and he was a big deer. For me, its hard to look at a deer like that and say 190. I shot a 195" 10 pt a few years back but he looked that big cause he didn't have the mass or long brows but had super beams and tine length. I figured him over 190 but not this one . I will post a pic of him live when I start working on last years video.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:02 PM   #1684
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
That deer isn't an inch over ****in huge ...not sure what hell you're takin about.
Beautiful frame..love it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounds View Post
Looks great Rusty! Question for you. I've got some low areas in our fields that have held water through the big rains from the last 3 weeks (post planting). When you've had that, what do you do?

Most of the field is off to a great start, but a few places the seeds got drowned. Should I overseed those spots once it dries up?
Situations like that are tough. I have numerous low spots that hold water and essentially they never grow anything well. I think the choices are to haul dirt and fill them in or accept they may not be as productive as the better drained soils.

Over time if your lucky enough to get growth in them , then the build up of organic matter will help with drainage. Depending on their size you may try something like durana in them which can grow in tough conditions.

Saw your '360' thread. Should be interesting to follow
Old 06-09-2017, 05:04 PM   #1685
elgato
Ten Point

Bounds, I have no idea why gar guy and systemnt got included in my response to you???
They were supposed to be attached to the previous response. So much for my computer wizardry.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:49 PM   #1686
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

You clickyclicky one too many times in tapatalky?
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2017, 11:25 AM   #1687
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
The buck carrying these sheds was one of the more deceptive bucks for me in a long time. As stated mass can fool me. It's why I have such a hard time judging deer here on the farm. They tend to be way more massive than S.TX and Mexico.All of his measurements are big...frame, tines, long brows, beams and he was a big deer. For me, its hard to look at a deer like that and say 190. I shot a 195" 10 pt a few years back but he looked that big cause he didn't have the mass or long brows but had super beams and tine length. I figured him over 190 but not this one . I will post a pic of him live when I start working on last years video.
I knew the 195 was that freakn big! This deer really had me though but i can see it as I drill down on the numbers. It will be great to compare live pics this year to last years pics now that we have solid data to compare. What a giant. i cant wait to see him progress.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2017, 09:37 AM   #1688
BillyloMexico
Ten Point

Quote:

Did someone say VIDEO?????

BillyloMexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2017, 04:22 PM   #1689
roadkill54
Four Point

Hunt In: South TX and Western Hill Country Tx

Video Can we please see some video This drama is killing me and probably a bunch more who are drooling in suspense
roadkill54 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 07:31 AM   #1690
deer farmer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harrison Co and other places

Your deer are truly amazing to look at, I know it makes you feel good about your place. Which is really looking good this year. Thumbs up
deer farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 07:56 AM   #1691
ChiroHuntR
Four Point

Hunt In: Rookie- still looking!

Living vicariously through you really enjoying this thread!

ChiroHuntR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 08:01 AM   #1692
ethic1
Six Point

How's the growth coming?

Old 07-13-2017, 08:25 AM   #1693
wdtorque
Six Point

Great thread!
wdtorque is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 08:33 AM   #1694
texas shag
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cayuga, Childress, the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill54 View Post
Video Can we please see some video This drama is killing me and probably a bunch more who are drooling in suspense
hell, I will pay for a video just to see the animals you continually grow!
texas shag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2017, 08:21 AM   #1695
elgato
Ten Point

Couple of updates.

I spent an hour trying to create a you tube account and figure out how to transfer video here. I was unsuccessful. I'll keep trying.

I have planted sunn hemp the last few years and really like what it does for the soil. A question I've seen asked is if deer eat sunn hemp. Here is a pic showing where deer have eaten all the leaves off a plant. What you can't see is they also nipped all the growth buds from top at 5-6ft. Guess maybe they were standing on their hind legs.
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2017, 08:26 AM   #1696
elgato
Ten Point

On another subject, it has been the best summer here I can remember. We have had an abundance of rain. I haven't had to water my garden once this summer and the farm looks like a tropical paradise. All the food plots are excellent.Temperatures have been milder than normal which puts less stress on the deer...and everything else. I've been seeing plenty of bucks and some are looking really good. I put out 2 cameras and the photo included here is the first pic I got. Good start.
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2017, 09:06 AM   #1697
santana
Ten Point

Awesome rusty!!
santana is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2017, 08:52 PM   #1698
elgato
Ten Point

Here's a nice one from my neighbors farm. maybe he will come over to my side
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2017, 09:28 PM   #1699
JeffK
Eight Point

Wow that last one is a bull. Bet there is no ground shrinkage with that one. Thanks for posting!

Sun hemp looks good. i have to finally give it a shot next year
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2017, 10:07 PM   #1700
pse3
Six Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

This is the best thread I have ever read on here.
Very impressive
pse3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top