Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 07-16-2017, 12:01 PM   #1
stevieray54
Ten Point

Hunt In: Alvin/Danbury Brazoria Co.
Default Whats your Opinion on Kimber Long Guns

Does anyone have a opinion on the Kimber Long Guns, i have heard mixed feelings, some say accurate as advertised and other say the extraction and feed or not to be desired. Whats your exprince
stevieray54 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2017, 12:02 PM   #2
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack/Young County

Wish I still had my .243. I drilled a T-Post at 120 yards with it on several occasions. Super accurate....
DFWPI is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2017, 12:12 PM   #3
stevieray54
Ten Point

ttt
Old 07-16-2017, 12:35 PM   #4
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wyoming and Texas

I had a .308 that I bought at an NRA banquet. I tried six different brands of ammo and it would not shoot any of them well. Pretty gun, sorry shooter. I sold it.
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2017, 12:36 PM   #5
cattlelackranch
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas and Panhandle

There's better options imo
cattlelackranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #6
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

If you are going to get one then make sure it is from clackamas oregon...the older / original ones are generally much more accurate, better fitting & most certainly hold their value better.

Going to cost more, but better $$$$ spent...I have a 223 Super America & a 221 fireball. Really well made rifles.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2017, 03:34 PM   #7
timoub007
Six Point

Several years ago I was in the market for a large caliber rifle in the event that I would ever get the chance to go on a mountain elk or mulie hunt. I originally thought about getting a .338 Lapua but decided that I did not want to spend $4-5 per shot. So a little research led me to the .338 Federal caliber. Not a real long range gun, but looked interesting enough for me. There were only a few companies chambering that round in lightweight rifles and my information pointed me towards Kimber having the best stock design to tame the recoil in a lightweight rifle. My gun topped with a 2 - 8 x 36 Leopold optic only weighs about 6.5 pounds if I recall correctly.

The gun is quite accurate with several different factory weights and bullet types. I was fortunate to take an awesome Nilgai with it this January and it was a pleasure to carry during the several mile long stalk. One shot with 200 grain Federal Fusion dropped him where he stood.

https://i.imgur.com/SMrm94a.jpg

So long story short, I can highly recommend the Kimber Montana 84M.

T
timoub007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2017, 05:21 PM   #8
speck1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

I have a Kimber Sonora in 25-06. It shoots tight groups. Bolt does fail to catch the live round once in a while if I have don't have a full mag. Nice rifle though.
speck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2017, 05:23 PM   #9
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan wells, fedor, paige

Quote:
Originally Posted by timoub007 View Post
Several years ago I was in the market for a large caliber rifle in the event that I would ever get the chance to go on a mountain elk or mulie hunt. I originally thought about getting a .338 Lapua but decided that I did not want to spend $4-5 per shot. So a little research led me to the .338 Federal caliber. Not a real long range gun, but looked interesting enough for me. There were only a few companies chambering that round in lightweight rifles and my information pointed me towards Kimber having the best stock design to tame the recoil in a lightweight rifle. My gun topped with a 2 - 8 x 36 Leopold optic only weighs about 6.5 pounds if I recall correctly.

The gun is quite accurate with several different factory weights and bullet types. I was fortunate to take an awesome Nilgai with it this January and it was a pleasure to carry during the several mile long stalk. One shot with 200 grain Federal Fusion dropped him where he stood.

https://i.imgur.com/SMrm94a.jpg

So long story short, I can highly recommend the Kimber Montana 84M.

T

Not to detail the thread but was just looking at this caliber last night and half tempted to get one. have you killed any whitetail with it?
kd350 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2017, 07:19 PM   #10
Radar
Eight Point

Had a 84 Varmint in 22-250. Nice gun, but was a reloaders nightmare. One of the most pickiest rifles I ever owned. Sold it. No mas Kimber.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2017, 09:09 PM   #11
stevieray54
Ten Point

Bump
Old 07-16-2017, 09:19 PM   #12
timoub007
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd350 View Post
Not to detail the thread but was just looking at this caliber last night and half tempted to get one. have you killed any whitetail with it?
Yes, I have shot wt and hogs with it. I usually use the 165 grain bullets on wt. Knocks them pretty good, usually DRT and leaves a good blood trail if not. I have it sighted in for a 200 yard zero in anticipation of longer shots on the Nilgai and feel good with a normal hold out to 250 or so. Most of my shots are within 150.

T
Old 07-16-2017, 09:27 PM   #13
frazee3200
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

I had a sanora 8400 in a 25-06, shot great!!! Miss that gun
frazee3200 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2017, 09:36 PM   #14
kd350
Ten Point

Quote:
Yes, I have shot wt and hogs with it. I usually use the 165 grain bullets on wt. Knocks them pretty good, usually DRT and leaves a good blood trail if not. I have it sighted in for a 200 yard zero in anticipation of longer shots on the Nilgai and feel good with a normal hold out to 250 or so. Most of my shots are within 150.

T

I like the sound of this... I'm really tempted to get one just in case I get drawn for nilgai

Where are you finding the 165 gr? Closest thing I can find is the double tap with a Barnes in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-16-2017, 09:53 PM   #15
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch,Menard Counties

I have three Kimbers. Two Montana's and a heavy barrel Longmaster. All three shoot well for factory rifles.
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2017, 10:39 PM   #16
trophy8
Pope & Young

Accuracy can be hit or miss on the newer ones. I have had a longmaster classic 308 that was a hammer and a longmaster varmint 22-250 that was a hammer. but neither would handle much pressure. Slow barrels. Actions are pretty small and weak as well. They make some gorgeous hunting rifles that should shoot MOA at least but a lot don't. The triggers were both very nice in those two. I bought an 84m off a guy on here and it showed up in much worse condition than I was told ( he took a sharpie to dings on the barrel and then said he was too blind to see any scratches. But said he bough tit new so he did it....) Very possible it wasn't cared for but that thing never did shoot worth a ****.

There are several other options as good or better out there. You can find a used cooper for what some of the kimbers cost new and they are 10x the rifle.
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2017, 07:20 AM   #17
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Pretty guns but so is a Weatherby. Neither are cream of the crop when it comes to accuracy. JMO
muzzlebrake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2017, 08:17 AM   #18
mlmtx01
Eight Point

Hunt In: Salado TX

I have one in 22-250 and it likes the hornady and Barnes 50 grains. It'll shoot a snuff can lid sized group at 300 yards on a calm morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mlmtx01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2017, 08:18 AM   #19
mlmtx01
Eight Point

I've shot two hogs out past 400 too

Old 07-17-2017, 01:07 PM   #20
LWD
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County and anywhere else I can

Friend of mine with a gunshop quit selling them years because 3 or 4 of every 10 he sold wouldn't hold a 4" group. Guys buying thousand dollar rifles expect much better. Hill Country Rifles won't take them for their accurizing service if that says anything.

LWD
LWD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2017, 01:35 PM   #21
Pullersboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Erath & Hamilton Counties.

I've never shot one. But, I've handled a few. They look and feel really nice. That has lead me to read reviews. I have read enough reviews (much like this thread) that indicate a good chance of getting a pretty inconsistent rifle. This has scared me away. For the price tag on those things, there are quite a few rifles out there that consistently gain positive reviews. The Kimbers reviews are all over the board.
Pullersboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2017, 04:20 PM   #22
mlmtx01
Eight Point

I must have got one of the good ones!

Old 07-17-2017, 09:34 PM   #23
Jboettiger
Nubbin' Buck

Won a 270 WSM and have had great success. It will shoot a jagged hole at 100 yards if I do my part. Good success on WT and a number of hogs on its first trip out to the ranch. For a $100 worth of raffle tickets and a half price Leopold scope, I would say I am pretty happy.

Jboettiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2017, 10:39 PM   #24
timoub007
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd350 View Post
I like the sound of this... I'm really tempted to get one just in case I get drawn for nilgai

Where are you finding the 165 gr? Closest thing I can find is the double tap with a Barnes in it

I'm sorry, I misspoke. I have 185 & 200 grain rounds in my safe.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/338-federal

I do have some 165 grain Barnes TTSX to reload but have not gotten around to working those up yet. I spend too much time shooting my .243 or one of my .270s to mess with it for now.

I am over south of Beaumont if you want to come see it in person sometime. We could meet at a range and you can squeeze off a few. Always like trying things before buying and that is something difficult in gun purchases usually. PM me if you are interested in meeting up.

T
Old 07-17-2017, 10:53 PM   #25
kd350
Ten Point

Quote:
I'm sorry, I misspoke. I have 185 & 200 grain rounds in my safe.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/338-federal

I do have some 165 grain Barnes TTSX to reload but have not gotten around to working those up yet. I spend too much time shooting my .243 or one of my .270s to mess with it for now.

I am over south of Beaumont if you want to come see it in person sometime. We could meet at a range and you can squeeze off a few. Always like trying things before buying and that is something difficult in gun purchases usually. PM me if you are interested in meeting up.

T

Thanks for the offer, will be in touch

Old 07-17-2017, 11:21 PM   #26
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County
Default Whats your Opinion on Kimber Long Guns

I have this exact setup in 280 AI and it shoots good with right ammo. It is by far the lightest setup I have and shoots around an inch. A better shooter with hand loads could get sub moa at 100 yards. The one knock I have is the bolt is a little sticky but I baby everything and if you work the bolt quickly for a follow up shot it's fine.

Disclaimer:

Nothing I own compares to the Sako bolt from a factory rifle.

Last edited by Black Ice; 07-17-2017 at 11:25 PM..
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2017, 11:09 AM   #27
Txdeerhunter243
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards and Lavaca co.

I don't have a lot of experience with them, but they have always caught my eye. I have a 84m longmaster classic in 308 and it will consistently shoot 3/4" 5 shot groups with 165 gr gamekings. I've been very pleased with it, 2015 model.
Txdeerhunter243 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2017, 11:13 AM   #28
Horitexan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brushy Hill Ranch, Sabinal, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWD View Post
Friend of mine with a gunshop quit selling them years because 3 or 4 of every 10 he sold wouldn't hold a 4" group. Guys buying thousand dollar rifles expect much better. Hill Country Rifles won't take them for their accurizing service if that says anything.

LWD

If I were looking at a Kimber rifle, ^^THIS^^ post is what would have me switching gears and looking at other manufacturers. The fact that you don't see accurizing service from HCR (or other gunsmiths) is a deal-breaker for me - it's just too worrisome. They will even accurize Howa but not a Kimber? Something wrong with that picture.

I guess you could take the chance and then deal with Kimber on their Sub MOA guarantee. I wonder how that process works; but I suspect they have plenty of 'outs' on that guarantee that benefit them and not the purchaser.

Depending on what you're looking for, you might take a look at Christensen Arms, Savage & Tikka as alternatives

Horitexan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2017, 12:27 PM   #29
2Lazy2P
Eight Point

Hunt In: NE Texas/SE Oklahoma

I've got a Longmaster classic .308 that shoots well. Been looking for one in .223 to match it. I've heard the horror stories but I've been pleased with mine.
2Lazy2P is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2017, 12:54 PM   #30
Lungbustr
Pope & Young

My Kimber 8400 shoots great. Never any accuracy problems from it with various ammo.
Lungbustr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2017, 02:38 PM   #31
sendit
Eight Point

I have been very pleased with my Kimber rifles.

One reason I think some people have a problem with them is that the Kimber hunting rifles tend to be lighter that most. Shooting light rifles is a bit different that heavier ones. You have to be able to able to manage recoil.
sendit is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2017, 06:20 PM   #32
M16
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWD View Post

LWD
Let's get real here. HCR's accurizing service cost $695 and doesn't promise anything as far as accuracy improvement no matter the maker. Who in their right mind would fall for this? I can get a new barrel installed for less than that and I'd be willing to bet it would outshoot their accurizing service. If you want the deluxe accurizing service cough up $1595 which includes a new barrel.

I have one of their rifles that I bought used and it shoots great. Almost as good as my Alamo Precision that cost half as much.

The bottom line is that you are taking a chance with any mass produced rifle in this day and age. Kimber is not better or worse than any other production gun.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:23 PM   #33
M16
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendit View Post

One reason I think some people have a problem with them is that the Kimber hunting rifles tend to be lighter that most. Shooting light rifles is a bit different that heavier ones. You have to be able to able to manage recoil.
You are quite correct. Not everyone has the skill to shoot lightweight rifles. Here is a link to a good article.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...-light-rifles/
Old 07-18-2017, 11:08 PM   #34
Radar
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
Let's get real here. HCR's accurizing service cost $695 and doesn't promise anything as far as accuracy improvement no matter the maker. Who in their right mind would fall for this? I can get a new barrel installed for less than that and I'd be willing to bet it would outshoot their accurizing service. If you want the deluxe accurizing service cough up $1595 which includes a new barrel.

I have one of their rifles that I bought used and it shoots great. Almost as good as my Alamo Precision that cost half as much.

The bottom line is that you are taking a chance with any mass produced rifle in this day and age. Kimber is not better or worse than any other production gun.
Where can you get a rifle rebarreled for than 695.00? Shilen charges over 400.00 for just a match grade barrel and Hart charges 715.00 for a barrel and installation. Or are you talking like an ER Shaw barrel?

http://hillcountryrifles.com/hcr/accurizing

I had them do a rifle for me and so did my nephew. They did very good work and we got back two rifles that are sub moa. They will get more money from me in the future. I never "fell" for anything.

When HCR did your rifles did it turn out bad?
Old 07-19-2017, 07:27 AM   #35
M16
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Where can you get a rifle rebarreled for than 695.00? Shilen charges over 400.00 for just a match grade barrel and Hart charges 715.00 for a barrel and installation. Or are you talking like an ER Shaw barrel?

I had them do a rifle for me and so did my nephew. They did very good work and we got back two rifles that are sub moa. They will get more money from me in the future. I never "fell" for anything.

Pacnor will do it for $650. http://pac-nor.com/pricelist/

Sorry but it doesn't make sense to put almost $700 into a factory rifle without replacing the barrel. That's putting lipstick on a pig.

I bought one of their complete rifles. It was lightly used and came with the build sheet. $3500 with a customer supplied action. He sold it for $1250. It shoots great. Just like several other custom rifles built for half the original cost. There is a point where you are paying for a name and not better performance.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:13 AM   #36
Radar
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
Pacnor will do it for $650. http://pac-nor.com/pricelist/

Sorry but it doesn't make sense to put almost $700 into a factory rifle without replacing the barrel. That's putting lipstick on a pig.

I bought one of their complete rifles. It was lightly used and came with the build sheet. $3500 with a customer supplied action. He sold it for $1250. It shoots great. Just like several other custom rifles built for half the original cost. There is a point where you are paying for a name and not better performance.
Does not include bedding or free floating? I paid 400.00 for a used Remington 700 in 300 win mag, took it to HRC and now have a sub moa rifle for 1100.00 total. How did I go wrong?
Once again I will ask when HRC did your work how did it turn out?
Old 07-19-2017, 11:04 AM   #37
Tx_Wader
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

Man I'm glad the one I bought shoots great!

But then I've never owned a Kimber that didn't shoot great.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2017, 01:47 PM   #38
Maxlab
Eight Point

Hunt In: Jimwells/Gonzalez

Quote:

Horizon Firearms for $895 will true your action, put on a new match grade barrel. Adjust your trigger or install a new trigger if you provide, bed your action to the stock. Cerakote all metal for you upto two colors. And guarantee a .5 moa.
Hill Country Rifles is way over priced.
Maxlab is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2017, 02:50 PM   #39
Radar
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxlab View Post
Horizon Firearms for $895 will true your action, put on a new match grade barrel. Adjust your trigger or install a new trigger if you provide, bed your action to the stock. Cerakote all metal for you upto two colors. And guarantee a .5 moa.
Hill Country Rifles is way over priced.
Wrong, check again. Please call Horizon.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:06 PM   #40
Maxlab
Eight Point

Quote:
Wrong, check again. Please call Horizon.
No your wrong. They are currently building my 3rd rifle as we speak. I'm pretty sure I know Horizon's pricing. Just look under Services for the Rebarrel $895.00 everything included as I mentioned above. It's Clearly posted on his web page.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:21 PM   #41
Radar
Eight Point

Wrong, called them price was more than you say. Was not that far off from HRC
Old 07-19-2017, 03:37 PM   #42
Maxlab
Eight Point

Quote:
Wrong, called them price was more than you say. Was not that far off from HRC
Obviously your trying to justify the poking you received from HCR. I know what I'm paying from Horizon and it's $895.00 for the services mentioned. The price will go up from there if you add fluting to the barrel, bolt knob or bolt fluting.
Even those services are way less than HCR. HCR wants $295 to flute a barrel 6 straight flutes. Horizon is $160 for 6 straight flutes.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:47 PM   #43
Radar
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxlab View Post
Obviously your trying to justify the poking you received from HCR. I know what I'm paying from Horizon and it's $895.00 for the services mentioned. The price will go up from there if you add fluting to the barrel, bolt knob or bolt fluting.
Even those services are way less than HCR. HCR wants $295 to flute a barrel 6 straight flutes. Horizon is $160 for 6 straight flutes.
Obviously you should compare apples to apples. Also consider the accuracy guarantee from HRC.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:59 PM   #44
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Obviously you should compare apples to apples. Also consider the accuracy guarantee from HRC.
It is a well known fact HCR is a joke. I can get a new barrel $350 lilja, installed for $200-250. West Texas ordnance and several others. I've had more than a few built.... HCR polishes a ****. And charges a fortune for it. A simple bedding a trigger job goes a long way on a lot of factory guns. That's essentially all they are doing. For 2-3X the price. But but but their rifle made a hit at 3200 yards!! After the guy literally shot at it all day with dozens of rounds haha. HCR is just an overpriced tuning shop.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:02 PM   #45
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendit View Post

Yep. And a lot of folks get the thin barrels hot, fast.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:00 PM   #46
Radar
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
It is a well known fact HCR is a joke. I can get a new barrel $350 lilja, installed for $200-250. West Texas ordnance and several others. I've had more than a few built.... HCR polishes a ****. And charges a fortune for it. A simple bedding a trigger job goes a long way on a lot of factory guns. That's essentially all they are doing. For 2-3X the price. But but but their rifle made a hit at 3200 yards!! After the guy literally shot at it all day with dozens of rounds haha. HCR is just an overpriced tuning shop.
Yes you have made some other outrageous claims on here as well. Especially with optics
Old 07-19-2017, 05:03 PM   #47
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes you have made some other outrageous claims on here as well. Especially with optics
Give me an example. I'll give a long list of folks who agrees HCR is a joke. Let me guess. You have a vortex viper on it too?
Old 07-19-2017, 05:48 PM   #48
Radar
Eight Point

I pm'd you my contact info. Have no problem talking straight up or face to face.
I dont get in to hiding behind a computer screen.

I own a Vortex 2-7x on a cheap Ruger 22 mag, it rides on my Mule. Everything else is Zeiss, Nightforce and one Burris Veracity.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:00 PM   #49
Maxlab
Eight Point

Quote:
Obviously you can't read, Horizons guarantee is better than HCR .5 MOA is better than 3/4 MOA. As far as apples to apples please explain then. The cost of a custom barrel, from any of the Big names are just about the same. Unless you go carbon fiber.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:09 PM   #50
smokin feathers
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shelby san augustine n newton co

Kimber hs my most accurate rifle ever!!
smokin feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top