Bill passed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bill passed

Good deal! Question though, what does this do to the ban on lead waterfowl loads? Could they be used again?

Read the latest headlines, news stories, and opinion from Politics, Entertainment, Life, Perspectives, and more.
    Last edited by Sippy; 04-18-2012, 06:27 PM.

didnt know a thing about the bill, i do know lead shot was the bomb.

Comment

Good question there sip. It doesn't say anything about reversing previous legislation. Just blocking future laws regulating lead. So I'm curious to see.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
        Good question there sip. It doesn't say anything about reversing previous legislation. Just blocking future laws regulating lead. So I'm curious to see.
        We would kill more ducks (although maybe not purposefully). Not sure how i would feel about a reversal, but i think i would be against it.

Comment

This is only passed in the house where it is controlled by Republicans I don't think it has a chance in the Senate. We will see.

Comment

Good deal. Hope they don't bring back lead shot for waterfowl though, that's just asking for trouble...

Comment

Cool deal, I like my cheap lead shot. Anybody else notice they had baby polar bears at the bottom to make you feel bad for killing the polar bears in Canada and then bringing them back to the U.S.A.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                Good deal. Hope they don't bring back lead shot for waterfowl though, that's just asking for trouble...
                why? I guess you shoot dove and quail with nontoxic shot?

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
                  Good deal! Question though, what does this do to the ban on lead waterfowl loads? Could they be used again?

It does absolutely nothing.

Social Studies 101- It takes both houses of Congress and a presidential signature (or sit on his desk for 10 days without a signature if Congress is in session) to pass a law or a 2/3's vote by both houses to override a veto.

The US Congress is in session all year unlike the Texas legislature that is in session only 5 months every other year so they are always passing bills.

When a different party controls each house (like now with the GOP for the House and the Dems for the Senate) then both will likely pass bills that the other house will not even take up for debate, much less try to pass. I think to date, since the Republicans took over the House in 2010, they have sent 35 bills to the Senate that Harry Reid (Democrat head of the Senate) will not even allow to be debated.

So while this bill that passed the House seems great, that is as far as it will go just as the other bills that have passed the House. Even assuming that the Senate could get enough support to pass it, they would need the president to go along with it and that just isn't happening. In the fantastical assumption that it passed both houses, it would never get a 2/3's vote to override a veto.

The House could just as well pass a bill to end all income taxes and while it might pass, that is as far as it would get.

End of lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post

Social Studies 101- It takes both houses of Congress and a presidential signature (or sit on his desk for 10 days without a signature if Congress is in session) to pass a law or a 2/3's vote by both houses to override a veto.

The US Congress is in session all year unlike the Texas legislature that is in session only 5 months every other year so they are always passing bills.

When a different party controls each house (like now with the GOP for the House and the Dems for the Senate) then both will likely pass bills that the other house will not even take up for debate, much less try to pass. I think to date, since the Republicans took over the House in 2010, they have sent 35 bills to the Senate that Harry Reid (Democrat head of the Senate) will not even allow to be debated.

So while this bill that passed the House seems great, that is as far as it will go just as the other bills that have passed the House. Even assuming that the Senate could get enough support to pass it, they would need the president to go along with it and that just isn't happening. In the fantastical assumption that it passed both houses, it would never get a 2/3's vote to override a veto.

The House could just as well pass a bill to end all income taxes and while it might pass, that is as far as it would get.

End of lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post

End of lesson.

I am completely educated on how the system works. I am referring to if the bill gets completely passed.

Comment

Originally posted by BvR View Post
                        why? I guess you shoot dove and quail with nontoxic shot?
                        Completely different. Duck pick up small rocks when they feed (including lead shot), which causes them to get lead poisoning and die.

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
                          Completely different. Duck pick up small rocks when they feed (including lead shot), which causes them to get lead poisoning and die.
                          Most birds eat gravel to some extent, if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

not different dove pick up small rocks(including lead) also.

Comment

Cant see this passing at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X