Covert Camera Solar Panel Battery Box Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Covert Camera Solar Panel Battery Box Build

I've been using the covert special ops wireless game cameras for the past couple of years and I've loved them. However I usually only get 2-4 months out of 12 normal AA batteries when the cameras take about 20-40 pictures a day. I have 3 cameras, each at a different lease so it's a pain to keep them all up and running sometimes because it seems like one is alwasy dead. So I decided to build some 12V systems to keep them (hopefully) maintenance free.

Here is the item list breakdown:

Ammo can $12
    12V 5 watt solar panel with bracket $80
    12V 8amp battery $20
    12V 7amp charge controller $16
    Covert 6V-12V cable $15
    Hardware $10
    3/8 flexible metal tubing $33 for 100' (I already had a spool of it)

Total ~$150

I also took a video of the assembly process and will try to edit and upload that eventually. I think the pictures are self explanatory, I also used silicone around all the holes. The wire is about 6'-7' long if I remember right so it should allow for me to stick it up on the tree above the camera and I'll just screw it into the tree with deck screws.

I think this should be more than enough power to keep it running, I'll also stick some tenergy rechargeable AA batteries in the camera as a backup. I have 32gb class 10 SD cards in the cameras, oh and they are all 2015 models (I upgraded them all last year so I wouldn't have anymore 2g ones). I can always add a 2nd 8amp battery if needed. I plan on just using some bailing wire to keep the plug in the camera (they are also in lock boxes).

One of the covert cables didn't work at all (will not read any voltage) so I will have to get a replacement from them along with a replacement plastic camera lens that broke from a piece of corn I believe. I should have these installed within the next 2 weeks. I know a lot of us have been looking into this type of a set up so I hope this helps give some more insight, thanks!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Looks good and should last a long time! Do you have a link to that solar panel and bracket? I used a feeder control unit from ultramatic with the 150ah solar panel and two 12v batteries, one 10ah the other 15ah in parallel with a total of 25 ah.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TXhoghunter94 View Post
      I've been using the covert special ops wireless game cameras for the past couple of years and I've loved them. However I usually only get 2-4 months out of 12 normal AA batteries when the cameras take about 20-40 pictures a day. I have 3 cameras, each at a different lease so it's a pain to keep them all up and running sometimes because it seems like one is alwasy dead. So I decided to build some 12V systems to keep them (hopefully) maintenance free.

Here is the item list breakdown:

Ammo can $12
      12V 5 watt solar panel with bracket $80
      12V 8amp battery $20
      12V 7amp charge controller $16
      Covert 6V-12V cable $15
      Hardware $10
      3/8 flexible metal tubing $33 for 100' (I already had a spool of it)

Total ~$150

I also took a video of the assembly process and will try to edit and upload that eventually. I think the pictures are self explanatory, I also used silicone around all the holes. The wire is about 6'-7' long if I remember right so it should allow for me to stick it up on the tree above the camera and I'll just screw it into the tree with deck screws.

I think this should be more than enough power to keep it running, I'll also stick some tenergy rechargeable AA batteries in the camera as a backup. I have 32gb class 10 SD cards in the cameras, oh and they are all 2015 models (I upgraded them all last year so I wouldn't have anymore 2g ones). I can always add a 2nd 8amp battery if needed. I plan on just using some bailing wire to keep the plug in the camera (they are also in lock boxes).

One of the covert cables didn't work at all (will not read any voltage) so I will have to get a replacement from them along with a replacement plastic camera lens that broke from a piece of corn I believe. I should have these installed within the next 2 weeks. I know a lot of us have been looking into this type of a set up so I hope this helps give some more insight, thanks!

That's should work perfectly for you as the solar panel is plenty big enough to keep the battery charged.

Originally posted by RMW View Post
      Looks good and should last a long time! Do you have a link to that solar panel and bracket? I used a feeder control unit from ultramatic with the 150ah solar panel and two 12v batteries, one 10ah the other 15ah in parallel with a total of 25 ah.
      Your setup will last a long time but I doubt the solar panel is big enough to keep the batteries charged unless your camera doesn't take many pics. I personally would have not used the 12v 15ah battery and got a bigger solar panel instead.

Comment

Where did you get the solar panel and the solar panel bracket to mount to the Ammo can?

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
          That's should work perfectly for you as the solar panel is plenty big enough to keep the battery charged.

Your setup will last a long time but I doubt the solar panel is big enough to keep the batteries charged unless your camera doesn't take many pics. I personally would have not used the 12v 15ah battery and got a bigger solar panel instead.
          I got my trigger set on 5 min delay, getting 50-60 pics a day. Thinking of going with the bigger solar panel or just switching out batteries every 6 months and recharging them.

Comment

I got my trigger set on 5 min delay, getting 50-60 pics a day. Thinking of going with the bigger solar panel or just switching out batteries every 6 months and recharging them.
            I would say you will need a bigger solar panel taking 50-60 pics a day to keep the batteries fully charged but with the way you have it set up now you should easily get more then a year before needing to charge batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
              I would say you will need a bigger solar panel taking 50-60 pics a day to keep the batteries fully charged but with the way you have it set up now you should easily get more then a year before needing to charge batteries.
              Ok, Thanks! Also I have lithiums in my HCO Spartan just in case it becomes unplugged. I think if voltage on external batteries gets low they will switch over to the internal batteries and not ruin my externals.

Comment

Yes, here is a link to the panel I used.

Comment

Originally posted by dustinztx View Post
                  Where did you get the solar panel and the solar panel bracket to mount to the Ammo can?
                  I just posted the link put forgot to tag you in it.

Comment

I got one camera set up yesterday at our main lease, everything seems to be working well.

We filled feeders and did some maintenance, it was so humid outside yesterday along with all the bugs. We were getting ready to go and got a text from the camera that there was a hog at the feeder only about 400 yards away.

So I filmed my buddy stalk up on the hog and there was a red blind sider light that was on along with a gun light he had. It turned out to be a hog we've had on camera anlog named floppy ear because one of his ears was all cut up. Using technology to help kill these hogs certainly does make it nice!

Comment

top notch. Very similar to what I have on my 3 but I have 2.88 watt panels, but they do the trick

I will use a similar panel if mine ever crap out.

Good work

Comment

are you sure with a 5watt panel you need a controller?

Where did you buy it?

Comment

Originally posted by TXhoghunter94 View Post
                          Yes, here is a link to the panel I used.

http://elusivewildlife.com/shop/feed...ith-cable.html
                          Man that is way overpriced. You can buy a 5 watt 12V solar panel off of ebay for $18.00 with free shipping. You will need a bracket for mounting it though but if you get a couple of big L brackets from Lowes you can easily bend them into shape for a mounting bracket and bolt them to the solar panel. The other thing I would recommend is metal flexible conduit to put the wires in so the varmints can't chew them up. Should be able to get all that and solar panel for around $30.00. Heck of a lot better then $80.00.

Comment

solar panel

do you think this is a good deal for a 5 watt??or should I go to Ebay?The guy I talked to said you need the controller if you run the 5 watt. they sell them there also. its the ss6 model its 44 bucks

Solar battery chargers and controllers for charging batteries using energy from the sun. Available Tech Line and Tutorials for selection of solar systems.

controller link
                            SS-6 Morningstar Sunsaver 6 solar controller is a 6 amp controller, regulating 5 to 80 watt solar panels, or parallel combinations up to 6 amps peak output.

Comment

nice

Comment

Working...
                              X