Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bardominium Build Journal

Hello everyone,

My name is Charles, and I live in Somervell County just southwest of Fort Worth. This thread is to chronicle the journey that my wife and I are about to begin as we embark on a mission to buy acreage and build a barndominium.

I've been around the construction industry for most of my life. My father owns a heating and air conditioning company and brought me and my older brother up in the trade from our youth. I worked for dad for many years before setting off on my own with my own company.

My wife is a stay at home mother of two crazy red headed girls. Before our second came along, she was a 5th grade math teacher. She plans on going back to the classroom once our youngest is in school herself. I'm blessed enough to make just enough to keep us alive as the sole provider.

We bought a neighborhood home in 2011 and have really enjoyed our time in this house. Fortunately for us, the market is up and in our favor. We listed our home and had a full asking price offer within 12 hours. Now that the house is sold, we are going to use that extra money to put down on 13 acres outside of town.

We are going to build a 40'x60' weld-up steel structure with standard ol' galvalume r-panel exterior. Two of the 20' stalls will be living space and the remaining will yield a 20'x40' shop/garage.

The boss lady and I have been drawing plans and making changes for months now, and we think that we've finally come up with something that is doable for our little family. We're going from a little over 2,100 sqft to right at 1,600 sqft. By eliminating things like an office and useless dining room, we're actually going to have a larger living room, kitchen, and bed rooms.

Our plan is to go very basic with as much as possible. We have a tight budget and do not want to go over ~$180,000 total. This price includes the land, well, septic, building, etc.

Some of y'all are probably already rolling your eyes at this, but I think that since I will be personally doing 90% of the work, I should be able to stay under budget.

The land that we've been looking at is at an asking price of 70k. It isn't the most drop dead gorgeous property, but it fits our desires and has been on the market long enough that our realtor feels pretty good about offering 50k and having a pretty decent shot at it. We'll see what happens...

The only bit of visual stimulation that I can offer at this point is a quick shot of my floorplan. I would love some constructive criticism from you guys.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor Plan.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	25065062

I'll follow along. Plans look good. What's the eve height on the building. Have you thought of going taller with the building and giving your master a 20x20 footprint in the 2nd story. And still allowing for 20x10 storage wings down each side for a/c, hot water heaters. Attic space? Will be building something of the like in the next year or so. Good luck

Comment

I'm following along as well

Comment

Originally posted by jmoore2006 View Post
        I'll follow along. Plans look good. What's the eve height on the building. Have you thought of going taller with the building and giving your master a 20x20 footprint in the 2nd story. And still allowing for 20x10 storage wings down each side for a/c, hot water heaters. Attic space? Will be building something of the like in the next year or so. Good luck

The building will have 12' side walls. I'm keeping it a single story dwelling because it will eventually be home to my in-laws once my wife and I have saved enough to build the traditional home. Stairs and the elderly don't mix too well!
        Last edited by cam6467; 08-29-2015, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Here's a look at the 3D sketch mueller came up with for my metal quote...
          Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440828929.590102.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	24400386
          Last edited by cam6467; 08-29-2015, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Any Progress on your build?

Comment

I have done exactly what your doing. Let me know if you have questions.

Comment

Thats gonna be a nice one.

Comment

following

Comment

Looks good. I wish I could convince my wife to live in one. I'm a home builder and at a quick glance, I'd remove the Peninsula in the kitchen and turn it to run parallel with the exterior wall as an island. Reason being is you have created a big kitchen currently but a bottleneck getting in and out. My inlaws have a kitchen design similar to this and it's a major issue. Also, I'd move the door on the same wall as the sink a little closer to the kitchen so you don't waste that space behind the couch. Unless you have a planned piece of furniture or decor to go there. Also, vault your ceilings and it will feel much larger than it is.
                    Last edited by Sticks&Strings; 09-30-2015, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Sticks&Strings, thanks for the advice. I have been busy as heck lately with work and haven't had a chance to play with the plans. I'll shift things around and see how it looks. I think you're on to something with the island idea. The door in the living area will be centered with the room.

I am currently in the process of buying 10 acres from my parents. Once that is done, I'll be doing the clearing and pad work myself. I'll have to hire out the slab, but I'll handle the rest.

We built a very similar house for my brother this year, so I'll know the curveballs to watch for!

My wife isn't the most thrilled about buying land from my folks, but the land is in a great town with a very strong school district. We have a four year old who will be starting kinder next year, so the clock is ticking for us!

I think she'll be on board once she sees the country kitchen and Vermont Castings wood burning stove I'm going to incorporate.

Comment

Subscribed...I love these builds. Good luck and congrats.

Comment

$110,000-130,000 after land purchase, should build you a really, really nice place.

i will start building a 40x50 building with 1200 sq ft living inside (in the next few months) and have everything budgeted under $50K.

building/foundation/septic gonna run around 30K.

Interior framing/appliances/hvac another 10-15K.

per BrianL's barndo thread:

foundation = $5-6 sq ft.
                          building = $10-12 sq ft
                          framing = $5-6 sq ft.

so far all of research has yielded about the same numbers that BrianL supplied. expecting some estimates on my foundation and building work in the next week.

Also, it's gonna cost me $2-3K to run my electric 700 feet from the road. will get an estimate on that and my septic work soon also.

i plan on doing as much of the work as i can to save, but i will need help with foundation/ hvac hook-up/ electric hook-up. will need some help framing the metal building also.

good luck, following...

Comment

Man I like it and I like the idea of the door and kitchen changes as well. So the left is housing, middle has a big roll up door and the right is just covered storage? Me and my wife want to do this as well. And def vault the ceilings. My living room isn't that large but feels big because it's vaulted.

Comment

Originally posted by XBowHunter View Post
                              $110,000-130,000 after land purchase, should build you a really, really nice place.

i will start building a 40x50 building with 1200 sq ft living inside (in the next few months) and have everything budgeted under $50K.

building/foundation/septic gonna run around 30K.

Interior framing/appliances/hvac another 10-15K.

per BrianL's barndo thread:

foundation = $5-6 sq ft.

building = $10-12 sq ft

framing = $5-6 sq ft.

so far all of research has yielded about the same numbers that BrianL supplied. expecting some estimates on my foundation and building work in the next week.

Also, it's gonna cost me $2-3K to run my electric 700 feet from the road. will get an estimate on that and my septic work soon also.

i plan on doing as much of the work as i can to save, but i will need help with foundation/ hvac hook-up/ electric hook-up. will need some help framing the metal building also.

good luck, following...

Who's doing your building? That's a great price

Comment

Working...
                              X