A cheese board and a cheese knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A cheese board and a cheese knife

Here are a couple of firsts for me. My boss wanted me to do a few knives to give his grandkids after he's dead, and he wanted me to inlay his brand in the handle with walnut and maple. I struggled for about a month trying to do those inlays until I finally decided to try a scroll saw the other day. I watched some videos on youtube, then tried it. It worked beautifully.

Then I was at my sister's house and noticed she had her cheese on saucers, so I thought I ought to make her a cheese board kind of like one I saw on youtube:

I make a cheese board with mice inlay on the scroll sawwoodworking projectyou can download the template here:http://fabianhentschel.de/pdf/cheese.pdf

Here is the result:

That seemed to go pretty well, so I thought I'd also make her a cheese knife. Usually I put Eezox on all my knives to protect them from rust, but I didn't want to put a gun oil on the cheese knife, so I decided to try a mustard patina. Here is the result:

I'm pretty happy with how that turned out. What do you think?

Oh, the handle is eastern red cedar. "But wait a minute, Sam, isn't cedar too soft for a knife handle?" Yes, but I stabilized it, so it should be good. :-)

Oh, and I also put the bevel on just one side of the knife so it'll cut kind of like a Japanese knife, leaving big side of the cheese flat and square while the thin side slices off. I just like trying new things. That's one reason I try to say no to people who ask me to do anything custom.

I like it. Good looking knife and board.

Comment

There's another picture of the blade so you can see all the colours in it. I just think this is really cool.

Comment

Like that blade.

Comment

What was the blade steel you used and how long did you have the mustard on it. I have never seen a mustard patina before.Really interesting finish.

Comment

Nice work Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by Foot Patrol View Post
              What was the blade steel you used and how long did you have the mustard on it. I have never seen a mustard patina before.Really interesting finish.
              I don't know what kind of steel it was. I made it out of a handsaw blade. I can tell you, though, that it had a Rockwell hardness between 50 and 55, though. I didn't do any heat treating. I just ground it out.

I did the mustard thing twice. The first time, I did it for one hour, and wasn't totally satisfied with the results, so I did it again for 30 minutes. There are youtube videos about it.

Comment

Very nice. Guess I need a scroll saw now! What was that black and yellow thing by the blade, an air blower?

Comment

I want one of each. Will you make any?

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                    What was that black and yellow thing by the blade, an air blower?
                    I don't know what you're referring to.

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
                      I don't know what you're referring to.
                      It's in the video you posted. Guy keeps adjusting it while cutting.

Comment

Oh, you mean the thing on the scroll saw? Yes, that's an air blower to blow the sawdust off while you cut so you can see what you're doing.

Comment

I like the knife. Very cool.

Comment

Cool knife

Comment

Working...
                            X