125 grain screw in broad head ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

125 grain screw in broad head ?

I am currently shooting the Magnus Stinge 4 blade heads and have killed 3 deer with them. The issue is the aluminum ferrell breaks and the tips curl when hitting bone. I like that I can get them replaced for free but I am looking for a more durable head. I do not like 2 blade heads. I shoot 125 grain heads.

I have not shot them but have read rave reviews of the VPA heads. Also reading alot of "good" about Wensel Woodsman Elites.

Bisch

Comment

Gona be tough to find a 125 that wont have a little give in when hitting bone...just not enough meat in the head. I also think it's tough to beat a 4blade stinger for a 125 trad head.

The VPAs Bisch mentioned are really nice, though I only have experience with the 200s and 250s

Another thought...muzzys were invented by a trad shooter. They seem unconventional for a trad bow, but would work fine if you had some horsepower behind your arrow.

Comment

Montecs are expensive but they make a 125.

Comment

What about the new Woodsman Blood Groove that 3Rivers sells? They are 125 grains...I have no experience with them though.

Comment

The Blood Groove is a VPA product marketed by Woodsman, just like the Woodsman Elite.

Can't go wrong with anything produced by VPA.

Rick

Comment

I was very happily surprised with the metal quality and "toughness" of the VPA 3 blades. Considering the medium that I have hit on accident, I cant imagine that any animal will damage one.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Bones View Post
                I was very happily surprised with the metal quality and "toughness" of the VPA 3 blades. Considering the medium that I have hit on accident, I cant imagine that any animal will damage one.

Steve
                Tha medium? Come on Steve, fess up!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Sanders View Post
                  What about the new Woodsman Blood Groove that 3Rivers sells? They are 125 grains...I have no experience with them though.
                  $59.99 for a 3 pack? $20 each? I sure hope they are good.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                    Tha medium? Come on Steve, fess up!

Bisch
                    Aluminized steel and limestone are most notable... No question that I could hit that practice head with a stone and take it hunting.

Comment

Strickland Helix.

Comment

Well if you don't like a 2 blade and also want to get away from an aluminum ferrell(I don't care for any head with an aluminum ferrell,screws holding the blade in or pressed fit blades) and still want a screw in you really kind of limit your options.

I'd go with the WW's or retune my bow to shoot a heavier head.

Comment

I have some two blade Magnus without bleeders that are really pretty stout and are excellent heads. They are the black ones all welded construction, not the stainless.

Comment

What about the snuffers? Any good?

Comment

Snuffers is what I compare the VPAs to with my above statement. I was a comparatively heavy arrow shooter with compounds too, and have taken a boatload of game with Snuffers. I have also destroyed a bunch of them on game. Granted, one has never let me down, but it will be a tougher head for me from now on. If you want to try them, I have some 125 snuffers new in the pack that I would be happy to send you. It would be a good excuse for me to replace them with 125 VPAs

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X