No announcement yet.

hog hunt at lavon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well that gives me some hope. I'll probably go hunt there later this week. Hopefully it works out. Thanks!

Comment

I've been squirrel huntin on 3 quite a bit. Haven't seen any sign of hogs up there. Kind of strange how they are on the south side of Airport Road, but not over on the north side. And I've covered just about the whole unit. And on top of that, since Novemeber I've only shot 4 squirrels. Place used to be over run with them.

Comment

Randy,

There are a couple of rather large Bobcats that frequent the South Side units, so the little viddles have probably vacated for protection!

Comment

Originally posted by Kokanee View Post
          Randy,

There are a couple of rather large Bobcats that frequent the South Side units, so the little viddles have probably vacated for protection!
          Yeah, and I've noticed a LOT of hawks in the area. It's still fun to get out of the house though. I'm thinkin the hogs are staying down closer to the lake. Thats why I haven't seen any sign of them on 3. Theres no rooting, droppings or any sign of hogs on 3. And I've covered the whole unit.

Comment

How are y'all getting to area 2?

Comment

Should be CR 317 I believe, it's one of them roads over in that area! But it'll drop you to one gate right off the road that splits 2 and 3 and there's another entrance further down by 2 and 1...I can't remember all the exact road numbers but over in that area...pretty easy to find

Comment

Originally posted by cshall999 View Post
                How are y'all getting to area 2?
                There's a gate at the corner of CR325 & CR318. There's another gate just north of there just past the houses on the right. Another gate on the right at CR318 and FM546.

Comment

Cool, y'all say that you have seen pigs in this area? I may have to get to this spot before long. I usually hunt the other side of Lavon.

Comment

Originally posted by cshall999 View Post
                    Cool, y'all say that you have seen pigs in this area? I may have to get to this spot before long. I usually hunt the other side of Lavon.
                    I really don't think there are a lot of them, but like I said, I've only seen sign of them in unit 2.

Comment

I've definitely seen pigs in the area as I live about 1/4 mile away but never actually hunted them out there. I've seen them plenty crossing CR 318. But the two gates, one on the corner of 546 and 318 and one on the corner of 318 and 325 are your best bet for unit 2. There is another gate near the corner of bridge farmer and 546 that will get you down by he river to units 1 or 4.

Comment

They are elusive, and nocturnal! This year there does not appear to be as active as in previous years. It appears there is still good action patterning between private to public land this year. Have stumbled across a few less than covert "assisted" honey holes that seem like they are getting good attendance.

Comment

They are elusive, and nocturnal! This year there does not appear to be as active as in previous years. It appears there is still good action patterning between private to public land this year. Have stumbled across a few less than covert "assisted" honey holes that seem like they are getting good attendance.
                          I've seen a couple of these too. Another reason I think most of the hogs are in #2.

Comment

For what it's worth I've heard lots of people say the hunting is good on the "other" north side between Princeton and farmersville north of 380. I haven't been up there much. I am talking to a lavon ranger tomorrow morning about a few things and will report back here.

Comment

Yep, i've come across quite a few stands, baited sites, trail cams, feeders, and even traps. I have pics of all of it.

I just walk past all of it and hunt deeper.

Comment

Tsu_bowhunter just saw that you thought about working the lake bed. If the river ever comes up enough I have a boat we can take all the way to the lake. We did it a few times in high school but there's a big dam down there that's hell getting over with the river low. Hopefully we get some rain.

Comment

Working...
                                X