Ideas for planting 3-4 acres on a 40 acre property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas for planting 3-4 acres on a 40 acre property

I know to have soil checked and bring in lime, but I need ideas on what to plant in NE Texas. I was thinking of planting a small plot (1/2 acre) or so in soybeans, and maybe a lab lab mix in my medium sized field (1-1/2 acre) and the same in our large field (2 acre). These 3 fields will be hunted over. Any ideas guys? Thanks

RW

throw buckforage oats in and you'll be happy with the results

Comment

Originally posted by robbyreneeward View Post
      I know to have soil checked and bring in lime, but I need ideas on what to plant in NE Texas. I was thinking of planting a small plot (1/2 acre) or so in soybeans, and maybe a lab lab mix in my medium sized field (1-1/2 acre) and the same in our large field (2 acre). These 3 fields will be hunted over. Any ideas guys? Thanks

RW
      If you have any kind of deer density then they will probably wipe out that 1/2 acre of soybeans pretty quick.

Beans and peas are normally a spring/summer plot and used to put good protein in their stomachs for antler growth and body weight. They normally turn brown by deer season and arent attractive unless they have bean pods.

You could plant it in beans or lab lab now and then maybe be prepared to plant a fall crop in Sept. You could even wait until then to plant beans and it would be very young tender growth by bow season.....perfect timing.

Comment

Peas. Also adds nirogen to soil.

Comment

Deer density isn't through the roof here, but there are deer that frequently travel through my property. I am just wanting something to attract the deer to my small chunk of land, and keep them on my property as much as possible during hunting season. I guess I'm looking more for ideas for hunting plots more than supplemental plots.

Comment

Best attractant during hunting season is oats and austrian winter peas. It will attract tons of deer when it gets cold. Ive tried it all, but with 4 acres of oats and winter peas, its on. Just go ahead and plant something tall for a border around where you will be planting for winter now, if there isnt alot of cover. Or you can go for bow, or early season and plant some peas.

Comment

if it's never been planted before work on getting it ripped as deep as possible and kill all the grass you can.

when we start to get some scattered showers in september you can plant the edges like somebody above mentioned (with turnips, shot plot, chicory, whatever warm weather fast growing plant you choose) and wait to plant the main part of the field till around halloween (with your oats, winter peas, wheat mix) for nice rifle plot when the weather gets bad.

I don't see many deer during the rut at our place in Harrison county but I see a ton around christmas on our food plots late in the day.

Comment

I Papaw (Leon Whitsell) farmed in Deport TX for 50+ years, and about 15 years ago (when the deer in N.E Texas were REALLY starting to multiply) the local game warden (Brian Callahan) was glassing an alfalfa field next to our property (trying to catch some local poachers), and told me a story about him counting 40+ deer feeding on a 2 acre patch of alfalfa patch.

BTW....the soil in that area is ideal for growing cantaloupe. You might mix some into your mix for you and the family!

Comment

I like cow peas aand buckforage oats> Do you have a planter? Check out the Golden Valley Cultiseeder its what i us gvtrophy.com is the website

Comment

We have about 40 acres of oats/wheat/rye for winter grazing livestock. It pulls deer from all around, I counted almost 30 deer in that field last year. We never have messed with actual food plots for deer though.

Comment

Working...
                    X