Recipe for wild hog pan sausage needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recipe for wild hog pan sausage needed

How should I make pan sausage out of my wild hog?

I would make it 70/30 or 60/40 wild hog/reg pork then seasoned with whatever seasoning you regularly use.

Comment

Wild hog? I grind mine straight. And I trim as much fat away as I can. Hind quarters nearly always get ground. And sometimes shoulders too. Cajun Blake has a pretty good breakfast sausage spice blend.

Chop meat into 1-2"cubes and spread out on table. Top with spices before grinding (although topping of spices can be done after first grinding). Sage is key in any breakfast sausage. Black pepper is a must. And white pepper will work some too. A bit of salt in there as well. If you like it "hot", then throw in some ground dry red chilies, and japs. A dash of chili powder if you want it a tad dark reddish. But not to much. Your make-n sausage remember? Not chilie . Slight minced garlic if ya want. As for quantity of spices, it depends on the mood I'm in. Use your nose to pre-test. To see if you have the right mix, fry up a test patty. Once you have the right combo, regrind and pack.

Set some unmixed/straight ground pork aside (no spices). And make patties out of it later. If you like ground sirloin, your gonna love straight ground wild pork on the grill.

My fave? I like to leave the back straps on the bone. And saw the whole back across making double sided pork chops. The bigger the hog, the thicker the chops up to 1.5". I cook them over a combination of mesquite and pecan. And top both sides with Tony's More Spice if ya like salt, or Ragin Blaze if ya just want a little heat before putting over the coals. Ribs are my second fave of the wild hog. And they get the same treatment as the chops. Again, takes a pretty good sized hog to make the ribs worthy. I split each side length wise in to two or three 6"-8" strips or racks. Sometimes 4 racks on the really big pigs. And yes, I have a meat band saw, two grinders (#32 and #12), and a commercial grade vacuum packer if your wonder-n . I love hog meat more than deer meat (although deer meat is much better for the body ).
      Last edited by Texas Grown; 11-08-2015, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Just grind and add Harelys seasoning to taste.

Comment

Wtt

Comment

Working...
          X