Dogs in the deer blind??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dogs in the deer blind??

Just checking around to see what others do or don't do? I have two family members that can't go anywhere without the dogs!! I am not a dog hater at all I just don't understand why the dogs have to go in the blind with them. We have a small 300 acre ranch with lots of pressure around us. If we worry about scent control on us and getting the wind right how is this good for hunting?

The dogs run around when going to the blind pee on everything roll around you can't tell me that the big bucks don't smell that?

What say you? BTW If you do it on your place that is fine I am not telling others what to do on their land just getting opinions on the subject.

I’m with you. Can’t even begin to understand that.

Comment

Dogs are great for Duck hunting, wouldn't have them in my blind deer hunting.

Comment

someone has to start the next pot o' coffee, sounds like you've got 2 volunteers

Comment

Ya personally baffles me and both wonder why they don't see big deer sometimes!!

Comment

I doubt the deer can tell a Labrador retriever from a coyote but either one will spook deer some but not as much as you will. I sometimes take my dog along when filling feeders but never when hunting.

Comment

Lots of people sit on stand with a dog. Just depends on how well behaved the dog is and whether the blind can accomodate one. Give me a big, well insulated box blind and a quiet dog that can remain in a down / stay for a couple hours and there shouldn't be any problems.

Comment

Have had my JRT in rifle blind with me but never when bowhunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wife took our JR mix with her one time and he growled at anything that came out. That was his last trip lol !

Comment

Rifle hunting at a good distance I might. However I bowhunt only. I have a Krivoman that's sealed up well. I'm sure I could pull it off. If my lab could negotiate the stair case up I might consider it I guess. Just an not that tied to a dog all the time. Like to take her to the lease and ranch but she stays at the house for the hunts.

Gary

Comment

Used to take my Beagle Lab mix to the blind with me every time and have even taken my wife's Yorkie. That was rifle hunting of course. Never had it bother the deer. She just sat there and didn't bark or anything so I don't see how it could hurt anything. Deer smell dogs/coyotes all the time. I don't take any scent precautions beside watching wind direction.

Comment

I see peoples points about being in an elevated blind and 300 yds from a deer point taken, but to and from it is running around. Every time I pull cam cards and see the darn things is just makes my blood boil.

Not sure if matters that the deer know the difference between a dog and a coyote I think both are the same not good.

Bow hunting should go without saying I guess?

Comment

I’ve brought my lab with me a couple times in a roomy blind. I just told her to lay down and she slept through the hunt. It was fine, saw plenty of deer. Not something I want to do all the time though

Comment

dogs need to stay at camp

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
                              dogs need to stay at camp
                              Your camp...your rules.

Comment

Working...
                              X