• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
    Pm sent
    PM replied

Comment

Well let me throw my $.02 in here. I've been to Keith's twice, both with TBH groups. The first time we went Keith set the tone when he said that he welcomed us as friends, not customers, and even told us some of the things that other day hunt operators do to their clients that he would not do. I appreciated that and I hadn't even unpacked my bow yet!

We had several rams and hogs brought in that trip, I was on an axis hunt and didn't ever have one in sight, but shot a 245# hog and had a blast.

The next time we went was a couple years ago when he was getting a butt ton of rain, everything was green and the animals were NOT coming to the feeders. We hunted in the rain so we could be in stand when it let up, he trucked us in and out as we wanted and helped us every way he could. We hunted HARD, but you can't control the animals. The only person who came back with horns was my wife when she shot her Yellow Dall, a few people shot some hogs, but we all had a great time. I was hunting for rams, and most others were hunting for Axis this trip, but I had Audad at my feeder and saw some NICE Axis just out of bow range between me and the other hunter who was looking for one. We would switch stands around if species were being seen in certain areas to try and get the right hunter in position.

So....this sport is called hunting! The weather and the natural vegitation play a huge role in your success. Especially in that area in this time of year. I will take a place where the owner is a great person and trys his hardest for you to have a successful hunt. It doesn't matter if I bring something home to mount on the wall or not. I will also take the place where the price listed is the price you pay where they do not try to "add-on" items such as cooler use, tracking dog use, skinning, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Phi Phi Hunter View Post
        Well let me throw my $.02 in here. I've been to Keith's twice, both with TBH groups. The first time we went Keith set the tone when he said that he welcomed us as friends, not customers, and even told us some of the things that other day hunt operators do to their clients that he would not do. I appreciated that and I hadn't even unpacked my bow yet!

We had several rams and hogs brought in that trip, I was on an axis hunt and didn't ever have one in sight, but shot a 245# hog and had a blast.

The next time we went was a couple years ago when he was getting a butt ton of rain, everything was green and the animals were NOT coming to the feeders. We hunted in the rain so we could be in stand when it let up, he trucked us in and out as we wanted and helped us every way he could. We hunted HARD, but you can't control the animals. The only person who came back with horns was my wife when she shot her Yellow Dall, a few people shot some hogs, but we all had a great time. I was hunting for rams, and most others were hunting for Axis this trip, but I had Audad at my feeder and saw some NICE Axis just out of bow range between me and the other hunter who was looking for one. We would switch stands around if species were being seen in certain areas to try and get the right hunter in position.

So....this sport is called hunting! The weather and the natural vegitation play a huge role in your success. Especially in that area in this time of year. I will take a place where the owner is a great person and trys his hardest for you to have a successful hunt. It doesn't matter if I bring something home to mount on the wall or not. I will also take the place where the price listed is the price you pay where they do not try to "add-on" items such as cooler use, tracking dog use, skinning, etc.
        Could not agree with you more.

Comment

Originally posted by splitbeam145 View Post
          I have no problem with the KJO report that was posted and I've hunted down there one time and had a great time. Wife and I had several opportunities and we did bring home some Axis deer back and lots of shots. But it was dry and still cool weather so the animals were moving well. I could see the hunting being tough down there with the thick cover if everything was greened up. Keith was a great guide and made us feel like family. I know I'd go back again in a heartbeat but I also know the shot opportunities may not be there if its wet and green, but that would be my choice. I went to Bar E ranch one time also and shot a hog. It was very green and wet. Animals weren't moving much so I had to go in after them and got a spot/stalk hog at 5yds. My buddy was complaining about not seeing much and wouldn't go back. I on the other hand know HF or LF you're still gonna have to put some time in and have a little luck to have successful kills consistently. I see too many "rookies" that think when you pay for a day hunt you automatically will kill something. When they don't, they bash the place. They are some places where the animals will come running to a bucket of corn, but after being shot at a few times they will become "wild" and "elusive" like any wild animals. I only hunt HF places just so I can relax, see different terrains, see different exotics that you don't see anywhere else, and hope I get lucky enough to kill something.
          This might be one reason for this. It is not the first and the op just asking questions. Not that he is BASHING the place but he is not wise of a day lease hunt. Keith called me yesterday about my hunt that is coming up and I asked him about this. Keith said that EVERYBODY WAS HAPPY when they left and no one said anything to him. Now, with that being said if someone was unhappy why would'nt you say something to the guide? He tells everyone fist thing "If there is anything I can do let me know. I WANT EVERYONE TO LEAVE HAPPY AND SATISFIED".
          Last edited by Hogman7290; 04-12-2012, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogman7290 View Post
            This might be one reason for this. It is not the first and the op just asking questions. Not that he is BASHING the place but he is not wise of a day lease hunt. Keith called me yesterday about my hunt that is coming up and I asked him about this. Keith said that EVERYBODY WAS HAPPY when they left and no one said anything to him. Now, with that being said if someone was unhappy why would'nt you say something to the guide? He tells everyone fist thing "If there is anything I can do let me know. I WANT EVERYONE TO LEAVE HAPPY AND SATISFIED".
            Said the same thing to us.

Comment

wow...this seems to be getting blown waaaay outta proportion!! OP just got on here to state his opinion of a day lease. Although rarely, if ever, are there any negative comments about KJO, not everyone can be %100 satisfied. some of you guys take it way to personal if a hunter gets on here and says something bad about your favorite hunting lease. We all know, because we hear it time and time again, what kind of guy Keith Johns is and what kind of operation he runs. I dont think that 1 thread is gonna change everyone's mind about that.

I appreciate his comments and his point of view of the ranch and the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by bu2herndog View Post
                Unfortunately everytime somebody gives a less than stellar review on here of a place that TBH'ers frequent, then the forum police come out and bash the person for giving their experience.

I didn't even see it as being a bad review, just somebody asking a few questions, additionally I have personally seen on here where people have said that Keith will let you upgrade. So the OP posting what happened when they wanted to upgrade is only fair, right?
                well stated....

Comment

It's like this, if you want to kill something there are places to go, if you want to hunt, then there are other places.

I will go back to KJO regardless of what anybody says about Keith. I have 2 favorites and the other is a sponsor and I try to do 1 hunt per year at each place.

Comment

Lol wow guys, this has really gotten out of control haha i am in no way trying to pursuade anyone from going there. All i did was post our experience and ask if it was the norm. Now i cant remember all the queations so if ive missed yours then pm me and ill gladly answer. But as for how early we had told keith we disnt want to get picked up before 10:30 am but anytime after was fine and it qas around 9:15- 9:30 when he did. And yes there was one kid in our group who would sit for about 2 hours then get up and walk around. As for that it was his.very first time to hunt anything ever and he was only 17. Now that being said keith told us there were lots of snakes so it was better not to walk around. Lol that wasnt gonna scare him off. And keith didnt seem to have a problem with it. And as for being told we wernt welcome back he never said that to us. I just assumed after hear from someone i was running him and his ranch down that we wernt. Now then, im no rookie to hunting just to the day lease thing. I understood we were going into tough conditions but there were alot of unfullfilled promises. Then him now offering his special where u only pay ur deposit if you dont kill your animal really shows his colors to me. Because i am assuming he started that because of my post.

Comment

If you had "unfulfilled promises" why didn't you ask him about them? As for the deposit thing, he has been thinking of doing this since march 1 . I'm in no way defending him nor you , just curious. I do appreciate the post and do value peoples thoughts on day leases , and am in no way trying to "stir the pot" but simple questions . It just seems odd that this happened to you

Comment

The second night we were there we tried but at 9 oclock we started cooking him.and.cooper dinner and he left not to be seen again till the next morning. Then after being picked up so early it was really just kind of uncomfortable and we'd all just rather pay then make a scene.

Comment

I can ( along with a few others) say that maybe this might of been an"off" weekend for him. Like I said I'm not defending him . In my opinion ,I would give him a shout and visit with him and make a second trip and then see how it goes. When We talked the other day he was curious about the deal . Just a thought .

Comment

Ill probably contact him soon if nothing else to show him i wasnt running him or his ranch down.

Comment

Originally posted by codyw2006 View Post
                              Ill probably contact him soon if nothing else to show him i wasnt running him or his ranch down.
                              Always the best thing to do. I think things will work out just fine Best of luck

Comment

this is the dumbest **** thread I have ever read. The guy gives his opinion and everyone gets there panties in a wad about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X