Tonight's GOP Debate - Embarrassing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight's GOP Debate - Embarrassing?

After watching the debate tonight, I am a little bit embarrassed that this is my party. I was hoping it wasn't as bad as it looked as I was watching it. But seeing the post debate analysis, it was worse. Looked and sounded like a bunch of overgrown kids up there.

We may be screwed this election.

It was pretty bad

Comment

Hard to imagine these debates winning over anyone who isn't already a staunch republican. We certainly don't come across as an inclusive party.

Comment

It's Trump. He was unbelievably repulsive and terrible, as usual. He's like the school yard bully jerk that the teachers won't punish. The others can either let him have free reign, or they can stand up and punch him in the mouth. Either way, it's bad for them. The only people who aren't repulsed by him are his supporters. They either love it or they don't care that he's terrible. I just don't understand it at all.

It's a huge embarrassment for the conservative movement. No question. I wish everyone other than Cruz would drop out immediately after the SC primary. He's right in that he is the only one who stands a chance at beating Trump. I'd much rather see Trump defeated before the convention. A brokered convention would be 100X worse than that debate was tonight. Trump would be threatening to sue everybody and/or leave and run as an independent if he doesn't get the nomination and all of that. He'll probably do that anyway, I imagine. He seems hellbent on destroying any hope of getting a Republican in the White House.
        Last edited by Shane; 02-13-2016, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Trump needs to go away for sure. I can't go for Cruz though either. We have just had 8 years of gridlock because we elected a president of the "left". Can't see anything getting better or done if we elect a president of the "right", which is what I think Cruz would be.

Comment

Originally posted by ttechdallas View Post
            Trump needs to go away for sure. I can't go for Cruz though either. We have just had 8 years of gridlock because we elected a president of the "left". Can't see anything getting better or done if we elect a president of the "right", which is what I think Cruz would be.
            Gridlock when Obama is in the White House is a good thing though. If the Dems had controlled Congress all this time, we wouldn't be talking about gridlock. We'd be talking about how much fun it used to be back when we could own guns and speak our mind in public and such.

A good conservative in the White House with a Republican Congress won't lead to gridlock.

Comment

Sorry, but I'm always a bit amused when people think a debate shouldn't have much....debate. I thought it was a vigorous debate with some substantive issues discussed, with the side benefit that it allowed Donald Trump to show what an unhinged blowhard he is. Many times. Here are my overall thoughts:

Trump has had some trainwreck moments in every debate, but I think he had quadruple the number in this debate than any other. He looked really irritated and flustered many times, obviously got booed all over the place, just looked so unprofessional and unpresidential. Not to mention his answers were just more of the same nonsense for the most part, heavy on cliches and campaign slogans, extremely light on details and specifics. The exchange about profanity will definitely not do Trump any favors with South Carolina voters. I still can't believe he mouthed "F*** You" on the stage, on live national television, in South Carolina. Even his "what the hell" comment will turn some SC voters off, guaranteed. His flubs tonight are too numerous to mention, but let's just say he heavily confirmed the attacks on him not being a Conservative.

Rubio didn't have any major flubs like in the last debate, and he did have some good moments, but I never can shake the impression that he is using talking points and that he is very nervous and forcing things. He talks way too fast and sometimes I feel as though he's yelling. Irritating. He looked like a dolt, though, when he got smarty-pants with Cruz about not being able to speak Spanish, then Cruz replied to him, in perfect Spanish. Rubio was not expecting that. Pretty funny. He told multiple lies about Cruz's record, but then, he does that at every debate (and at all his rallies). And then he called Cruz a liar when Cruz pointed out Rubio's record on certain things.

Kasich, not worthy of much comment, but he lied about the Medicaid/Obamacare thing.

Jeb was very aggressive, and did get some hits in on Trump, but I thought some of it felt a little gratuitous and not really relevant to the topic being discussed. Jeb might have helped himself a little, little bit, but I just don't think he's ever going to get enough votes in these primaries to be the nominee.

Carson was...an advertisement for his web site.

Cruz was very solid all the way through, had some very substantive answers, particularly on the Supreme Court. I was also so glad that he finally got into it with Trump. Trump lost it, while Cruz was cool and collected, and right.

Comment

I guess I didn't hear as much debating on issues as I did insulting and talking over each other.

I will never be able to support Cruz. He just strikes me as a right wing version of Obama. When you define every problem the country faces as being solely rooted in the other party (see Obama), you start prioritizing conquering the other party over doing what's best for the country (see Obama).

You can't lead by cramming your views down the throats of those who believe differently (see Obama). Just don't see how we can afford another 4 years or 8 years with another ideologue as president, even if he is republican.

Comment

I guess I didn't hear as much debating on issues as I did insulting and talking over each other.

I will never be able to support Cruz. He just strikes me as a right wing version of Obama. When you define every problem the country faces as being solely rooted in the other party (see Obama), you start prioritizing conquering the other party over doing what's best for the country (see Obama).

You can't lead by cramming your views down the throats of those who believe differently (see Obama). Just don't see how we can afford another 4 years or 8 years with another ideologue as president, even if he is republican.
                  So who gets your support for the primary nomination? Jeb?

Comment

We haven't had an ideologue Republican as President since the 80's. Maybe we should try it again.

Comment

I'm paying the most attention to Kasich, but would probably opt for Bush if he falls out. Governors have historically fared far better as US presidents than senators because they have learned how to manage while working with the opposition as well as massive staffs and budgets.

The Cruz challenge is that he is disliked by this own side almost as much as the Dems. So it doesn't matter if the republicans have the majority or not, he won't. On top of that, the guy's honesty and integrity are showing some serious cracks. Our best bet for drawing enough independent votes to beat Hillary may be having a truly honest, reasonable candidate.

Comment

I agree with you a lot, but you're preaching to the wrong audience, bro. This group is as diehard as they come.

Comment

3 ring circus full of clowns.

Comment

I think Trump did damage since it looked and sounded like a Jerry Springer show. It does not help that they get liberals questioning them. Why are there never conservatives questioning them? Do the dems allow conservatives to question them? Hardly. Trumps supporters are like Ron Pauls, they are die hard. I think people are just so frustrated that he is FU voice of the masses against the administration and establishment.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                              It's Trump. He was unbelievably repulsive and terrible, as usual. He's like the school yard bully jerk that the teachers won't punish. The others can either let him have free reign, or they can stand up and punch him in the mouth. Either way, it's bad for them. The only people who aren't repulsed by him are his supporters. They either love it or they don't care that he's terrible. I just don't understand it at all.

It's a huge embarrassment for the conservative movement. No question. I wish everyone other than Cruz would drop out immediately after the SC primary. He's right in that he is the only one who stands a chance at beating Trump. I'd much rather see Trump defeated before the convention. A brokered convention would be 100X worse than that debate was tonight. Trump would be threatening to sue everybody and/or leave and run as an independent if he doesn't get the nomination and all of that. He'll probably do that anyway, I imagine. He seems hellbent on destroying any hope of getting a Republican in the White House.

Trump's fault? Really? Everyone except Kasich and Carson acted like bafoons. If these guys are the best we have we have no best. How stupid to let the people running the debate lead them into "fight like little kids" trap for ratings sake. They fell for it hook line and sinker. Cruz/Rubio Bush/Trump. Imagine one of these wanna be's going up against someone like Putin.

This debate was nothing more than a food fight from Animal House. And, it was led by the top four.

Comment

Working...
                              X