Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14' Pirogue for LeanMachine

I was recently contacted by LeanMachine with the following:

"I believe I remember that you have built several yaks. We just leased a piece of property with a large marsh and a good creek that goes to the back of property that is about the only way to access it. I'd like to build a yak that would be stable, not overly long, and capable of hauling out a deer or pig. The trip will only be about 1/2 mile or less one way. Do you know of a set of plans that will fit the bill? A stitch and glue would likely be better. I am not intimidated by a strip build but would prefer to avoid the expense building a strong back."

After a few exchanges, he is leaning towards a 14' boat so here is what my preliminary design looks like. I'll do some more tweaking and then do a quick study model from a piece of poster board. If all looks good, I'll work on a set of plans. I'm thinking about offering a crude set of free plans here for anyone interested, and I'll charge some sort of fee for a full blown detailed set of plans once I complete them. LeanMachine will be the guinea pig for this design so I won't charge him for them as I'll want to get feedback from him on how the boat performs once he builds it.

I figured I'd post this here to keep up on my radar since I have so many things going on in my life. Once he has something to build from, maybe he'll take over and post his build on this thread.

30 years ago we used to get kits from hardware stores in La.

Comment

Im liking the look of it! Just what i had in mind.

Comment

I have built a few 14' pirogues. Fun little boats. I actually have a 14' cypress strip one that I need to get finished.

Comment

I bought some balsa wood today. Hope to have a scale model completed soon. I need to prove out a couple of lines where the bottom and sides meet. This will tell me what I need to know. Stay tuned LeanMachine.

Comment

Im watching

Comment

Following! About what would it cost from start to finish on a little boat like this?

Comment

Had to wait until my family duties ended today to do any work. My wife and Kiddos retired earlier so I did a little work.

Here are most of my supplies.

I scaled the geometry to fit on the balsa wood I purchased which is 3" wide. It's printed 1:1 scale so I had to do two prints that were shifted as it's larger than what would fit on one page.

Here is how they will overlap.

Here it is taped together and trimmed.

I'll grab some double stick tape from my shop tomorrow to hold the paper to the wood.

Comment

Originally posted by cwill View Post
                  Following! About what would it cost from start to finish on a little boat like this?
                  Once I have plans completed, I'll do an estimated build cost. Costs will be determined by a lot of factors which I'll list out later.

Comment

Can't wait to see it mocked up.

Comment

I've already made a change which I've implemented before I cut stuff out tonight. When the wood is bent to form the boat shape and attached at the ends, it will create a lot of rocker in the bottom of the boat and I want to keep it as flat as possible. To help with this, the bottom has an arc that will flatten out once the sides are attached together.

Hoping to have some construction pics tonight.

Comment

You da man

Comment

Following this. I've spent the past few days looking for a small boat to take my nephew out in. I think a pirogue might be too tipsy for a 5 year old to fish from, but I'm thinking about building one for myself to have another fishing option than the kayak. Seriously thinking about a small freighter canoe but a jon boat or garvy would be much more useful for the little ones.

Comment

I worked on this some last night but didn't like the way it was going. Even though it's balsa wood, it takes a lot to manipulate it to the curves I want. I'm probably going to have to rig up a steaming setup so I can steam it and bend to the shape I want. I also didn't like how the lines of the boat were proceeding based on initial testing, so I've made some changes. Hoping to have a model by the end of the week.

Comment

I think I finally have what I was after but won't know for sure until it's all put together. I also switched to 6 ply poster board as it will be easy to cut, easy to tape together and will bend easily and hold it's shape. Here are the finished pieces.

I should have a some mock up pictures shortly.

Comment

Working...
                              X