Back Patio Deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back Patio Deck

We moved into our house back in August & the main thing that has always bugged me is the cracked concrete slab in the backyard. I've been wanting to build a deck over it ever since we moved in. I recently got a deal on some composite deck boards so the build was on this weekend. Here's a timeline of events through photos. All in all I had about 12 hours worth of work into it. I'm pretty happy with the results, especially for my first deck building experience.

Before

Blocks in the ground

Framed up

Finished product

Very Nice. I am about to take on a similar project next month and will be looking for a good deal on composite decking as well.

Comment

very nice looking!

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Cool pics, hope that is treated wood!

Comment

Very nice. I need to build the same thing. What's your dimensions?

Comment

Sweet! I couldn't find a deal on composite, so I ended up going with regular old pressure treated 5/4x8' and doing the deck in floating 8'x8' modules. Got the odd shaped one to cover the inset back porch first then added on two modules past that. Gonna knock out at least 4 if not 7 more as I get a chance to buy the materials. I figured it up at about $120 per module for lumber, not counting the concrete block and screws I already had.

Comment

Hey guys. Need some deck advice while I've got y'all on the line.

I have a small back porch slab that I want to cover up. But the drop off from back door to the slab is only about 5-6". The slab and yard slope slightly away from the house so I can use the concrete piers like pictured above on Weasel's deck when I get out past the slab..

But what's the best way to build it where it butts up against the house? Should I try to anchor it to the foundation? There's not room to put anything except maybe a 2x6 (maybe only a 2x4). Should the frame just rest on the slab or should I try to anchor it somehow? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ignore the deer stand and you can see what I'm talking about on the slab. Also have the foundation/wall to the far right that it will be up against.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SD531208.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	24191757

Comment

That looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill's Unlimited View Post
                    Cool pics, hope that is treated wood!
                    Yes sir, definitely treated lumber

Comment

Good looking deck man.

Comment

Originally posted by weasel View Post
                        Yes sir, definitely treated lumber
                        Roger, it would rot / get eaten away quickly in my neck of the woods it is wasn't...

Comment

Originally posted by flynavy22 View Post
                          Very Nice. I am about to take on a similar project next month and will be looking for a good deal on composite decking as well.
                          let me know if you find any, the finish on our deck doesnt last long with dogs

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                            Hey guys. Need some deck advice while I've got y'all on the line.

I have a small back porch slab that I want to cover up. But the drop off from back door to the slab is only about 5-6". The slab and yard slope slightly away from the house so I can use the concrete piers like pictured above on Weasel's deck when I get out past the slab..

But what's the best way to build it where it butts up against the house? Should I try to anchor it to the foundation? There's not room to put anything except maybe a 2x6 (maybe only a 2x4). Should the frame just rest on the slab or should I try to anchor it somehow? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ignore the deer stand and you can see what I'm talking about on the slab. Also have the foundation/wall to the far right that it will be up against.
                            That's about how much drop I had between my back door & the slab. I used 2x4s so that when the deck boards were added to the top it came out almost flush with the backdoor. As far as anchoring the deck to the slab, I wouldn't worry about it. By the time you have all the concrete blocks in the ground, the deck isn't going to be able to move at all. I dug the blocks down so the 2x4 frame could sit flush on top of the concrete slab already in place. You can jump up & down on the deck now & it doesn't move at all.

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
                              X