I Need Input on Driveway Gates!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Need Input on Driveway Gates!

Our place is within a subdivision just outside the city limits. The lot has a lot of heavy brush/trees on the perimeter of the 4 acres. I have a half circle driveway with two entrances/exits, so I'm considering obtaining and installing two drive through gates that will operate by remote door/gate openers and without a push button on the box that negate even having a gate. I don't want to run electricity out to both locations, so they would be powered by solar/battery.

The intent is to keep unwanted guests from driving in and out, not to stop pedestrians or animals. The place isn't fenced.

What should I look at for 12 ft. gates, openers, posts, etc.? Are there other backup options other than a semi-hidden button to activate the gates?

I have a US Automatic double gate opener. It's all solar powered. I have dual keypads (one high, one low) for both trucks and cars. It comes with two remotes. US Automatic is using the same actuators as Apollo used to use. Apollo changed their actuators and control boards and started having issues. I highly recommend the US Automatic.

Comment

Five strand barb wire gap Mason. Just don't make so tight that Mama can't open it.

Comment

First off, your gates are too small. If any woman will drive through them then it is 16' minimum. People think I'm joking and so, I get to repair a lot of gates.

Two Apollos would be the cheapest, quality option with a 2 button remote and bury an auto egress for the main outlet gate.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, well, except for the one from Old Goat1.

I agree with the too small comment. I pull a couple of trailers in and out on occasion and will likely go with a 16' gate at each entrance.

Anybody else?

Comment

Comment

Love my Apollo and haven't had any problems with it.

Comment

16' for sure. And they will still nearly hit it. I use a lift master, solar power. No regrets.

Comment

I agree on 16'. We have a 12' entrance on our driveway that narrows to 10' in the middle. We have had a wrecker out to pull one of my wives friends out of the ditch. I don't understand how they ends up at a 90' angle to the driveway when backing up 30'???

Comment

Not to mention that backup cameras were in use getting to perpendicular on the driveway.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoootLow View Post
                      I agree on 16'. We have a 12' entrance on our driveway that narrows to 10' in the middle. We have had a wrecker out to pull one of my wives friends out of the ditch. I don't understand how they ends up at a 90' angle to the driveway when backing up 30'???
                      Well don't let them back a trailer for you. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by ShoootLow View Post
                        Wow

Comment

At least 16ft. Lift master LA412 with solar and you can run wireless keypads to run the gates. Lift master also makes a module so you can connect the gates to your home network and open them from your phone.

Comment

Thanks again, guys. There's quite a spread of $ between them. Anybody used (with good results) the Might Mule (about 1/2 the cost and 1/3rd the warranty)?

Comment

Mighty mules arnt worth the box they come in.
                              Go with usautomatic or the la412

Comment

Working...
                              X