Is a Bearded Hen Rare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a Bearded Hen Rare?

I have very little experience with Turkey, but I shot a bearded hen in Kansas this passed weekend and couple guys are telling me they are pretty rare and I should put her on a fan mount also.

I don't think they are that rare. I don't like to shoot turkeys I've seen several.

Comment

I don't think they are really rare but it's a low percentage of hens that have them.

Comment

Not what I would call rare. I've got a group of about 20 hens on my place and I've seen at least 1 in that group. Have seen others over the years on my place.

Comment

I've seen a few. I wouldn't say rare, but still cool.

Comment

Pics
            Attached Files

Comment

I thought I read somewhere that about 10% of hens have beards. That kinda goes with what I have seen the last couple of years. I'd say about 1 in every 10 hens had a beard. Last hunt I had a group of 8 hens and when they eventually trotted off, I noticed one had a beard.

I wouldn't call that rare, but regardless, I'd probably still mount the fan because you have story to go with it.

How long was her beard?

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                I thought I read somewhere that about 10% of hens have beards. That kinda goes with what I have seen the last couple of years. I'd say about 1 in every 10 hens had a beard. Last hunt I had a group of 8 hens and when they eventually trotted off, I noticed one had a beard.

I wouldn't call that rare, but regardless, I'd probably still mount the fan because you have story to go with it.

How long was her beard?
                5-6" Id say

Comment

Not very rare. We see them almost every year. I had two at same time in a group of 9 hens at a feeder last fall. But, who cares...congrats on a great kill. If you want to get a mount do it, if not carry on.

Comment

It was cold! Snow and 55 mph winds
                    Attached Files

Comment

Agreeing with all the above, not super common, but does happen. My dad shot one last weekend. A group of about a dozen hens came in and at least 4 of them had beards. Before this season, all I had ever known was the little Jake beard on the hens, this season we have a few that would go 6"+. One thing I did find amusing, one performed a very good strut sequence. Even drummed and and spit.
                      If the fan will remember the story I would still do it. I am doing my dads hen with her 5" beard

Comment

I haven't turkey hunted in 4 years and only 4 times in my life till this past weekend. Ive seen 3 and 2 of those was this past week

Comment

I used to think they were until I got on my lease in Christoval. We have them everywhere. Humper killed one with a 5-6" beard a few years back. I pass on them all the time because I'm more of a spurs guy but I have threatened to shoot them for the novelty of it. It is nothing for us to have a group of 10 birds in and have 2-3 bearded hens.

My grandmother, who was a turkey hunting fiend, thought more of a bearded hen than a regular ol gobbler as far as a trophy. She would have gone nuts at our place in Christoval..

Comment

No.
                            15% of Rio hens in Texas according to TPWD.

Comment

No....not rare. See them all the time

Comment

Working...
                              X